• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Judge Orders Hold on U.S. Yu-Gi-Oh! Anime License

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Wait, so the legal copyright owners (in Japan) are now legally not allowed to do anything with their product in the US for an unspecified amount of time now? I'm not familiar with copyright law but is this sort of decision normal?
The legal issue isn't a matter of copyright law but of contract law. silentjay has it right:

silentjay wrote:
While people automatically want to come down on 4Kids, it's not cut & dried, and they might not actually be in violation of the contract. The unspecified time is however long it takes for the court to decide whether or not there was a contract violation.
Exactly. If the court finds that 4kids did not violate their contract, then they still have legal right to the license, the Japanese being the actual owners doesn't matter if they made a contract with 4kids to give them rights to their series and then breached the contract themselves.

It's like leasing a house to someone. The lease agreement states rights and responsibilities for both parties and who violates first is the one who is in breach and the one who has to pay. It is entirely possible that 4kids didn't actually breach anything in the contract with their little backroom shenanigans. (You would be STUNNED by what isn't in contracts. Terms are left out all the time and dealt with by common law and statutory gap fillers.)

jmaeshawn wrote:
Why do they need to hold two trials for this?
Two different legal issues. The first is the alleged contract breach by 4kids and the counter-claim that the Japanese are the breaching party. That issue is actually separate from whether or not 4kids owes the Japanese money. (It seems odd but it's not.)

Also there is one very good reason why there should be two trials and the Japanese should be happy about it. Contract law isn't exactly known for awarding lots of punitive damages. Rather the Japanese would most likely be limited to the benefits of their contractual bargain which might not include the money they could stand to sue for that 4kids allegedly got in backroom dealings.

If 4kids didn't breach their contract, they might still owe that money but under some other theory of law rather than the contract breach. This bit from the prior article on this topic might be very important to the suit.

Quote:
The agreement also allowed 4Kids to enter into licensing agreements for the home video rights for the franchise, provided that they use "customary forms of license agreements."
If the court decides based on the evidence that 4kids' deal with Funimation was within the "customary forms of license agreements" (I'm assuming that quote, given the context, is meant to be an accurate summary of a clause in the contract) then 4kids isn't in breach. Rather, the Japanese would be in breach! Ergo 4kids would still have the right to the license.

However, the Japanese could sue under a different legal theory rather than breach of contract. (Probably something in Tort, that's always a good place to start looking for angle to file a lawsuit.) Hence then the second trial, which might cover completely different legal areas.

I wish ANN could get ahold of the complaint or copies of the contract's important terms and clauses. I would kill to know what the standard boilerplate is for licensing contracts for anime. I hope the case opinion gets published later, it'll make for fun reading. Very Happy
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I am loling all through this now, because so many were so confident 4kids would lose this step, claiming they have absolutely no case. I guess they gave too much trust in the Japanese companies that aren't so used to American law systems.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:04 pm Reply with quote
cohenmarioman wrote:
aren't so used to American law systems.

.... and how screwed up that system is.
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Sorraffy wrote:
cohenmarioman wrote:

It is one of the best in the world. Treats everyone fairly. The judge isn't going to have any bias against 4kids or ADK, at all. It is against the law, and a judge having bias either steps down, or is fined.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:45 am Reply with quote
This is good news, I hope 4Kids manages to english dub the rest of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's (as well as Yu-Gi-Oh! GX) before they lose the license(s).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:25 am Reply with quote
Guys, the story is pretty simple. TV Tokyo and NAS signed a contract with 4Kids. TV Tokyo and NAS think 4Kids violated the contract, terminated it, and are trying to re-sell it. 4Kids doesn't believe they violated the contract and took TV Tokyo and NAS to court. Until it's settled in the courts, the judge decides to keep the status quo: 4Kids still has the license and thus TV Tokyo and NAS cannot re-sell it.

Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
This is also similar to the Miyazaki/Ghibli/Disney censorship issue. The latter of course was eventually resolved and Ghibli/Miyazaki continued to release stuff in the US.

No, this is not like that. There was never any legal issue regarding the Ghibli films. Miyazaki simply hated that New World Pictures edited Nausicaa and thereafter refused to license any more Ghibli films until the Disney-Tokuma deal guaranteed no cuts.

jmaeshawn wrote:
Quote:
the trial on the franchise's licensing will proceed in two phases: the first will determine whether TV Tokyo and NAS' announced cancellation of 4Kids' license was valid, and the second will determine whether 4Kids owes the owners money and exactly how much.

Why do they need to hold two trials for this?

If 4Kids owes them money, TV Tokyo and NAS announcing the license's cancellation was valid because 4Kids broke the license agreement.

Just solve everything in one go, and move along...

Not 2 trials, just 2 phases. The 1st phase: whether 4Kids did violate the contract, and the 2nd phase: how much does 4Kids owe. In theory, 4Kids could owe them money but still not to the level of violating the contract (ex: not knowingly or intentionally doing something that violates the contract, but in said action resulting in owing them money).

cohenmarioman wrote:
Sorraffy wrote:
cohenmarioman wrote:

It is one of the best in the world. Treats everyone fairly. The judge isn't going to have any bias against 4kids or ADK, at all. It is against the law, and a judge having bias either steps down, or is fined.

Yes, justice is blind. No sentimental feelings - just the facts.
korayon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:08 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Guys, the story is pretty simple. TV Tokyo and NAS signed a contract with 4Kids. TV Tokyo and NAS think 4Kids violated the contract, terminated it, and are trying to re-sell it. 4Kids doesn't believe they violated the contract and took TV Tokyo and NAS to court. Until it's settled in the courts, the judge decides to keep the status quo: 4Kids still has the license and thus TV Tokyo and NAS cannot re-sell it.

Just wondering about something here.

NAS is trying to sell the new series Yugioh Zexal. They are not trying to re-sell the old yugioh series.

Yugioh Zexal is a completely different series.

In Japan, some novel author is having legal problems with one publisher. But the author still can sell his second series of his problem novel to the other publisher.

Is the law really different in America? America treats all different series as one because they share the same name?

Richard J. wrote:
If the court decides based on the evidence that 4kids' deal with Funimation was within the "customary forms of license agreements" (I'm assuming that quote, given the context, is meant to be an accurate summary of a clause in the contract) then 4kids isn't in breach. Rather, the Japanese would be in breach! Ergo 4kids would still have the right to the license.

Richard J, i want to ask something. Let's say if judge say 4kids no fault.

So NAS and TV Tokyo will probably just wait until the license expire right?

But can a judge force the owner to extend the rights to 4kids even if the original owners do not willing to deal with 4kids anymore?

Can a judge even force the real owner to sell the new series Yugioh Zexal to 4kids?
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote
[quote="jsevakis"]
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

This is very expected. Any judge is going to want to hear testimony and see evidence as to whether TV Tokyo and NAS can pull their license, and will prohibit them from reselling it in the mean time. It's just common sense.

Except the American law system's definition of "Common sense" is different from the rest of the world regarding copyrights.

I can't say if it's the same thing about Japan, but at least in other countries (especially Mexico, my own country) the copyright owners have ABSOLUTE rights about their own work and they can give or take out those right whatever they want. Obviously, the licensor can be able to fight back, but the ownership of the rights ALWAYS belong to the owner, and the licensor is only that, a licensor.

But, if you try to do that in the U.S., they can sue you to hell, since it's considered an abuse from the owner fo the copyrights against the licensor. It's obvious the Japanese owners don't know a single thing how the American laws work.
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote
[quote="luisedgarf"]
jsevakis wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

This is very expected. Any judge is going to want to hear testimony and see evidence as to whether TV Tokyo and NAS can pull their license, and will prohibit them from reselling it in the mean time. It's just common sense.

Except the American law system's definition of "Common sense" is different from the rest of the world regarding copyrights.

I can't say if it's the same thing about Japan, but at least in other countries (especially Mexico, my own country) the copyright owners have ABSOLUTE rights about their own work and they can give or take out those right whatever they want. Obviously, the licensor can be able to fight back, but the ownership of the rights ALWAYS belong to the owner, and the licensor is only that, a licensor.

But, if you try to do that in the U.S., they can sue you to hell, since it's considered an abuse from the owner fo the copyrights against the licensor. It's obvious the Japanese owners don't know a single thing how the American laws work.

Well, in that sense it is a ton better, it is fairer. Once you sign a contract, you cannot break it. When they signed that contract back in 2008, I thought they were guaranteed until the end, 2015. I don't think NAS is too keen to American copyright laws, because they probably thought they could just take it away at will like that.

I would say they can force it, as 4kids has rights to the whole series, including whatever is after. If not, then NAS would have to wait 4 years to get Zexal into the worldwide market, which isn't a nice thing to wait for since it will already be over.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote
The information we're missing here is the crucial bit to fully understanding this, which is the wording and terms of the contract.

Given how long 4kids has had YGO, and how popular it is, I'd say it's probably safe to assume that there is a right of first refusal clause in the contract. This means that whenever TV Tokyo and NAS make a new YGO series, they have to offer it to 4kids first, and can only offer it to other companies if 4kids turns it down.

Of course, this is assuming that the contract is still in play. Obviously, TVT/NAS say it's not, because they say 4kids violated it and therefore the contract is terminated. Since 4kids is disputing that the contract was violated, and thus disputing that TVT/NAS could legally terminate the contract, the contract is not fully null-and-void until the court case is finished. Which means that, if it does exist, 4kids' right of first refusal is still in play until the contract is fully terminated.

[Assuming the RtFR clause] the judge made the right decision. TVT/NAS were in the wrong in trying to sell Zexal until the case is over.

Personally, with or without the clause, I think it was poor form to try to sell it anyway, it just makes TVT/NAS look bad.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
korayon wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Just wondering about something here.

NAS is trying to sell the new series Yugioh Zexal. They are not trying to re-sell the old yugioh series.

Yugioh Zexal is a completely different series.

Depends on how the contract is worded. The contract may give 4Kids the license for until a certain year, including any new series. Or the contract may give 4Kids the right of first refusal for any new series, so it has to be offered to them first. Or 4Kids is the exclusive licensee of YGO in N. America, so no other company can also license YGO in that region. We don't know.
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm almost certain 4kids has the first right clause, as hard core fans were so upset when 4kids got 5Ds, but then a few smarter members made note of how 4kids is the first one to be contacted. This could have been speculation though.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:15 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
ITT: People will not realize that NAS and TV Tokyo were attempting to sell Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal to another company while 4Kids' exclusive rights to the franchise had not truly been removed. There's nothing surprising in this decision, unless you're a zealot who just wants to see 4Kids burn for actions that may (or may not) have occurred.

True , though one problem. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Either way it's soo funny and soo sad that their doing all of this just to hold on to a series. Talk about desperate.

WHY CANT THEY JUST DIE ALREADY!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:25 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Primus wrote:
ITT: People will not realize that NAS and TV Tokyo were attempting to sell Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal to another company while 4Kids' exclusive rights to the franchise had not truly been removed. There's nothing surprising in this decision, unless you're a zealot who just wants to see 4Kids burn for actions that may (or may not) have occurred.

True , though one problem. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Either way it's soo funny and soo sad that their doing all of this just to hold on to a series. Talk about desperate.

WHY can't THEY JUST DIE ALREADY!!!

Well, because it seems NAS might have done wrong. They did with this at least. It might hurt them when the actual case starts.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:31 am Reply with quote
ABetterTimeandPlace wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
There wasn't really a Harmony Gold/Macross "incident" specifically, either, though there are a few legal issues there that have absolutely no similarity to this at all.

While their similarities are debatable, there are several Harmony Gold/Macross incidents, as demonstrated by Harmony Gold's attempts to block the import of Japanese Macross Plus merchandise and Macross games.

Um...you are aware that it was Big West who wanted to block it, right? The rights were sold to Harmony Gold by Tatsunoko Production who did not own the series. It was owned by Big West.

And HG didn't block it. We got Plus. The reason we haven't got anything else Macross-related is because of the relationship between Harmony Gold and Big West.

Anyway; was actually interested in Zexal. Sad to see this happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2