• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Aya Hirano Confirms She Stopped Performing Music for Lantis

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, I hope she feels better soon.
greensoulreaper

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Curious....who exactly is she taking "orders" from?
Yamaji

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I hope that she'll be able to do any future Haruhi or Konata voice work if there is any. She will always be those characters to me. Not to mention her singing in Haruhi.
tmsidr

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't know which place the album made in 2009, but her second album is called "Speed Star". "Super Driver" was a single (OP of Haruhi 2009 season) and is also available on "Speed Star".
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I blame those rude fans who keep harassing her on her private life on Twitter for this.
Kohii

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
I blame those rude fans who keep harassing her on her private life on Twitter for this.

Trolls gonna troll. Now if only she could just stop giving them troll bait...
TJR

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:08 am Reply with quote
greensoulreaper wrote:

Her management agency. Regarding anime activities, they probably want Hirano to keep a low profile until the controversy blows over.

That said, I suspect that the end result wouldn't have been too different (with Hirano gradually cutting back on anime activity as she made the transition to mainstream celebrity) had things gone according to plan.
scineram

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:41 am Reply with quote
She just did the ending narration in Nichijou 9. Does that count as new anime? Anime hyper
százlábú

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:41 am Reply with quote
scineram wrote:
She just did the ending narration in Nichijou 9. Does that count as new anime? Anime hyper

Riot Girl Twisted Evil
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
TJR wrote:
greensoulreaper wrote:

Her management agency. Regarding anime activities, they probably want Hirano to keep a low profile until the controversy blows over.

That said, I suspect that the end result wouldn't have been too different (with Hirano gradually cutting back on anime activity as she made the transition to mainstream celebrity) had things gone according to plan.

Different or not, she wasn't that good of a seiyuu. She was overhyped because she took on the roles of Haruhi (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya), Misa (Death Note), and Konata (Lucky Star), which basically skyrocketed her fan base. While she does a fairly decent job as Haruhi, all of her other roles are usually "meh" in my opinion. The real question now is how long has this occurred (or is this simply another troll) and whether or not this means no more Haruhi in the (near) future.
Akukame

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote
TJR wrote:
greensoulreaper wrote:

From the sounds of it when it happened, it sounded like she was blacklisted from the industry. This could be due to a couple reasons, but would have to do with her contract. Theres basically 3 things I can see:

1. There was a termination / breach of contract had some stipulation where she is unable to obtain new jobs within a certain amount of time afterwards.
2. Due to the termination / breach, no other companies will touch her due to negative publicity and backlash from her agency and companies that supported her agency.
3. she's still under contract with her agency, and is unable to break her contract or do freelance work.

Number 2 is actually what happened to another jpop singer back in 2000. The president of Suzuki Ami's management company was brought to court for tax evasion, so to further herself from the situation, Suzuki Ami brought her management company to court to break the contract so she can work with a different company. She was successfully able to break her contract, but due to negative publicity and her management company basically saying "we won't work with anyone who gives her work" kind of things, she was unable to re-enter the music industry for 4 years.

If Aya Hirano is finding herself in a similar situation due to her trying to distance herself from her anime career and her agency not liking it, then she better have a back up plan, because it might be a long time before we see her back in anime.
aereus

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:11 am Reply with quote
The problem is that she went about it in entirely the wrong way. She was unprofessional and immature about it, and burned most of her bridges. She committed 2 cardinal sins in Japanese entertainment: causing trouble for her agency and talking in public about stuff she shouldn't have, and insulting her fanbase from anime. No mainstream agency is going to touch you when you try to leave that way.

Last but not least, she admitted to being in a relationship and having sex with multiple people in the past. Which is basically a big no-no and taboo if you want to make it as a mainstream idol in Japan.
sunflowerseed

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:42 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed her RiotGirl CD, have it right here. Since she got Twitter she went down hill like a 16 pound bowling ball in an ocean of hot water. The biggest 2 things she did wrong on Twitter was spill the beans on a not seen yet anime show Kimi ni Todoke 2nd Season and talking about she had been dating much older men since she was little. Those companies can put up with a lot of nonsense but those mess every thing up as in they have a headcase to deal with. I saw where one album cover was being called for as being a copy of another J-pop music artist but don't really thing much of it because girls do look great dressed in red dresses so they all might want a simular dress.

Kiddy grade as Lumiere, one of her first good voice acting jobs was one of the best.

Its just a shame those old guys 'craddle robbed' her and now she realizes she didn't have a child hood after all so the break down already happen it seems to me to be. I would like to hear her on the English NHK translation news page, there is still so much she can do to bring smiles to the listeners of her speaking.
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:46 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
The problem is that she went about it in entirely the wrong way. She was unprofessional and immature about it, and burned most of her bridges. She committed 2 cardinal sins in Japanese entertainment: causing trouble for her agency and talking in public about stuff she shouldn't have, and insulting her fanbase from anime. No mainstream agency is going to touch you when you try to leave that way.

Last but not least, she admitted to being in a relationship and having sex with multiple people in the past. Which is basically a big no-no and taboo if you want to make it as a mainstream idol in Japan.

Being an idol in Japan is almost like being in a chain-gang like a 150-years ago in Mississippi. Japan's extraordinarily closed mindset of the populace puts absurd amounts of stress on anyone who pops up on a television set, and tends to want complete control of their lives with a chainmail glove. Celebrities like Aya Hirano and Gackt are appreciated for their contributions and talents, but also shunned upon because of their quirks.

Hirano's quirk is just generally not giving a shit about anything anymore - wanting to be herself, in short. Yep, being yourself is equivalent to committing suicide in the Japanese entertainment industry. And then there's of course Gackt, who always pisses off an elite group or two whenever he opens his mouth. The deal with him, though, is that he's generally just a troll in this sense and does it on purpose.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Different or not, she wasn't that good of a seiyuu. She was overhyped because she took on the roles of Haruhi (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya), Misa (Death Note), and Konata (Lucky Star), which basically skyrocketed her fan base. While she does a fairly decent job as Haruhi, all of her other roles are usually "meh" in my opinion. The real question now is how long has this occurred (or is this simply another troll) and whether or not this means no more Haruhi in the (near) future.

You should watch Seikon no Qwaser. Her role at Katja is superb; she can go from the most adorable, sweetist, and innocent little girl voice for Katja's 'facade' to the S&M dominatrix lesbian 'butch' voice of Katja's true self at the drop of a hat... it's amazing Cool Always a treat seeing her on screen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1