• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga omnibuses

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you buy your manga in omnibuses edition?
First option
13%
 13%  [ 8 ]
Yes, I like to buy all my manga in omnibuses if possible
22%
 22%  [ 13 ]
Yes, when the single volumes are out of print
63%
 63%  [ 37 ]
Total Votes : 58

DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I thought of this topic, when I was reading another thread that I made in the manga section about manga you want reprinted. Most people wanted mostly titles from Viz, and I was thinking that it would be great if they or other publishers do more omnibuses (even though I don’t really like them) for series that are going out of print.

For me, I only buy omnibuses edition, when I can’t buy the single volumes of a series, or if the series is released in omnibuses form only (Cross Game). The reason being I like to own all the volumes cover, and some of the omnibuses are kind of big enough that I can’t fit in my bookshelf. Also for series I want to own, I want it right away and can’t wait for the omnibuses. The cost of a single volume manga for me is still fair enough to keep on buying them, unlike dvd singles for anime.

Edit: Embarassed I forgot to add the no or other option.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Single volume releases would be my first choice, but I do have several omnibus editions in my library. Most of them are going out of print, or are license rescues that will only be released in omnibus form, and some of them are just too hard to find, or too expensive, as single releases. I have noticed, too, that sometimes the omnibus editions seem to have higher production values, with better quality paper, more art, and sometimes more color pages. They are more cost effective to produce for the publishers, I suspect, so it is likely that we will be seeing more of them in the future.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I prefer single volumes, just because the omnibuses tend to be heavy and awkward to carry. I usually will bring a volume to work to read on my lunch break, and those suckers are big. I'm also afraid that the spines will break easier.

I do like getting a clump to read though. I think this works nicely with Cross Game. Now that One Piece and Naruto are back to coming out one volume at a time, it's soooooo slow and I forget what happened in the last volume. I've started to save them up and not read them immediately so that I can read them in chunks.
archaron

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind buying omnibuses when the production value is high. With omnibuses too I don't like missing out on the covers of the single volumes. So for me, it is a double edged sword. Omnibuses are a nice way to get introduced to a longer series to find out whether I want to follow it or not.
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
archaron wrote:
With omnibuses too I don't like missing out on the covers of the single volumes.

The only time that I didn't mind that is with Strawberry Panic, since the omnibuse edtion cover with the whole cast is really nice, and even nicer then the two single volume covers.
archaron

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
DarkRoseFairy wrote:
The only time that I didn't mind that is with Strawberry Panic, since the omnibuse edtion cover with the whole cast is really nice, and even nicer then the two single volume covers.

Did the Strawberry Panic omnibuse have any extra content that the singles did not have? I only picked up the singles a couple of years back and did not bother with the omnibuse.
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
@archaron- They have two new chapters added in.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
That's one thing I really don't like about omnibuses: when they add new material that's not included in the singles. I recently just bought the Rurouni Kenshin vol. 9 omnibus because it had 2 short stories. I was extremely irritated about this, but love RK too much to miss them. So now I have a dumb mismatched volume with duplicate material just so I can have the original stuff.
archaron

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I know what you mean it does getting annoying that way with stuff like that. I don't mind omnibuses, but when the come in the middle of a series that has traditionally been released with singles I just don't like it very much. Either way, I think omnibuses will become the new standard soon enough.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I prefer the single volume format. But it is not a make or break issue. If I like a series, I'll buy it in what ever format its issued.

I suspect that the publishers will use what ever format that they think will work best for them. Fan preference is considered only when it won't cost them money.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I usually get singles because they come out first. But as long as the paper is nice, I see nothing wrong with getting omnibuses, they're usually cheap and make a one stop read. But then you get less lovely color covers is my only complaint. But I rather dislike the paper on the One Piece omnibuses, and I could probably get them dirt cheap at used stores if I wanted. Actually, lots of singles go to the used bookstores, hooray!

I actually liked the Seven Seas omnibuses for Venus Verses Virus and Blood Alone (though I disliked the series Blood Alone but that's another problem), the paper isn't see through garbage, though I am a bit concerned about the spine, it's not super bend resistant it looks so all I have to do it be careful I guess.

I also don't mind a horribly mismatched set within my collection, I have two actually, Land of the Blindfolded (the early and late CMX covers and spine styles are totally different) and Battle Royale where I have omnibus 4 in the singles cus I got them for dirt cheap. And in my DVDs, Avatar: TLA, the first two are the boxes and the last season is in the singles, but like other omnibuses, that extra disc makes me wanna get the season set to replace it.
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Singles are great, but often the omnibuses offer a lot more at a cheaper price. And when your collect is as large as mine a discount here and there is awesome. After all, $14.99 to 17.99 USD for three volumes is better than $9.99 to 11.99 USD a book.

Also, in the case of Cardcaptor Sakura, the new omnibus is better than the original single bound volumes. So I suppose quality is a larger factor as well.

The only other thought I have is if this was the standard all along would it help curb the incomplete series by publisher? I was thinking of The Secret Notes of Kanoko. Only 3 volumes in length and only two will even be seen thanks to TP's death. Coulda been one pretty omnibus.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote
So, our poll options are: Yes, Yes, or I'm a spambot?
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:37 pm Reply with quote
@Dorcas_Aurelia, yeah I wanted to fix that(the fourth choice should have been No), but once you post the poll you can't edit it. Next time I will be more careful. Anime smile
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind omnibuses - mind you, the only ones I've been exposed to are Dark Horse's, so I don't know how they compare to the quality of those of other companies. If it's the cheapest and/or most convienent way to get my hands on a manga, I'll go for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2