Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, September 16-22


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
rinkwolf10



Joined: 05 Apr 2009
Posts: 750
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:06 am Reply with quote
Sorry, but Attack on Titan is plainly raping the charts. Those are some crazy numbers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ingraman



Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 1063
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:42 am Reply with quote
The only titles on the list for me are Chihayafuru BD Box 2 and Free! BD 1. Amazon hasn't shipped them to me yet (they expect to send 'em out on Friday), so my purchases aren't factored into this list...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 9321
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:31 am Reply with quote
Shingeki's doing about Girls und Panzer numbers now on BD. That series didn't really have any presence on DVD, only selling like 1/30th the number. Sad to see Layzner only sold that amount after all they've been pushing it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dan9999



Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Posts: 648
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Shingeki's doing about Girls und Panzer numbers now on BD. That series didn't really have any presence on DVD, only selling like 1/30th the number.


And this is how it should have always been, studios need to get out more jojos, more shingekis, more kurokos, more yamatos(remakes), to hit it high!

Love labs aint cutting it anymore Very Happy for BIG sales, still should be relatively easy to make compared to other more ambitious anime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 8160
Location: IL
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Considering that Love Lab is serialized in a completely obscure Houbunsha magazine, had practically zero pre-established audience before the anime aired, and that it didn't follow the CGDCT formula (like Kiniro this season) it did quite well. If all you want is 1 or 2 of the biggest shounen manga adaptations made every season then that's your choice. I'm thankful that even the obscure stuff can get adapted, as I typically get so much more entertainment value out of them than I do with the standard shounen fare.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 9321
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
And this is how it should have always been, studios need to get out more jojos, more shingekis, more kurokos, more yamatos(remakes), to hit it high!

Love labs aint cutting it anymore Very Happy for BIG sales, still should be relatively easy to make compared to other more ambitious anime.


But Girls und Panzers are cutting it, I suppose the answer is to put cute girls into war machines. I haven't watched Love Lab so I can't speak for its good or bad qualities, but I'm sure shows like it do well quite well. It's not like there's an easy divide on what type of show will sell and which won't, Majestic Prince hasn't done too great and it's your typical space mecha along the lines of Vandread or Nadesico (less the satire). For how excellent of show it usually is and how much praise it consistently and constantly receives, even a cheap box set of Chihayafuru doesn't sell wonderfully either.

Yeah, Love Lab didn't do too great, but even if it had only sold double that amount, that tends to be enough to allow for a second season, or at least keep it in the minds to find more similar properties to adapt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 8160
Location: IL
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
With Love Lab having 7 volumes, if it can sell 2.5-3k average then it will easily generate more money than GJ-bu which sold about 4k average in 4 (relatively cheap) volumes, which did get a continuation/spinoff green-lit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dan9999



Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Posts: 648
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Considering that Love Lab is serialized in a completely obscure Houbunsha magazine, had practically zero pre-established audience before the anime aired, and that it didn't follow the CGDCT formula (like Kiniro this season) it did quite well. If all you want is 1 or 2 of the biggest shounen manga adaptations made every season then that's your choice. I'm thankful that even the obscure stuff can get adapted, as I typically get so much more entertainment value out of them than I do with the standard shounen fare.


More shounen? Not necessarily but better choice than kiniro or love lab or more of those. More obscure? Then lets get something really worthwhile, Akagi season 2 when?

I am having pycho-pass s2 coming, so considering nothing is more obscure(totally unknown when it was created) and riskier I am good atm, this is what I mean by more ambitious anime, which suits me better, GITS doing great, Inital D did, while not as great, still very good.

Kill la kill also seems quite ambitious.


walw6pK4Alo wrote:


But Girls und Panzers are cutting it,


I DID, yes, but less of its kind(in the general sense, we know what kind of series it is, independently of its cute girls in tanks "novelty") are cutting it to get HUGE sales, and instead totally different kind of series are now the HUGE sellers, which translate into a more even ground instead of total domination.

Chihaya is NOT aiming at hardcore otaku to begin and was never going to be a potential huge seller, still, the excellent boost to the manga is all it needed to succeed as an anime.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:


Yeah, Love Lab didn't do too great, but even if it had only sold double that amount, that tends to be enough to allow for a second season, or at least keep it in the minds to find more similar properties to adapt.


Is what I implied, while this kind of anime is slowly falling on its place (more or less, sales wise) it is still relatively easy to make and more certain that more ambitious and riskier anime.

Yet, love lab still sold kinda low considering it sold at a discount and with a CD (OP).

Megiddo wrote:
With Love Lab having 7 volumes, if it can sell 2.5-3k average then it will easily generate more money than GJ-bu which sold about 4k average in 4 (relatively cheap) volumes, which did get a continuation/spinoff green-lit.


Fine, this is what this kind of series deserves at much in disc sales, and if studios want to get higher sales =hopefully= it appears this kind is not cutting it anymore, for 2.5-4k they are fine, but not even "god" =kyoani= has managed to go past 20k with Hyouka or chuu2byou, with both probably aiming at K-ON sales levels, specially chuu2byou, and better not mention Tamako, yes with sequel and all coming.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HitokiriShadow



Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 6251
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:02 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

Fine, this is what this kind of series deserves at much in disc sales, and if studios want to get higher sales =hopefully= it appears this kind is not cutting it anymore, for 2.5-4k they are fine, but not even "god" =kyoani= has managed to go past 20k with Hyouka or chuu2byou, with both probably aiming at K-ON sales levels, specially chuu2byou, and better not mention Tamako, yes with sequel and all coming.


Basically no other similar such show has been able to hit K-On's sales. And yet, for some reason the fact that another show sold similarly massive numbers suddenly means that studios just need to switch to making that kind of show instead and the money would roll in?

make it sense not does
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fencedude5609



Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 5088
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
No company "aims" for K-On/Madoka/Bake level sales.

If they get them, great! But by no means are they ever /expecting/ them.

Thats why so often good selling shows have major stock shortages!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dan9999



Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Posts: 648
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
No company "aims" for K-On/Madoka/Bake level sales.

If they get them, great! But by no means are they ever /expecting/ them.

Thats why so often good selling shows have major stock shortages!


Common, no one said they are expecting them but are aiming for huge sellers, we know quite well there are certain series that have the highest probability to get them, if studios do get them or not is a different story.

expecting =/= aiming, but yes, since noone wants to take the full risk shortages happen until they see how they actually perform, probably.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
dan9999 wrote:

Fine, this is what this kind of series deserves at much in disc sales, and if studios want to get higher sales =hopefully= it appears this kind is not cutting it anymore, for 2.5-4k they are fine, but not even "god" =kyoani= has managed to go past 20k with Hyouka or chuu2byou, with both probably aiming at K-ON sales levels, specially chuu2byou, and better not mention Tamako, yes with sequel and all coming.


Basically no other similar such show has been able to hit K-On's sales. And yet, for some reason the fact that another show sold similarly massive numbers suddenly means that studios just need to switch to making that kind of show instead and the money would roll in?

make it sense not does


Is that not what brought us to this current era? There were some huge seller with certain elements that everyone got infatuated with, next thing we knew countless series in the same style one after the other, today they still dominate the market but are not selling like the used to thou and other kind if series are now taking the spotlight.


Last edited by dan9999 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HitokiriShadow



Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 6251
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

Common, no one said they are expecting them but are aiming for huge sellers, we know quite well there are certain series that have the highest probability to get them, if studios do get them or not is a different story.


And what kinds of series are those, exactly? No one was expecting Madoka, Bakemonogatari or Shingeki to do those numbers until they started seeing stalker estimates.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dan9999



Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Posts: 648
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
dan9999 wrote:

Common, no one said they are expecting them but are aiming for huge sellers, we know quite well there are certain series that have the highest probability to get them, if studios do get them or not is a different story.


And what kinds of series are those, exactly? No one was expecting Madoka, Bakemonogatari or Shingeki to do those numbers until they started seeing stalker estimates.


You know quite well what series have dominated and what elements they have. Don't pretend you dont.

Shingeki yes, jojo yes, pycho-pass was an unknown risk, but dont pretend Girls and Panzer did not aim and succeeded, Dont pretend that K-ON did not, dont pretend all the moe and pandering dont pretend to get sales.

So shingeki, yes, I truly believe it was not expecting any huge sucess, same as jojo, the likes of what Kyonai does, sure do, the likes of anime with only pandering sure do. Of course some only aim for an easy win, as it would not too risky to achieve 3-6k, no certain but quite possible, but some do aim for huge sellers and try harder.

I never said ALL series aim for 25-35k+, i said that for =those= HUGE sales, it seems if studios want to hit them, it wont take only moe and cute girls, at least exclusively, anymore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HitokiriShadow



Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 6251
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

You know quite well what series have dominated and what elements they have. Don't pretend you don't.

Shingeki not expetd because its not the kinf anime that would sell what its doing. Noone expected either.,

But don't pretend Girls and Panzer did not aim and succeded, don't pretend that K-ON did not, don't pretend all the moe and pandering don't pretend to get huge sales.


Don't pretend that a bunch of similar types of shows get mediocre sales or completely flop.

Quote:
So shingeki, yes, I truly believe it was not expecting any huge sucess, same as jojo, the likes of what Kyonai does, sure do, the likes of anime with only pandering sure do. Of course some only aim for an easy win, as it would not too risky to achieve 3-6k, no certain but quite possible, but some do aim for huge sellers and try harder.


What did these moe pandering shows do that all of the mediocre to crappy selling ones did not? Why isn't Kinmosa also selling 20k+? How on earth does on determine which ones have that capability and which ones do not? Furthemore, how do you know what the companies were aiming for?

Also, GuP was series that had stock shortages in the first week, so clearly they weren't expecting that kind of success. And there's a stark difference between 10-20k sellers and 40k+ sellers. We get the former somewhat regularly, while the latter makes something one of the best selling anime of all time.

Not that I would mind more series like Shingeki, but this is not in any way indicative of what kind of success similar shows should expect, or that they should stop making other kinds of shows. Also, keep in mind that promoting manga (along with other merchandise) is a major reason for shows like this to exist. Disc sales aren't everything.


Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 8160
Location: IL
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Girls und Panzer was never expected to do all that well.

It wasn't the moe that sold it to the otaku. It was the insanely well-executed battles, most significantly the first match against St. Gloriana in either episode 4 or 5 that sent it spiking up in preorders.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group