• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Fall 2013 - The List

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Kaisos Erranon wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
*ignorance*

There are so many things wrong with this post that I simply don't have time to list them all, so instead I'm going to call you a moron.
You're a moron.

So instead of saying one reason why Chiaki Kon is a good choice for golden time and a good director, you have to resort to name calling. I think she is one of the worst anime directors in the industry. because of the pacing of her series, her misuse of fan service,her budget allocation, and how she appears to not understand the series she works on.

I would welcome anyone but her as a director for any show I care about.I fail to see any positive aspect to her directing or why someone would hire her.
I wish there were more female and married directors in anime but not at the expense of more people like her please.

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Okay, you want me to be a bit more straight with you here?
a) You have no idea what a director actually does, b) I am also very concerned about Kon working on Golden Time, but I've enjoyed at least one show she's worked on before and so am planning to keep an open mind until I watch the first episode, and c) you're a [nope].

[Mod Edit: C was unnecessary and personal attacks are not allowed on these forums. Disagree respectfully or not at all. - Keonyn]
stardf29

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Fine, I'll give one good reason why Chiaki Kon is a good choice.

She directed Nodame Cantabile: Paris and Finale. Both of which are in the lower 100s in ANN's ranking of top anime (by Bayesian estimate).

And Nodame Cantabile is far closer to the type of show that Golden Time is than all those other shows you listed.

Now, if you personally had problems with that show, that's your opinion, but you would probably be going against the general consensus for those shows.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Considering Kon's efforts with Nodame Cantabile Paris and Finale, I'd say that more than qualifies her to work on Golden Time. Unless I'm completely wrong in my assumption that, like Nodame, Golden Time will be a romantic comedy set in college and/or shortly after college.

The problem with Seacats wasn't the director. The problem was Ryuukishi's laughably terrible writing which burned out after Higurashi. You'll notice that the Higurashi anime adaptations aren't nearly as despised as Seacats, and yet, Kon was the director for that entire franchise, with the exception of the Rei and Kira OVAs.

Give Kon decent source material and she has proven herself a serviceable director. I can't speak for Golden Time's source material, but I'm sure it's a heck of a lot better than Seacats.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I was a theater major I know what a director does, and the director has final authority and can send work back if they are not quality or do not line up with the unifying vision of the piece. and I am sorry but giving characters the right personality is something that would be included in stuff you send back.

I thought the live action for nodame was far better and that she took a lot of what the director did right from that series (and to be fair removed what they did wrong), while still creating pacing problems in the first half the paris chapter (so the paris season), and finale as well as paris not be as well done as the first season.

If she can replicate a nodame level directing job however I would be ecstatic and very happy as it was actually well done. I do not see her doing that this time however because I felt she actually understood nodame as a charcter and made her stand out even more while the live action emphasized chiaki and milch. I am not sure if the lead female in golden time could carry the show like nodame though and it seems to be more of a group driven like EF a tale of... rather then something like nodame, one piece, or even fairy tail.

I will ignore the dig at ryukishi07 because you obviously did not see any other adaptation of when the seaguls cry besides the anime makes me want to cry when ever someone says they only watched the anime. I will say that Kon wanted to be the director for Rei, Kira, outbreak, or the new ova series because ryukishi would not let her because she screwed up major parts of the story beyond recognition. If you want proof that umineko is fine in mediums that go through 1.5 volumes of manga in 20 minutes then look at the ANN reviews for the manga which score consistent B+/A- and that is for the bad part of the series before it gets good, and then compare it to kons work.

There are times when she can be serviceable such as Zakuro however I have seen most of her non BL oriented shows and dropped most of them because of the problems I previously mentioned and unless she just keeps getting horrible people working for her then I have to assume she is the reason why the problems keep happening.

In my opinion she is the M Night Shyamalan of the anime industry. She occasionally does good work but she has to many problems to make it actually come together and it is normally just a huge mess.
I just wish it was someone other then her directing golden time.

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
ajr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
NANA in Golden Time? I wasn't expecting that.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
ajr wrote:
NANA in Golden Time? I wasn't expecting that.

Yay and she looks just like her as well. I hope she ends up singing if it really is that NANA.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Looks like another season that'll make me wonder why I still watch anime. It's all become this homogenous, cookie-cutter slush made up of the most superficial elements.

Maybe Samurai Flamenco will at least be watchable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh good, maybe you'll eventually stop commenting on every season about how it's the worst ever.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:22 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Oh good, maybe you'll eventually stop commenting on every season about how it's the worst ever.

Not if it still bothers you.

Excuse me for caring that anime has turned into crap. Perhaps some day you, too, will have standards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Not if it still bothers you.

Excuse me for caring that anime has turned into crap. Perhaps some day you, too, will have standards.

Run to the hills, the end is near. All anime is crap.

Really penquintruth.......

Guess you really have no more reason to watch anymore. More anime for us to enjoy.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, actually this season's looking up a bit for me, at least preliminarily.

However, a lot of those titles I'm into solely for visual reasons, like Yozakura Quartet and Kill la Kill.

I think it's safe to say that in the anime industry today the writing department is just not up to par with the animation department. We tend not to see shows that look terrible but have an excellent story, rather it's often the other way around.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Hurray, the second season of Freezing.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Ya, this season does not have a lot except for season 2s.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Guess you really have no more reason to watch anymore. More anime for us to enjoy.

Thanks for the degradation of the art form.

[Mod Edit: This is trolling and an attack on other posters. Knock it off with this kind of posting or you'll find yourself under moderation. - Keonyn]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 14