• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Goo Poll: Which Actress Could Play Evangelion's Rei

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Is this just a random topic, or could Goo be hinting without breaking any Non-Disclosure Agreements that a Japanese live-action Evangelion movie is in the works? (The American one, announced at Cannes 8 years ago, doesn't seem to be getting anywhere, roughly annual assurances from key people that major announcements are soon to be made notwithstanding.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_V_

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh don't worry they do random polls like this all the time.

The American-backed one actually has been grudgingly moving forward....in the sense that within 8 years, they finally got a single studio to commit to the project (they never said who though). Its not a simple matter of "hey we announced it then sat on our hands for 8 years" -- 3 separate problems happened:

1 - Weta kept getting offers to do other projects, particularly King Kong, which was Peter Jackson's pet project for a decade, so all other projects got put on hold.

2 - No sooner than that cleared up, than the Writer's Guild of America Strike shut down Hollywood from 2007-2008. All movie projects got put on hold.

3 - No sooner did the strike end, then in 2008 the anime market utterly collapsed and ADV lost everything, had to restructure the remnants into Section 23, etc.

So there were actually "specific reasons" the Eva movie never started. Now, of course, Weta is busy with the Hobbit through 2013, but who knows if Eva might be their big project after Hobbit, as it was originally meant to be their big post-LOTR project?

Personally, I hope they cast an unknown as Rei, based on her acting ability and not her looks.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
This is 1D too many for 2D fans! They can't see that extra dimension! They wouldn't recognize who those girls are! Laughing

_V_ wrote:

Personally, I hope they cast an unknown as Rei, based on her acting ability and not her looks.

Which is the exact opposite of what Rei is, to otaku. Laughing
egoist

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Except none of them could beat the real Rei.
Akukame

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
As much as I love Aya Ueto, she's my age (25), isn't she a bit old to be playing a 14 year old? Though I guess 25 year olds play 14 year olds all the time in Hollywood.
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Honestly...

I don't think it takes too much acting talent to play Rei =.= I mean, what can you say? "Oh no, this actress doesn't have enough emotion?" So I think that getting a newcomer and focusing on the look and the ambience would be better; a talented veteran actress whose face doesn't feel "Rei" wouldn't really work IMO.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:26 am Reply with quote
Couldn't they stick a Rei body pillow in front of the camera and accomplish pretty much the same effect? Razz
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote
While I understand that this poll is purely for the hell of it, quite honestly if a live-action Evangelion ever does get made (in any country) I think it would be most appropriate to have the Children played by unknown (but talented) child actors rather than big-name stars. They must be children - that they be children is more important than that they be Japanese - and I think given the intimately character-focused narrative of Eva it would be most appropriate for the audience to look at them and see ordinary children, not movie stars. The same goes for the adult characters, albeit to a somewhat lesser extent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:09 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Couldn't they stick a Rei body pillow in front of the camera and accomplish pretty much the same effect? Razz

Just have some guy poke it with a stick when it's Rei's turn to talk
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:58 am Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
While I understand that this poll is purely for the hell of it, quite honestly if a live-action Evangelion ever does get made (in any country) I think it would be most appropriate to have the Children played by unknown (but talented) child actors rather than big-name stars. They must be children

Oh yes, the better to sexualize them. We can't get enough nekkid 14-yr-olds! Laughing
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:28 am Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
that they be children is more important than that they be Japanese

Surely Asuka and Mari can't be considered to look Japanese/asian either way ... and Rei is supposed to be an albino, isn't she?
skogga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
How is it Keanu Reeves isn't elbowing himself into the role of Rei? And it's not because he's holding out for Shinji, he's "too tall" for that.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
People know that Rei Ayanami is fourteen years old, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1