• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Creator Aims to End Manga in 20 Volumes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banjo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:24 am Reply with quote
good to see it end, hopefully other shounen junk endless series ends too.
unready

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:33 am Reply with quote
The reason most other series get stretched out is because the author initially creates one chapter, not knowing where the story will go. Then he tries to sell it to a publisher. If it sells and it's a hit, the publisher (and the author) want to produce as many chapters as they can get people to buy.

Isayama said somewhere that he plotted out the whole story before he started on production of the first chapter, which is the ideal development process for writing something more like a novel (although there are plenty of novels that get sold on only the first chapter).

For the author to have such a good sense of where the story is going, I think, produces a better story along the way. It's cool that he's got his publisher on-board with a finite run. But then, it's not like anyone has only marginally made money out of it so far.
bakabakadeshi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:48 am Reply with quote
Well, like Oda, Arakawa and other only a few shonen mangakas, Isayama knows where his story is going and how it ends. Kubo and Kishi on the other hand though...
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:13 am Reply with quote
This is pleasing news, as much as I enjoy this series the thought of it having an ending in mind will keep my enjoyment up. I was worried it might have fallen into a similar pit fall that series like Naruto and Bleach fell into.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blightstrider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:46 am Reply with quote
Hrrm. That twenty more from now or twenty in total? I am not sure I can see the whole series in twenty volumes...
cloud8100

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:50 am Reply with quote
Nice to know it won't drag on for longer than necessary. But man is it gonna be hard to find another manga to get as attached to. Wonder if I'll have another favourite by then. And is that a further 20 volumes or 20 volumes in the series?
Kerberous

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:03 am Reply with quote
*Clap clap*

It's still a bit long, but nowhere near other popular shounen.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:20 am Reply with quote
Didn't the mangaka say at some that the story is already written? This sounds about right.
ashura zoldyck

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:00 am Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
The question is if he will end it at 20 volumes, or in 20 volumes, because that could be a huge difference! But, if its only 20 volumes long, I think that would be a good length, so that it doesn't over stay its welcome. But, its got a couple years left in it then!

look at the 20th volume of attack on titan the series will end
Kreion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:06 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Well I can imagine. After all there's a finite spoiler[number of people who could turn out to be titans-in-disguise].

This is true? I freaking predicted this the second spoiler[Eren transformed]

I'm still upset about hte whole genre switch this manga/anime had on me. Really would've liked it better if it was just spoiler[humans vs titans the whole time instead of Titans vs Titans. was SciFi at first with just humans using cool tech to fight Titans then switched to Fantasy when they transformed Sad ].

For that reason, I'm glad he isn't gonna run it forever. Keep at it's best and end it there.

I disagree, the setting is far more set in fantasy than sciFi. I don't know why you feel so offended by the direction of the series, it's not all humans being titans vs titans - just a select few. The rest still jump about on their 3DMG just fine don't they?
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:09 am Reply with quote
cloud8100 wrote:
And is that a further 20 volumes or 20 volumes in the series?

To me it sounds like in a further 20 volumes. I don't mind either way, as long it it doesn't feel rushed or doesn't feel to drawn out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:45 am Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
cloud8100 wrote:
And is that a further 20 volumes or 20 volumes in the series?

To me it sounds like in a further 20 volumes. I don't mind either way, as long it it doesn't feel rushed or doesn't feel to drawn out.

No I think it means 20 volumes period. I believe he mentioned this in an earlier interview as well and I don't think some of you get the implications of what "another 20 volumes" would be in monthly manga time. We'd have almost another decade before it ends.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:59 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Well I can imagine. After all there's a finite spoiler[number of people who could turn out to be titans-in-disguise].

Oh c'mon, they haven't even gotten to the Cylons yet. Laughing
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote
The ANN info page on the show has the anime ending at episode 25. I don't know if they're only taking it that far, whether there's a second series coming at a later date (hiatus) or whether it's just a mistake on ANN's site.

anime#14950
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:58 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
The ANN info page on the show has the anime ending at episode 25. I don't know if they're only taking it that far, whether there's a second series coming at a later date (hiatus) or whether it's just a mistake on ANN's site.

anime#14950

This is news for the manga, not the anime. The manga currently only has 11 volumes out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5