• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Actor Takeru Satoh Pictured Reading Rurouni Kenshin Manga on Film Set

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raikuro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote
At this rate there will be a live action Jinchu arc before a proper animated one.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Nothing wrong with getting one's head round one's character as he should be. Besides I'd wager Satoh never heard of Rurouni Kenshin before he played the character.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Kenshin reading Kenshin?!
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Nothing wrong with getting one's head round one's character as he should be. Besides I'd wager Satoh never heard of Rurouni Kenshin before he played the character.

Actually, he's a huge fan of Rurouni Kenshin. He was a big reader of the manga back when he was in school, and was excited to get the chance to play Kenshin himself in the live-action films.

It's been a long time since he's read the original manga, methinks, so he's refreshing himself so that he doesn't act out-of-character.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:06 pm Reply with quote
CCharmanderK wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Actually, he's a huge fan of Rurouni Kenshin. He was a big reader of the manga back when he was in school, and was excited to get the chance to play Kenshin himself in the live-action films.

It's been a long time since he's read the original manga, methinks, so he's refreshing himself so that he doesn't act out-of-character.
And I lose again. Laughing It can't that long by the look of him. Laughing
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Not to be overly-cynical, but this reminds me of how Shonen Jump magazine announced that Roshi's actor (or was it Piccolo) was spotted walking around with an issue of Jump during the filming of Dragon Ball Evolution.

Provided, the Kenshin movies bring the gravy to begin with, so take that as you will.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
At this rate there will be a live action Jinchu arc before a proper animated one.

I think these movies are being made in place of the anime. Why would a studio animate a brand new Kenshin series when there's a live-action version in the works? It makes the recent Kyoto Arc OVAs even more irrelevant.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
But they changed so much!
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
It's not unusual.

I think in every musical / stageplay based on manga, there are always some copies for the casts to read during practice.

It's probably the same with movies based on manga.
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quote
It's not unusual.

I think in every musical / stageplay based on manga, there are always some copies for the casts to read during practice.

It's probably the same with movies based on manga.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:38 am Reply with quote
brucepuppy wrote:
It's not unusual.

Except if you're an American director who hasn't read a single manga in his life in charge of a manga-adapted project.

But yes. Satoh's mentioned being a fan twice. Once being when he was asked to comment on Rurouni Kenshin's author's wife saying he'd be the perfect Kenshin and twice being when he was actually chosen for the role many years later.
partially

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:42 am Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
Raikuro wrote:

I think these movies are being made in place of the anime. Why would a studio animate a brand new Kenshin series when there's a live-action version in the works? It makes the recent Kyoto Arc OVAs even more irrelevant.

That is like saying the majority of anime is irrelevant because there is already a manga. That makes this film version doubly irrelevant because there is already a manga and an anime. Just because there are different versions of something, doesn't stop them being made. There are a ton of TV series that are live-action versions of anime and vice versa. They have different audiences, hence they are made for different reasons. Hardly makes either one irrelevant.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1