• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monster (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milcor1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Manga fans have known about this great title for years and I'm glad it's getting the treament it deserves for its anime version. Manga has ALOT of titles not yet published in anime form that are just as good as Monster and alot of times better.

Sorry, just trying to stir up some interest in manga as the manga forum here could use the extra discussion Wink.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Dear Mother of mercy this show just keep getting better with every single show. Eps 55 spoiler[was freaking amazing, what a great way to end the lawyer arc. That why I find this show to be so good, character development is done for just about every single character into this show. Really good moment in the show when Tenma gets the notebook and then his attnory (Spelling sorry) is shown with his new family. I really hope that Eva is not dead she was such a good piece to the story. Guess we shall see at the mansion of red roses. ] Hopefully this thread can be use to talk about the new show as they are released. Because this is a show that really deserve some light on it.

Also milcor1 you mention that were title like monster that are still not yet being made into an anime any suggetions on what titles you believe are as good as Monster????
Isaaru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:17 am Reply with quote
episode 54- spoiler[the jailbreak setup was sooo funny. i totally never saw it coming. ]

and spoiler[ roberto needs to die, seriously. I applauded when Tenma shot his punk ass. ]

Eva is my probably among my top favorite female anime characters of all time. I really feel I need my head checked for saying the following... I love Eva Heinemann.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:41 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Also milcor1 you mention that were title like monster that are still not yet being made into an anime any suggetions on what titles you believe are as good as Monster????

20th Century Boys.
Emil Scherbe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:09 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
50+ eps and yet no fillers what so ever

EP 9,13,18,20,32,49 were considered as filler
though these EPs were also faithful to original manga
and some people felt even better than main plot.

(IMHO EP 58-60 are also almost filler)
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:07 am Reply with quote
Emil Scherbe wrote:
(IMHO EP 58-60 are also almost filler)

I have not yet seen 58-60 but I guess I will wait and see. But for the most part a vast majority of the EPS are not fillers so to speak and I think that it a breath of fresh air, most shows feel like there mostly filled with fillers and the main plot is basically thrown in at the end.

But until I see eps 58-60 I will take yours (Emil Scherbe) opinion on this subject, but of course once I see these eps I reserve all right to change my opinion. But in all fair honesty when I started this show a LONG LONG time ago, I really felt that it was going to be a lot of filler eps so maybe that why I have been so "gitty" about how this show has developed.

Isaaru wrote:
and spoiler[roberto needs to die, seriously. I applauded when Tenma shot his punk ass.]

yea but what a freaking awesomespoiler[surprise that was when Tenma looks up and see Roberto just starring at him from the overside of the glass. Now that is just damn good] Well until I see more monster and more discussion can proceed, take care.

Delta Kiral

Last edited by Deltakiral on Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:23 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
yea but what a freaking awesomespoiler[surprise that was when Tenma looks up and see Roberto just starring at him from the overside of the glass. Now that is just damn good] Well until I see more monster and more discussion can proceed, take care.

I didn't really think he died anyway. There was never a report that his body was found, and it seems the writers are trying to build Tenma up as one of those "ultimate protagonists that never kills anyone," a la Kenshin, but without that dreadful past to add to the intrigue.

Of course, this will all pend on the actual ending when he finally gets an open shot at Johan or whatever is going to happen Anime catgrin.

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:08 am Reply with quote
What I want to know is what hasn't this been licensed yet? It is such a great show. Somebody has got to pick it up. Would they be waiting till it's over?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:36 am Reply with quote
I hope Geneon gets it. They already got Master Keaton, another of Urasawa's creations. I haven't seen it yet aside from the cheesy trailer on some other Geneon DVDs. But thanks to the genius I've experienced in Monster, I'm curious enough that I just might check it out for the heck of things Razz.

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:10 am Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:
What I want to know is what hasn't this been licensed yet? It is such a great show. Somebody has got to pick it up. Would they be waiting till it's over?

Honesty I think no ones announced it yet because its such a gamble title. Its not for everyone and it takes a a couple eps for the plot to get going but once it does the show becomes a addiction.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:16 am Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:

1. Well New Line Cienema technically has the rights to the manga and the main idea of the stoy. ala guy makes what he thinks is a good decision ends up costing him everything. But seriously this anime probably won't get license, one the sheer cost of a series that is over 70 eps would be a huge finacial burden.

2. The current trend of anime is lots of action now ask question later when your adding in the story at the end.

3. this series isn't over yet maybe companies are waiting for that or something????

4. Whoever has the rights to the show now probably wants a truck load of money for this series. I really dont think that they (anime companies) are waiting for this series to end look at speed grapher, baslik and soon to be trinty blood, those shows are only into the first few eps and are already have been licensed. The problems is that is that most companies feel that there would be no profit in licensing this show.

Also if this did get license would you want the VA to be European for most of the characters and Japanese for Tenma? I was hoping the dub could be like how Hellsing is, they really make the character in that series seems like they are English.

Delta Kiral
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:10 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
But seriously this anime probably won't get license, one the sheer cost of a series that is over 70 eps would be a huge finacial burden.

Well, Geneon did get Hajime no Ippo, which is 76 episodes. But not having seen it yet, I'm going to guess the whole boxing theme might have a bigger potential for customers rather than a crime drama.

Deltakiral wrote:
Also if this did get license would you want the VA to be European for most of the characters and Japanese for Tenma? I was hoping the dub could be like how Hellsing is, they really make the character in that series seems like they are English.

You mean have the English VAs sound German, or actually speak German?

One of the things I like about Hellsing's dub is the fact that they do give most everyone their respective British accents. However, after seeing Monster, they do quite a bit of langauge switching throughout the series, particularly between German, Czech, and a little Japanese.

It doesn't really matter to me how this show might eventually getted dubbed, but it should be interesting to see how they handle some of the language transitions, if ever.
Jygoro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I see finally are appearing topics to commment my fav series. Hi everyone, BTW. Smile

I want to speak about "fillers" episodes. I've read the entire Monster manga and IMO Monster story has not fillers. The anime is adapting all the important from the story (they only are cutting dialogs and scenes somewhat unnecessary). So if they are adapting that mini-stories about mankind's nature too (ep 9,13,18,20,32,49...) is because they really think are necessary for the understanding of the story. And the author made a great work tying that mini-stories to the main story, making them more important than simples fillers.

A filler IMO could be an episode where Nina goes to the beach with her friend Lotte, for example. I really wish to see Nina in bikini, but that would be a filler since it has nothing to do with the main story and the characters are not being developed.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
You mean have the English VAs sound German, or actually speak German?

In this a sense I am saying both. I would want the English VAs to sound like they are German, Czech, and Japanese. But also in further answering your question.

Tony K. wrote:
However, after seeing Monster, they do quite a bit of langauge switching throughout the series, particularly between German, Czech, and a little Japanese.

Now when different characters are speaking Czech and Tenma is unable to understand I would like the VA to actually speak Czech so that I as a viewer feel like I don't understand what is going much like Tenma. As for when characters are speaking German, for the most part I would want them speaking English with and accent. I guess the viewer (us) should be able to understand German since it is spoken in Japanese.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Now when different characters are speaking Czech and Tenma is unable to understand I would like the VA to actually speak Czech so that I as a viewer feel like I don't understand what is going much like Tenma. As for when characters are speaking German, for the most part I would want them speaking English with and accent. I guess the viewer (us) should be able to understand German since it is spoken in Japanese.

Ah, I understand. Just like the German is implied, but spoken naturally as Japanese (for the Japanese audience), the dub should be in English, but still implied and understood as German, much like a lot of other dubs usually do with Japanese.

If that's the case, then keeping the German and Japanese as English, but with respective accents for the purpose of differentiating when needed, all while keeping the Czech as actual Czech (with subtitles where needed) is what you're suggesting?

That actually might be pretty easy to do considering most of the characters in Prague were able to speak "German" anyway Razz.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 15