• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Rurouni Kenshin Poll: Favorite Character Then & Now

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miyuu~ki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:41 pm Reply with quote
@mufurc
yes.
I absolutely, 100% agree with everything you just said^^
ScarredSwordHeart

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Then you should avoid Rurouni Kenshin, the only part of the series that doesn't have the "clownish antics" and "fantasy freaks" are the two volumes that the first two OVAs are based on.

You forgot about Mumyoi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ScarredSwordHeart

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:30 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:

Er, maybe I'm mistaken but the Venom copycat wasn't present in the Tomoe story at all (btw they were trying to retrieve Kaoru, but that was long after "Venom" was written out of the story). He was one of Enishi's henchmen.

Venom was indeed present. Kenshin saw what his body looked like when they were fighting in the Binding Forest. Venom swore revenge on Kenshin for having seen his body, but had to retreat due to Kenshin's wakizashi being ensconced in his right hand.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

This is how marketing departments skew polls. They want results that are favorable to what they are currently trying to sell.

Quoting this for truth. While multiple polls can be used to ascertain character popularity over time (think of the NewType character polls run every month), polls like these run so infrequently, to me, speak more towards product marketing. It is interesting but I wouldn't read too much into it.

sainta wrote:
but I thought the reason for that was that the manga was shonen and thus had to keep a sense of humor, while the OVAs could be considered seinen and actually try to make the whole series realistic.

But Tsuioku-hen, the first OAV, was fully fleshed out in the same manga run in Shonen JUMP. The darker, more mature setting and characterization has to do entirely with the change of setting (Kyoto during the Revolution/Bakumatsu versus ten years into the Meiji Era) not a change in demographic. Tsuioku-hen is actually a subset of Jinchuu-hen.

Also, Kenshin, is fairly realistic if you read/watch it as historical fiction in addition to just another samurai anime. The fact that it is such good historical fiction is why I've been a fan of it since watching it in 1998.

enurtsol wrote:
errinundra wrote:
I have a view that one should never judge an anime on whether it follows its source accurately. It is a separate creation and deserves to be judged on its own terms.

Then anyone could say the same thing about any adaptation, be it anime or live-action, Japanese or not so Japanese.

Um, yeah? What's so bad about that? That's why they're called adaptations.

I think it is worth noting where there were changes in the translation from manga to anime, I don't think it fair to immediately spank the later adaptation for changes from the original. Judge the anime on its own merits, not whether or not it is a panel-by-panel copy of the manga.

Let's look at the adaptation of the final fight in Jinchuu-hen between Kenshin and Enishi as depicted in the manga and in the second OAV, Seisou-hen. I don't think there is a bigger discrepancy of events between the manga and anime. The circumstances of this fight were changed as I remember, and the length of the fight was drastically altered, there's more than enough to compare the two than I care to write. A lot of people hate Seisou-hen because of it's drastic changes and limited portrayal of the events of the third story-arc of the manga. Seisou-hen's purpose wasn't to portray Jinchuu-hen. It was (yet another) epilogue to the story. It loosely used the story from Jinchuu-hen to forward its actual story, the events of Meiji 26.

Now, if we want to get into the acting, animation techniques or styles or characterization of Seisou-hen, I think all of that is fair game to criticize.

mufurc wrote:
I know the last one was made specifically for the US market because the first one was so popular over there.

[citation needed]

When Rurouni Kenshin ran on TV from '96 to '98, it was immensely popular (save until the last month or two it was on air when it was canceled), so it made sense that in 1999 the first OAV came out. There was still demand for a second OAV to come out in 2001. According to ANN's database, it doesn't even look like the first OAV was licensed in North America until 2002. And I doubt that Japan was looking at all of us tape-trading the TV series and first OAV and said "Let's make more of this!"

Or am I misunderstanding something?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4