• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Btw, this is off the topic this week but it just hit me: spoiler[I was thinking that there were few characters that lived outside the Sohma family and one of them was Ayame. I don't know if we have mentioned this but how exactly did he gain this freedom? Because we all know how Shigure got his.....]

In volume eighth, chapter 47 when Ayame was thinking about Yuki he said "I also sold you out, to gain my own liberty" Maybe he think that if he don't bring trouble to Akito, she may let him go live alone Question
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:

In volume eighth, chapter 47 when Ayame was thinking about Yuki he said "I also sold you out, to gain my own liberty" Maybe he think that if he don't bring trouble to Akito, she may let him go live alone Question

Well, this is why I asked that because I ran spoiler[into this fragment and I was imagining how come he has succeeded in gaining so much freedom because from what we know ,Shigure is the only one that gained his freedom only because he cheated Akito with Ren.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Which is probably how spoiler[he was able to talk to Kyoko when she was terrified after knowing that she became pregnant and was afraid that she wouldn't be able to raise her child. I think that problem was obviously from her parents.]

[OT] Well, one can only imagine spoiler[that Ayame probably did have to go through Akito, because I don't think there's any other way that a Zodiac can get out of the Sohma household. Who knows, Akito might have been glad to let Ayame go, especially with his outgoing personality. Another thing to consider is that she probably was occupied with Yuki anyway, why bother with the Snake?]

I have to go into work tomorrow morning at 7 am. I had to do the same thing this morning as well. I don't know whether it will kill me or the thought of the money can keep me alive Mad

BTW, I've decided the character for next week. She should bring some interesting conversation out, definetly. Then again, all of them do. Hint posted tomorrow night, official announcement Saturday night.
And I want to congratulate everybody who has participated in this thread. It has now been viewed at least 10000 times by people here at ANN Very Happy
aya_honda

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:06 am Reply with quote
Ok, I declare myself satisfied with the things that had been said about Ayame. I just get hit by things along the way, so what can I say?! I bet that later on, new things will come to my mind but hopefully this only means that there are so many things to talk about this manga. Embarassed

As for Katsuya spoiler[I think that he would have been a really great parent especially by the way he behaved with Tohru and by the philosophy that he had regarding raising children. He was a good man....and I am just happy that Tohru has decided to keep pictures with him.]

Good luck, fighterholic, with the work: I myself went to bed at 5 am and I had to get up at 11 am today. Damn.... I really need to get some sleep. Embarassed

I'm curious about the next character... can't wait for the new hint. Wink

Edit: Damn, I am so tired that I did a lot of mistakes. Never write something in a second language when you have slept only four hours during the night. Arrow My advice. Embarassed
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm posting the hint now, because I'll be going out for a couple hours and probably won't be back till late. Before that, I am glad that we were able to make discussion about Katsuya last till this point, with us Fruits Basketholics, we can make any subject or character last a long time Wink
Now for the hint: spoiler[She is a Zodiac, and a nightmare to somebody] Twisted Evil
There's been talk about volume 15 breaking back into the top 100 of the booklist that FB seems to be on, how far do you think it will go when the later volumes are released? Wink
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
spoiler[She is a Zodiac, and a nightmare to somebody] Twisted Evil

**horrified gasp!**

How dare you call dear, sweet, kind and gentle Kagura-san a spoiler[nightmare!]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:32 am Reply with quote
Well spoiler[she's made hell for Kyo for most of his life] Rolling Eyes
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:38 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Well spoiler[she's made hell for Kyo for most of his life] Rolling Eyes

Laughing

spoiler[You know he secretly likes it! Wink Laughing Laughing ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:16 am Reply with quote
spoiler[So he does] Laughing
A little off-topic, at the end of the last chapter of FB there was an announcement that said that Ms. Takaya's next project will start being run starting in the Spring of 07'. As far as I know, it looks like she's had two adventure series released as well, but I need to look at the contents of these series to confirm that. That aside however, would you like to see a drama or an adventure genre series from Ms. Takaya next?
My answer will be that if she hasn't made any adventure series, I would like to see one of that genre from Takaya sensei. Can you imagine someone looking like Tohru or Kyo having to figure out how to make an attack or something in a series like that? Wink
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:02 am Reply with quote
Poor Kagura... spoiler[Though she definetly made Kyo's life a living hell sometimes... Laughing But she surely is an interesting character and I think that she will trigger some really funny discussions. Wink ]

Btw, yes, most certainly I would like to see something like that coming from Takaya-san. But I can't possibly imagine a character looking like Tohru having to imagine or to figure out out attack to have next. Laughing That would be too hilarious, but never the less I will restate my hope that and confidence in Ms. Takaya's next project. A person so talented like her must bring the best. Very Happy
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:20 pm Reply with quote
And so it comes, the official announcement for our next character of the week! Welcome to Kagura week. Dear Kagura, the first female Zodiac to be introduced in the story of Fruits Basket. Feminine, yet not so feminine Wink And with all the things that went on, spoiler[her unofficial "engagement" to Kyo, as well as the dark secret that she kept and hurt herself with all these years.] And so I go on:
Characters related to Kagura:
- Kyo
- Yuki
- Tohru
- Rin
- Momiji??

Obviously not a lot of people, and I don't want to try and read through all 21 books to try and figure out who else she was involved with. If someone remembers feel free to contribute, thanks!

Definetly a character that can be surprising right from the beginning. When spoiler[she shows up for the first time towards the beginning of the series, she at first is very quiet and shy like. But then when she sees Kyo, we get to see her true form, showing her love for Kyo by BEATING him up!!] Laughing

Edit: Tagged

Last edited by fighterholic on Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Oh, definetly Kagura doesn't resemble to her spoiler[ innocent face that she puts in the beginning when we see her with her big eyes, so shy and Tohru even thinks she is really sweet just to have Kyo bit up the next thing....She is a very energetic woman, to say the least. Wink I remember that once Kyo was explaining how the animals feel the jyuuunishi and how they are drawn to them and once they were going through the woods a bunch of boars got near them and they were scared that they might be killed. Rolling Eyes ]

But the most important person for her is definetly Kyo. Wink spoiler[I mean, the man had to endure a lot coming from her but she was the first one to want to be near him, even if it was because of her guilty conscience. I remember how Shigure used to calm her down by pushing Kyo in her arms. She is a very intelligent character and I liked the way she confessed everything to Kyo but still understanding finally that her feelings could have been entrusted for the simple fact that she has ended by truly falling in love with Kyo.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:17 am Reply with quote
Yes, spoiler[with her confessing how she truly felt about Kyo and what made her do what she did brought true closure to the character, though rather early in the climax of the series. But yet it was something that needed to be done, and I liked how it turned out.]

I like how spoiler[Shigure just knows what's going to happen to his house, or when Kagura punched through the door, and all Shigure could do was stare at the hole Laughing When Kagura first came in, and she started to beat up Kyo, Shigure and Yuki both ducked while she jumped over the table to get to Kyo as well.]

spoiler[But for the longest time, she was forcing herself to live a lie, to fall in love with Kyo to protect her own interests. But I think that she found herself becoming distant from him when it was Tohru that brought him back from when his beads got removed. After that also, it looked to me like she found herself becoming more calm towards him, until that fateful day when she released herself from her lies. And by doing that, she found true love, which I think wasn't anything that she expected.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:58 am Reply with quote
Well, Shigure spoiler[did know her soft spot. Wink Laughing ]

I know that spoiler[ Kagura's affection for Kyo was triggered by her own selfish interests especially as she had a quite guilty conscience but nonetheless I can't help my self thinking that she helped him a lot. Her way of being (so energetic, so violent and yet so happy) was somehow of help for a guy that didn't ask from life much since he had lived so many tragedies. Even Kyo admitted in that park scene that she has helped him a lot and that he has to be thankful for this. And also Kyo should be grateful to Kagura for some other reason: she is the one that punched Tohru back then at Kazuma's place and told her that she has to state her true feelings to Kyo, because in a way she already knew that Kyo has fallen for Tohru. She felt something when he told her that he won't be able to love her the way she wanted it.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:55 pm Reply with quote
When Kyo spoiler[wanted to tell Kagura how he truly felt about her, I think she knew what he was going to say, but she didn't want to hear it right then and there. Which is probably why she asked him to go on one final date with her so that she could reminisce and finally get everything off her chest.] Everything made sense in what she said, and these explained a lot of questions that were asked in the beginning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 35 of 170