• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Unhappy Families

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Since only two of my simulcast shows have ended, I will only talk about those and wait for the next column to discuss the rest and give my final thoughts and ratings.

I was a bit sad to see the first season of Silver Spoon end, but the second season is coming in a few months. I enjoyed these first 11 episodes a lot. The stuff about cattle raising and eating meat can be interesting, but I am more interested in Hachiken's back story.

KINMOZA! was a fun and entertaining experience. I enjoyed the cute and embarrassing things the girls did. That being said, it a series with little story and does not really develop the characters.
stardf29

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Seventeen shows still standing at the near-season-end Stream, and of them, sixteen of them have overall positive reviews.

On my end, I have 19 shows that I am either following or was following and has now finished. Of them, 17 are currently rating at least a Good according to ANN rankings, with 11 scoring at least a Very Good.

This has just been a fantastic season of anime.
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
No other anime episode in my recent memory has got such an emotional reaction out of me as Genshiken Nidaime episode 11 and I even had read the manga chapter of it beforehand. Of course, most anime episodes don't have have the advantage of resolving a decade old subplot (the manga started in 2002).

Looking at the DVD/BD sales, I speculate this season of Genshiken was made just because somebody wanted to animate episode 11.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to seeing how they wrap up Daybreak Illusion. I've been keenly hooked since the first episode.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching Free!, Day Break Illusion and Watamote since the beginning of the season and I added the delight of The Eccentric Family a few weeks ago.

Day Break Illusion has disappointed me. I found its emotional plays inane and childishly simplistic from the first, which seems to have put me off for good.

I had fun with Free! at first, but the story that it's trying to tell about Rin and the boy's past seems to annoy me, although I have found something to hold on to in Rei's reaction to it all. I think it's a competent show, it just isn't suitable for me.

I've found Watamote a delight. I feel a great deal of very personal sympathy for Tomoko, which makes me cringe very knowingly at some of her most frustrating and disappointing moments. The humor is often sort of cathartic. Contrary to Bamboo, I think that Tomoko has changed, but not too overtly and not in a way that really impels her forward. I feel that she's slowly shown more introspection and begun to gain little slivers of perspective on herself. She's still in her hazy glass box, locked up and afraid, but has begun to realize what it might look like from the outside and gain a sense of what she's been deprived of by not being out there. These revelations are appropriately depressing.

The Eccentric Family has been a delight. I love its idiosyncratic characters, literary feel, clever mythos, fittingly unusual familiar dynamic and understated way of being intriguing. Yajiro's triumphant return in the penultimate episode induced me to cheer. Benten is one of the most unnervingly alluring and fascinating characters whom I've ever encountered. This one has its hooks in me and I very much want to know how the story will end and maybe just what certain characters really want.

I had disregarded Gatchaman Crowds, but I've seen enough good endorsements of it now that I believe that I will watch it. It sounds like weird fun that isn't as stupid as it looks.

Fall looks like it could be one Hell of a season. I'm particularly enthused about Kill La Kill, which looks balls-out rad, Coppellion which looks cooler than it should and has me extra-curious because of its troubled genesis and Kyousogiga, which looks like a lot of cool, weird fun. Pupa could be wonderfully dark, gruesome stuff, Yozakura Quartet never had my attention, but looked really cool in the promotional videos and Galilei Donna could be Yasuomi Umetsu doing what he does best. Samurai Flamenco didn't have my attention at first, but it looks like it could be wild stuff, so I feel like giving it a try. Some might never get out of the gate if early reaction is weak, others might disappoint and something is bound to surprise me, but I think that I'll have plenty to enjoy one way or another.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Hi Bamboo! Two things-
A) Uchoten Kazoku does not end at 12- there's one more episode
B) Silver Spoon IS getting a second season- it was decided that it would be split into two separated cours when the series began.

Other than that, great reviews! I do love Uchoten, and I'm tempted to spend a little extra this month and buy the Blu-rays.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Benten is one of the most unnervingly alluring and fascinating characters whom I've ever encountered.

Yes. This is also how I feel about Benten. Your take of her is perfect. I have liked, and at times enjoyed, The Eccentric Family, but I am not in love with it. But Benten is one of the biggest reasons why I have kept following this show.
angieness

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:40 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
You know, watching episode 23 of Shingeki made go back to the first episodes and check if they hinted it. Not only they hinted it but I realized something that we might not see until next season.

Episode 10 of Silver Spoon was painful. Not that it was bad but Hachiken's hardships were really sad. He gets better but what he does could traumatize anybody.

Oh there's loads and loads of hints! After getting up to date on the manga right after the first episode aired, I caught all the really obvious hints. You'll start to notice things in how the author laid out panels and shots that heavily hint who is who, etc. I somehow realized who the female titan was on my own and I don't remember catching the hints on the first read through, but I must have subconsciously because I wasn't surprised. The second opening also hinted it for the anime only people.
Nagatoka_Morito

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Even in the last episode, there are still gag elements (one of the characters wears an "I <3 Meyn" shirt in reference to the opening theme, which is sung by May'n) and touches of romance that made me chuckle.

It's nothing so clever as that. "Meyn" is his wife's name, and that May'n did the opening theme was just a bit of coincidence.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:06 am Reply with quote
I've been going back and fourth on Makai Ouji as well. On the one hand I enjoyed the BL subtext on the other the animation was nothing special (actually I think that can be said about the series as a whole... decent but nothing to write home about) and the novelty started to wear off after a while and I grew bored with the series. I thinks that's one of the problems with following simulcasts... while it's nice to see the show as it's coming out after a couple of months I just start to lose interest in things. Silver Spoon was a much more satisfying experience. Hiromu Arakawa has proven that she's not just a one hit wonder. i can't wait until season 2 comes out in January.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
This season has been kind of fun. I've got quite a few of shows I plan to marathon once they've ended since honestly that's my preferred method of watching anime (Eccentric Family, Gatchaman Crowds, Blood Lad, Silver Spoon, Gifu, and maybe finish Watamote in one go). Otherwise I've only kept up with five shows: Free!, Senyu, Hakkenden, Makai Ouji, and Daybreak Illusion not including Hunter x Hunter and Toriko.
Free! is still my favorite this season. A delightful sports anime with gorgeous guys and gorgeous animation that I was just honestly expecting to just fill the void until the new season of Kuroko. Now I'm sad that there is only one episode left.
Senyu continues to be a nice short diversion that is always mean-spirited in a hilarious way.
Honestly I really want to shake my fist at Makai Ouji, so many, many things left infuriatingly unanswered. Still I actually really enjoyed this show. I mean I know it's not a necessarily great show with it's rushed ending and shoestring budget (that last fight reminded me of Yu Yu Hakusho in the Dark Tournament when the same demons got blown up again and again in different fights), but like with Karneval it managed to hit points that I liked consistently so I'm more forgiving. Episode 10 though felt really out of place like maybe it should have aired after episode six instead. I'm happy that Seven Seas licensed the manga so maybe I can actually find out spoiler[what the hell happened with Solomon and Dantalion in the past].
Hakkenden is still pretty good and looks like it might actually be able to wrap up in the next episode.
As for Daybreak Illusion, this is the show where it's like I only have a couple of episodes left I might as well finish it. It's not bad but it's not great either. The show's going through the motions of a good show but it never put any effort to make you give a damn about what's going on.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:05 am Reply with quote
Mr. Nescio wrote:
No other anime episode in my recent memory has got such an emotional reaction out of me as Genshiken Nidaime episode 11 and I even had read the manga chapter of it beforehand. Of course, most anime episodes don't have have the advantage of resolving a decade old subplot (the manga started in 2002).

Looking at the DVD/BD sales, I speculate this season of Genshiken was made just because somebody wanted to animate episode 11.

It couldn't have been for the new characters because outside of Hato {and he's only interesting because how he relates himself to Madarame}, they are Pointless and Nameless or at least that's what I think. "Who are you, Nameless, and why are you in this club rather than the manga one, Pointless?"

"New face of fujoshi." And it's still the same as the old one only without the name Ogiue. And we know why she's not in the manga club...

Wait, there was never fully animated, resolved or explained. The manga itself has been chucking Sue back every chapter so her storyline which also stems from the original series won't be finished.

I'd watch the Saki episode but since they didn't anime "The Confession" and "Forever in my dreams", I see no point.

Quote:
In hindsight, it feels like this season has largely been building up to something much larger that will never be scratched unless there's a second season I'm not aware of.

For me, it was foresight so I don't know what version of Blood Lad {I'll say it now; It's Blood Lad because calling a vampire Bat Man would invite a lawsuit} you were watching. Must have been better than the one I saw.

Anyways, my favorite of the season has been Servant x Service, judged by the fact it's the only one I look forward to watching. There may be others as I haven't started Sunday Without God or gotten that far into Dog and Scissors.
dizzon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:28 am Reply with quote
The female titan's identity never seemed in doubt to me, at least in retrospect. I would've been more surprised if it wasn't you-know-who. AoT still remains a slow burn for me, I look forward to new episodes but not in an obsessive way.

The only other show I'm watching is Watamote and at this point if feels like self-torture, I keep watching this show expecting a breakthrough that never happens. You just keep rooting for her to no avail.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:33 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
And what I found shocking is that nearly everybody has agreed in unison that the show improved after the guys were added. That takes a ton of effort to switch around otaku opinion like that.
I'm not so sure opinions really switched so much as the people who weren't interested in the dudes showing up already knew it was coming, never watched it to begin with and moved on with their lives, given that most of the ire came from the brazenly misleading plot summery.

Moving on, Dog & Scissors was an alright watch, though I felt the ending was extremely weak - I never realized how much the series needed Natsuno's sadism to work since it always managed to busy itself with some plot-like affair before, but without either it just falls flat and boring. Yes, spoiler[Natsuno being a lovey-dovey drunk] is funny, but the joke ran way too long for its own good.

On the other end, Kinmoza had just about the best end that didn't spoiler[involve Aya confessing to Yoko] it could. I thought it was odd they set the final bit during their time as first-years, but thinking about it now, it really feels like they only had enough material for half an episode of finale and gave us what's essentially an OVA rather than messing up the pacing(though the way that bit ends wasn't a bad way to finish the season, either). I really hope this one gets another season and the manga printed in English.

Splitting the difference, Teekyu! just kind of ended, as was expected. Looking forward to the next season, even if less eagerly so than Attack on Titan or Kinmoza.

Haven't finished anything else, so I'll hold off saying anything on them until I have. I also haven't paid too much attention to what's coming on next season, so all I can really say is that Kill la Kill looks like it'll be fun; I plan on checking out Wanna Be The Strongest In The World and Pupa, but I don't expect too much from them.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:44 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
And what I found shocking is that nearly everybody has agreed in unison that the show improved after the guys were added. That takes a ton of effort to switch around otaku opinion like that.
I'm not so sure opinions really switched so much as the people who weren't interested in the dudes showing up already knew it was coming, never watched it to begin with and moved on with their lives, given that most of the ire came from the brazenly misleading plot summery.

Fair enough. But at least on /a/ there have been countless cases where someone says that they were planning to drop it once the guys showed up but that then the show got a lot better. The girls are all adorably eccentric but only with the guys in the picture could we have seen a reaction like this
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4