• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - The Legend(s) Reborn

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You know what I want? Original stories. Original ideas. I want to watch anime that's not based upon a novelization of a video game, or a light novel based on a dating sim. I want more Wings of Honneamise.

Every time someone brings up Wings of Honneamise I get super bummed about how much the Blu Ray costs. At this point I've hyped it up so much in my head I'm kind of apprehensive about actually seeing it.
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Quote:
You know what I want? Original stories. Original ideas. I want to watch anime that's not based upon a novelization of a video game, or a light novel based on a dating sim. I want more Wings of Honneamise.

Every time someone brings up Wings of Honneamise I get super bummed about how much the Blu Ray costs. At this point I've hyped it up so much in my head I'm kind of apprehensive about actually seeing it.

The worst thing you can do before watching a "classic" is hype it up in your head. You'll almost always be dissapointed because it turns out some way other than what you expected.
That said, you should try going to your library's reference desk and making a request through Inter-Library Loan. (Make sure to specify you want Blu-Ray!) Smile
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Of course, Crunchyroll has Captain Harlock (1978), Speed Racer (1967), Sherlock Hound (1984), Go Lion (1981), Galaxy Express 999 (1978), Mobile Suit Gundam (1979), Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (1985), Fist of the North Star (1984) and, Mobile Suit Gundam Wing (1995), so its not a complete blackout.

But at the same time all of those titles are either package deals that are viewable elsewhere (like the Toei titles), or are still available on DVD already (like GoLion and, soon, the original Gundam).

What I'm talking about is that you don't see companies taking the chance on streaming older titles that are either way out-of-print (like those titles that were never given DVD releases over here or are extremely expensive to collect) or just have never been licensed over here; yeah GE 999 and Harlock aren't technically "licensed", but I'm pushing for more titles like that actually rather than have them be exceptions in my argument. For example, CR got 07-Ghost recently, which is a few years old, but you don't see them trying to get something like, hell, Maison Ikkoku (which is terribly out-of-print and expensive to buy and I highly doubt Viz still has the license to it) or Metal Armor Dragonar (which has never been licensed).

Yeah I chose two longer shows, but you get the point.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeahhh I try not to snob it up. I watch what I like. I don't push my tastes on anyone else. I'm not going to judge someone by what they have or have not seen.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
What I'm talking about is that you don't see companies taking the chance on streaming older titles that are either way out-of-print (like those titles that were never given DVD releases over here or are extremely expensive to collect) or just have never been licensed over here; ...
Way out of print is one thing, never released quite another, at least if the subtitle rights that have reverted to the original media owner are usable.

An old, never been licensed series will not cover the cost of the subtitling, so its a money drain from the word go unless its something that is legendary enough so that the positive coverage from doing it is valuable enough to cover the loss. for a long out of print title, if the license leans heavily enough to royalty per view, and the original subtitle script is good enough to go with, its possible to imagine making a little money.

of course, its quite possible that the license that makes it worthwhile to the streaming company leaves it of no interest to the original rights holder.

and that points to the question of why this is entirely laid at the feet of the streaming sites. given that streaming income is so low even for simulcasts, and a primary reason to stay with it is that is reduces piracy to a certain extent ~ there's a reasonable chance that the lawyer to look over the contract costs more than the series is likely to generate, unless the streaming site is willing to take a loss on the deal for some other reason. And if the rights owner is not interested in negotiating, there's nothing a legit streaming site can do.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Michael Ironside is probably the top Canadian actor alive right now.

As for webseries that I'd like to see as anime, I'd love to see an Anime News Nina anime.
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see a Megatokyo anime. Though the L33T-speak might not translate well...
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I haven't seen that movie myself, but these are exactly my thoughts too. I've seen and enjoyed my share of terrific adaptations of pre-existing material, everything from Trigun to either FMA series to Baccano! to One Piece to GITS: Stand-Alone Complex. But some of my all-time favorite series, the ones that sucked me into anime in the first place, were completely-original works. Shows like Big O, or Cowboy Bebop, or Wolf's Rain, or FLCL, or Paranoia Agent, Eureka seveN...I'd rate all of them as masterpieces, and they're all original anime stories. While it is possible to make a great adaptation of a manga or light novel, I think it's even better when a writer/director is given the free rein to tell their own story and express it in animated form. It seems like every week brings a new ANN headline about some property that's being adapted into an anime, but it's much rarer to see an announcement about a completely-original new series.

About older series, I guess I'm either the exception or the rule depending on whose account you believe, since I've seen more than my fair share of older series. Hell, I started watching anime in 2005, and two of the first shows I saw were Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, both of which were several years old at the time. I've seen much older than that, though...back when [adult swim] ran the all-time classic Gigantor, I managed to catch every episode, and I watched what they broadcast of Astro Boy, too. I'm currently enjoying the heck out of Star Blazers on SyFy, and there are any number of other older series that I'd like to get the chance to see someday, whether they're only 10 years old or 30. And yes, I did see Evangelion, though I can't say I was a major fan of it. Razz
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In the endless swarm of lame adaptations, where did all the great original works go? Ergo Proxy, Darker than Black, shoot even Mai-Otome, where art thou?

[quote=bj_waters]
P.S. Does anyone else get a massive HammerFall vibe from the title of this week's article?[/quote]Yep, that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the title. Renegade was pretty good. I liked it far better than their most recent one.... Crying or Very sad
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
it has recently been brought to my attention that Michael Ironside has a cameo in the new X-Men movie. This is pivotal, because as an avid film-goer, I have been experiencing quite a drought of Michael Ironside in my film-going diet. With the release of this newest X-Men movie, the world of blockbuster filmic entertainment has experienced a 1,000-percent increase in Michael Ironside compared to years past.

I hate to break it to you, but Ironside only plays some generic navy captain of little to no note. He does that role in his sleep by now.

So, sadly, he is not Apocalypse or any character of note.
Quote:
I of course think that Neon Genesis Evangelion is an admirably ambitious work of pop-art, but I can't exactly fault people who think that it's just confusing and depressing.
It ends on such a down note. That's what life is! A series of down endings. All Inuyasha had is a bunch of muppets!
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:53 am Reply with quote
[quote="The Xenos"]
Quote:

I hate to break it to you, but Ironside only plays some generic navy captain of little to no note. He does that role in his sleep by now.

DO NOT CARE

MICHAEL IRONSIDE IS IN MOVIE

WILL WATCH MOVIE

THAT MUCH IS CERTAIN
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
loka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:04 am Reply with quote
Stories that I care about that need finished in anime: (in order of preference)
Elfen Lied,
Excel Saga,
GANTZ,
Kare Kano

English manga publishers' favorite thing to do is to stop publishing a series midway. I care most about someone finishing Fujoshi Rumi, Kamisama Kazoku, and Sola

Technilogical sophistication has nothing to do with my preference of new over old. The majority of old character designs are repulsive.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:12 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
In the endless swarm of lame adaptations, where did all the great original works go? Ergo Proxy, Darker than Black, shoot even Mai-Otome, where art thou?

Umm...try checking the noitamniA block?
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:

The same block that gave us Fractale and Freezing? If so, I've tried that, and there were no original masterpieces to be found. Certainly nothing like the shows I originally listed.

The incredibly lame name of the block signifies the lackluster content IMO--the same weak & banal ideas rehashed into a "new" form. The name is also rather unpronounceable, as the titles of many shows on the block should be. Wink

Would I be incorrect to assume that your suggestion is based around PM^3? I haven't seen that in its entirety yet, but I really can't say that I have a desire to do so anytime soon. I'd then also assert that one potentially good show out of droves of abysmal shows does not present a good ratio of ideal original content to crap for the block.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:15 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:

The same block that gave us Fractale and Freezing? If so, I've tried that, and there were no original masterpieces to be found. Certainly nothing like the shows I originally listed.

The incredibly lame name of the block signifies the lackluster content IMO--the same weak & banal ideas rehashed into a "new" form. The name is also rather unpronounceable, as the titles of many shows on the block should be. Wink

Would I be incorrect to assume that your suggestion is based around PM^3? I haven't seen that in its entirety yet, but I really can't say that I have a desire to do so anytime soon. I'd then also assert that one potentially good show out of droves of abysmal shows does not present a good ratio of ideal original content to crap for the block.

Um...neither Freezing or Puell Magi Madoka Magica were on the noitaminA block.

The noitaminA block (which I don't think is unpronouncable at all, and even if it were, should that be a factor?) has had such great stuff in the last couple years as:

Tatami Galaxy
House of Five Leaves
Eden of the East
Mononoke
Princess Jellyfish
C-Control
Shiki
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

And that's just the stuff I've seen a few episodes of (at least)

Now, I guess you can argue about how good some of those shows are. But I don't think that you can argue that most of them are pretty original, and that the block is offering a pretty wide variety of stuff that you don't see too often outside the "mainstream".

Heck, the stuff YOU listed as "great original works" are only a few years old, which I think is extremely weird. Most people lament at anime going down the toilet at around the turn of the millenium at the latest
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5