• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Bizarre School Clubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
AnimeMaine wrote:
The underwear club in Chu-Bra is rather bizarre.

The only reason I came into this thread was to mention Chu-Bra's underwear club. I guess the controversy surrounding the premise of that anime is well past its sell-by date, so it was just forgotten.

Not gonna touch Kimba vs. Simba with a hundred-foot pole, other than mentioning I enjoyed The Lion King and didn't care for what little of Jungle Emperor Leo I've actually seen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:23 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
I think the Going Home Club in Chronicles of the Going Home Club is rather unusual too

I haven't seen that anime, but in Japanese junior high/high schools, participation rates in clubs as a whole is very high, and 帰宅部("kitaku-bu" = "go home" + "club") is an old joke term used to refer to the students who don't belong to any club, and therefore go home earlier than everyone else.

Another good one is 幽霊部員("yuurei-buin" = "ghost" + "club member"), meaning someone who is in theory a member of a club, but never shows up for the meetings/practices.

IIRC, there's a line in the first episode of Hyouka, where Hotaro's been pushed into joining the Classical Japanese Literature Club by his sister, and he -- intending to join to satisfy his sister but never actually participate -- thinks to himself, "Oh well, ultimately there's not much difference between being a 幽霊部員 or a member of the 帰宅部, so why not sign up?" Of course, Chitanda had other ideas about that.
gedata

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Eiken CLub should be number 1.

I still don't what it is or why it exists, same for everyone else
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Just because someone gave it a title like "urban exploration" doesn't mean it's not weird. Fascination with abandoned buildings *is* wierd. Most people aren't interested in such things, and certainly don't feel the urge to go spelunking through such places.

Most people aren't interested in stamp or coin collecting, or rock climbing, or caving, or any number of hobbies I could mention. Are archaeologists weird? Do you have any other reasons for thinking fascination with abandoned buildings is weird? I mean, I know I'm weird, but it's not because I like exploring abandoned buildings. Nor do I think I'm drawn to it because I'm weird. Smile
grooven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote
It is not solely Hamlet, people who say it is based on this have obviously never read all of Hamlet. Only small aspects of that are similar. Disney pretty much admitted they borrowed from Kimba in the special features on the DVD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Earlypresentationreelwhitelionking.jpg
Everyone already knows they took way too much from it, but they will never out right say they did. Hell, even the staff of the Simpsons know it. It would be fine to say "inspired by" or give credit since Tezuka admired Disney and even met him. But to say you have no idea, is a kick in the face and an outright lie.

Even Claw (Bubu) in some versions of Jungle Taitei is Kimba's (Leo's) uncle. He also has hyena henchmen. Scar's colour scheme is pretty identical to Claw's and even has a single claw mark over one eye. http://media.japanpowered.com/images/white-lion-king-villains.jpg

Anyway, Kimba is a better character and a better overall series anyway Very Happy. Kimba/Leo has way more balls than Simba since he spoiler[scarifies his life to save someone who saved his daughter]
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
victor viper wrote:
For bizarre school clubs, the Chupacabra Research Club from Negima!? came to mind.

Negima had a bunch of odd student activity groups. I particularly liked the Library Exploration Club, although the students involved weren't particularly odd.

The Library Exploration Club was pretty much the first thing that came to mind in terms of bizarre clubs. I agree that the members are not really odd, although Haruna and Konoka (yes, she's a member, at least in terms of the manga) do have their quirks. However, the fact that the club involves a library that's resembles something that archeologists and treasure hunters would love to explore makes this club interesting.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
AbZeroNow wrote:
I think the Going Home Club in Chronicles of the Going Home Club is rather unusual too

I haven't seen that anime, but in Japanese junior high/high schools, participation rates in clubs as a whole is very high, and 帰宅部("kitaku-bu" = "go home" + "club") is an old joke term used to refer to the students who don't belong to any club, and therefore go home earlier than everyone else..

Its an actual club in the anime.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
The idea of school clubs can get weird once you start getting into the "out there" genres. In Negima, the club which I thought was odd wasn't the Library Exploration Club or the Cupracabara club, it's the Walking {or "strolling"} Club {off.} which sidelined as a Ninja Club somehow.

Also, in Girls Und Panzer, shenshodo is a club; It's more than a sport, it's ... a WWII military tactic. Which reminds me of the Magic User's Club which has the bizarre premise of being a sanctioned school club for real magic where it's still predominately unknown in a world being invaded by aliens, kind of.

The odd part isn't that they formed to study magic, they formed to fight the aliens using unstudied magic.

On the realistic side, there's the "whatever" club Rikka made in Love, Chuubyo and Other Delusions; Far East Magical Napping Club Summer There of. And in a similar name, Love, Elections and Chocolates had the Candy Eating Club which used official funding to buy candy. To eat.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
This list makes me wonder about a Silver Spoon/8-Bit Theater crossover. Finally, Red Mage finds a legitimate use for his animal husbandry skill!
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Just because someone gave it a title like "urban exploration" doesn't mean it's not weird. Fascination with abandoned buildings *is* wierd. Most people aren't interested in such things, and certainly don't feel the urge to go spelunking through such places.

Most people aren't interested in stamp or coin collecting, or rock climbing, or caving, or any number of hobbies I could mention. Are archaeologists weird? Do you have any other reasons for thinking fascination with abandoned buildings is weird? I mean, I know I'm weird, but it's not because I like exploring abandoned buildings. Nor do I think I'm drawn to it because I'm weird. Smile

The world is full of wierd people doing wierd things, that's what makes it fun. A world without wierdness would be a very dull world. So just because I think people who have a fascination with abandoned buildings are wierd, it doesn't mean that I think they're "wrong" somehow for enjoying that, or that they shouldn't do it if that's something they enjoy.

It's just wierd.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
Was surprised with the Kimba/Simba poll. Mainly as I don't know anyone of my generation who watched Kimba, and figured only old people watched it.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote
Wha? No Wood Glue Club from Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:19 am Reply with quote
The most bizarre school club in Japan was the Super Free Club - unfortunately it doesn't have anything to do with swimming.

Pelianth wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
What about that club in Birdy the Mighty: Decode? The one where its purpose is to explore abandoned buildings and similar modern "ruins"? I thought that was pretty bizarre.

How is that weird? Urban exploration is totally a thing.

Exploring abandoned underground tunnels and sewers was even a TV series on the History Channel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cities_of_the_Underworld

(And people actually choose to live there.)

vanfanel wrote:

Another good one is 幽霊部員("yuurei-buin" = "ghost" + "club member"), meaning someone who is in theory a member of a club, but never shows up for the meetings/practices.

That'd be me but only due to conflicts with other clubs and sports. Laughing
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and Haruhi who can manipulate subconsciously manipulate reality.

???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4