• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:28 am Reply with quote
Wow. It's been kind of dead these days, really doesn't help when the volumes containing some of the most important things about Rin's character aren't released in the US of A. One quick thing, and I say that spoiler[Rin's story is pretty much 80% done when Haru finds her that last time in the street after she escaped from the hospital. His words were the ones that she needed to know that her journey was done, and she wasn't alone anymore.] And that is my closer for Rin, onto the next hint for the upcoming week.

Hint: spoiler[Yuki's self proclaimed love rival.]
If that isn't obvious enough I don't know what is Laughing
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I'll make this post as a closure for Rin's week although this is officially over. I loved the way her story developed and it reached to one of the deepest levels in the manga. The fact that most of these chapters are not released in the US is a shame. I would have really loved to talk about her story with more people and more detailed (not that I don't appreciate your opinion, fighterholic, Very Happy , I just would have liked that more people would have come here this week).

Rin's story continues almost to the final chapters. spoiler[I remember that towards the end of the manga there is a a discussion between Tohru and Rin about what happened and how the jyuunishi should react after the apologies (well, they weren't exactly apologies) of Akito. And Rin was saying at that point that she can't forgive or forget what happened. She was surprised that even Kyo who has suffered so much (they are one of the most tormented zodiacs, it's true) has forgotten about Akito's stupid deeds. She was asking herself at that point whether she is a bad person thinking like this. ]

I thought at the time and even now that spoiler[she has a perfect excuse for that. Although my recommendation would have been to totally and completely try to forget everything that has happened afterwards and just move along. But she would need much time for that. But I think that she would be one of the characters who would need time to heal after this. ]

Fighterholic, could be spoiler[Nabe]?
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quote
What volume will it be reveled that spoiler[ Akito is actually a girl- I am waiting patiently for that to happen but my hopes are crushed eveytime I buy the latest version of Fruba. I have a friend who knows about the spoiler but refuses to believe that it's true so I want that volume to prove it.]

I actually somehow manged to stay away from Rin spoilers.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:
What volume will it be reveled that spoiler[ Akito is actually a girl- I am waiting patiently for that to happen but my hopes are crushed eveytime I buy the latest version of Fruba. I have a friend who knows about the spoiler but refuses to believe that it's true so I want that volume to prove it.]

I actually somehow manged to stay away from Rin spoilers.

Volume 17 You can clearly see it in chapter 97 and 101.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quote
All new posters welcome!! Very Happy I want to thank you for that closure aya_honda, definetly something to think about for people who have yet to read the remaining volumes of the series in the US of A.

Thus I close Rin week, and open up Naohito Sakuragi week. He is not so much a character who has a major impact on the main part of the storyline, rather coming in to give us some comic relief but also another side to Motoko Minagawa (discussion a few pages back). He proclaims himself to be the rival of Yuki, going after the heart of the one he loves, who loves Yuki. Easy to understand right?

Characters related to Naohito:
- Yuki
- Kakeru
- Machi
- Kimi
- Motoko

Boy, this isn't so complex, but I hope that there will be discussion since his story is in the volumes released in the US of A (except for 17).

Edit: Tagged

Last edited by fighterholic on Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Nao!!!! Embarassed Laughing

Oh, man, where to start from? Cause again I see that I'm the first to put a post about the new character of this week. Very Happy

to tell you the truth the first time I actually took notice of this character was spoiler[ when he confessed to Motoko that he really cared about her (well, he didn't exactly confessed to her but he clearly made her realize that) Wink Up to that point I have seen him as a stiff guy with nothing more than odd comments and a total hate to Yuki (though a respect for his seriousness) and at the same time a total disregard of Kakeru's stupid remarks. I thought that only at that point I have seen that Nao was actually quite different from what I have expected so I decided to take back a few pages of the manga and reread some of the scenes that involved him. ]

But still nothing really important to discover. spoiler[ He is one of the characters not well developed but about whom the readers would have liked to hear more. Other than the fact that he gave me the impression to be a really lonely character with few scenes where he could have developed (he constant disputes with Yuki or Kakeru are a laugh) he makes me thinks that I would have liked some more info about him before commenting about him.]

The inspiration has left me this week, so I'll come back tomorrow with renewed forces. Hopefully.... Rolling Eyes
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quote
OFten Nao spoiler[seems to be the butt of the jokes that are made within the student council. He mostly gets it when Kakeru and Kimi are fooling around, and there are some of his reactions that are just priceless. Like the time that they got the new whiteboard, and then everybody started writing on it.]
Quote:
spoiler[Our whiteboard is being made dirty with stupid comments!]

Only when spoiler[it started getting towards Motoko's time to graduate did we start to see a serious side in Nao. Though you could tell his jealousy towards Yuki was starting to get out of hand. Calling evreyone baka. Anyways, I like the way after he had confessed to Motoko and when she left, he went back looking as if nothing happened, but I feel that he matured.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Of course that spoiler[he reached a new level of maturity after he confessed to Motoko. I felt that he reached a new point in his development although he is one of the few characters which aren't well developed. We know so little about the Nao that has fallen in love with Motoko: I wanted to know what attracted him, how come that he noticed her, where everything started.... I felt the need to know more but unfortunately it was just one of those cases in which the manga just didn't go too far.]

The fact that he was in love with spoiler[Motoko makes me think that it might have been the reason for his seriousness that he always treated Yuki. Since every body knew that Motoko was the president of Yuki's fun club, Nao might have been aware of this fact. Also seeing Motoko constantly searching for Yuki was a big hint. I wonder what he might have felt when he observed all that. ]

But there is no mentioning about his family, are there?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
Nah, we don't high or low of his family, let alone Kimi's. I think that spoiler[he saw a lonely and lost girl in Motoko, that she was chasing after a dream that even she realized she could never grasp. Though some background to Nao I'm sure would have given us some more insight to what he saw in her. But the age discrepancy isn't anything new in the Fruits Basket world, and younger men and older women. Haru and Rin, Hiro and Kisa, and Nao and Motoko. I would have loved to see if they ever had something go from there, but their story wasn't essential to the story.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:35 am Reply with quote
You know, I thought you might say that... since I also remember that we didn't know anything about his family (just wanted to make sure Embarassed ). But is it my impression or there isn't much to discuss about dear Nao? I don't want to be mean or anything but I think that there were also characters in this manga who haven't any real development probably for the fact that unfortunately they weren't important to the story. spoiler[Nao's unquestionable moment of truth was the moment when he confessed his love to Motoko. As I was saying before, I haven't really observed him during the process of the story for the simple fact that he is there to make the story more interesting and not entirely concentrated on these main characters. I dare say that sometimes Takaya-san has been unfair with some of these characters. And one of them has been Nao.]

Nao is interesting from the perspective of the boy spoiler[who sees beyond another boy due to love. What I mean is the fact that Nao sees Motoko's loneliness and her impossible dream of wanting a false image about a guy whom she will probably never know very well for the simple fact that she is just to blind to see the real Yuki. And then we have Nao who falls in love with Motoko because he sees perhaps her sadness and her impossible dream. But aren't they alike in a way? They both want and dream about persons who don't share their way of seeing things and they don't ever get to know them for real. Perhaps this is why in some way Takaya-sensei has coupled these two persons who otherwise wouldn't have anything in common. ]

Did I make any sense or I rambled, like I sometimes do? Embarassed
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Meh, you're right in saying that there's not much to talk about Nao, save for spoiler[him falling for Motoko. I'd still say that he was good comic relief, and if I'm not mistaken we never saw him laugh. ALways on his job, making sure that things are running smoothly in school or school events (do they ever?). If it were me though, I'd say that he'd be the next candidate for student president] Laughing
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
spoiler[I'd still say that he was good comic relief, and if I'm not mistaken we never saw him laugh. ALways on his job, making sure that things are running smoothly in school or school events (do they ever?). If it were me though, I'd say that he'd be the next candidate for student president] Laughing

I wonder spoiler[if Nao helps or hinders the functions of student council? It seems like the more serious he gets, the more it pushes Kimi and Kakeru to act goofy. I agree he's good comic relief. Every time Kakeru unleashed that "chibi-suke" nickname, Nao's reaction is hilarious.] Very Happy

Do you think Nao spoiler[realizes that Yuki isn't interested in Motoko? To me, it seems that Nao's jealousy has more to do with Motoko's behavior toward Yuki than anything Yuki might have done. It Nao realized that Motoko isn't even on Yuki's radar, I wonder if that jealousy would lessen?]

I wish the U.S. version was further along. I feel as if I can't participate in the conversation very well because I don't have the material. Mad

BTW, just returned discs 2 and 3 of the anime to Netflix, so the final one should be on its way. So far, I'm enjoying it. I think the episode where the Yuki fans invited themselves over to Hana's house was the funniest thing I've seen in recent memory. I'm still trying to figure out what the deal was the the girl who was wearing the frog hat, but she made me laugh.

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:20 pm Reply with quote
If I recall correctly one of the girls who went to Hana-chan's house wasn't even in the manga, a filler character.
Yuki spoiler[at the time wasn't looking for anybody, but was trying to come out into the world more than he was when he was first in high school. Motoko just couldn't pull herself away from him, but was finally able to when she graduated. I bet if she found closure sooner, Nao might have made his mood. The entire thing behind him facing up to Yuki was because Yuki always had Motoko's heart (I think he only found this at the graduation).]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:04 am Reply with quote
Well, I spent the last couple of days re-reading my FB manga and I can't say much about Nao other than the boy seems more than a bit uptight and anal...

Please forgive me for going OT but I have to comment on some of the other Student Body members that the American vols. have introduced:

Kimi spoiler[Is a bit weird especially referring to herself in the 3rd person all of the time but I think that there may be more to her than meets the eye. I get the feeling that she knows she pisses off the other girls with the way she acts so she does it even more just to stick the knife in deeper. Twisted Evil ] I think I like that! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I'm liking Machi. In Chapter 89 spoiler[when she is cornered by the Prince Yuki Fangirls about Machi saying Yuki wasn't a prince, Machi says "He's always surrounded by people. And he's known as 'Prince Charming.' But he still seems lonely and sad to me." Boy, did she hit the nail square there. I guess a wounded soul recognizes another. While in most cases, two such wounded souls might not be good for each other, i think Yuki and Michi just may be good for each other. And that's not just from reading previous spoilers either!]

And while Kakeru spoiler[may remind Yuki of Ayame, I think that Kakeru is the better brother. At least he's quicker to realize and understand the pain that his sibling is going through and des his best to help. Which is, IMO, worlds better than Ayame's brand of "help." But don't get me wrong, I'm glad Ayame is at least trying!]

And at the end of Ch. 72, Yuki's Parent/Teacher conference and Ayame comes in spoiler[and does a smackdown on their mother...that was great! Twisted Evil But what was even better was Mayu getting on the cell phone to Hatori: "Hatori-kun, I finally understand what you must go through." Beautiful. I really do think that when she is finally with Hatori, Ayame will do whatever she tells him too because Ayame will consider them to be one.]

Question: Does Akito know what Shigure is up to? At least to the point of Vol. 15? I thought I read somewhere that Akito might but now I can't find it.

And one last thing! Our Rabbit is growing up! In the most recent American chapters, Momiji is now the same height as Tohru! **sniff** He's growing up!

Sorry, for such a long post but I thought that I'd get it out of my system before I forget what I wanted to say or ask!
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
It was interesting to see that actually the one who realized Nao's feelings for spoiler[ Motoko was Kimi and she reacted quite interesting. It was actually one of those moments when a heart recognizes what one tries to hide so hard. I think that it was one of the loveliest moments to see Nao embarrassed and wishing for Kimi not to say anything. It was really nice. I think that in a way Nao is jealous on Yuki for being more in the favourite position. I think that in a way Nao might perceive Yuki as the guy that can have as many girls as he want and especially his girl. I think that it's tormenting to see that the one girl that he loves to be so infatuated with the guy with whom Nao is supposed to work everyday. Therefore perhaps this is what happens with him: he turns into this stiffed little man who tries to prove himself and at the same time who tries to show that he can do better or even be better. ]

LydiaDianne, I think that actually spoiler[Akito doesn't know about Shigure's plan. The only person that actually knows the most (not that it actually could be possible, since the slug is one of the most complex and dark characters in the manga) is Hatori and besides if Akito might have had even a hunch about what was going on in Shigure's head she would do everything to stop him since she cares so much about the curse and every time a new member is freed she becomes hysterical. ] At least this is what I think....

murph, it means that you are on the last hundred of yards... I'm curious about what you'll think about the final episode. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 55 of 170