• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Bizarre School Clubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:32 am Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
Quote:
and Haruhi who can manipulate subconsciously manipulate reality.

???

The repetition of "manipulate" is an obvious mistake that has been pointed out at least once before.
Haruhi's ability to alter reality subconsciously is the basic premise of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quote
The error was what I wanted to point out, not any confusion concerning the premise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
What about that club in Birdy the Mighty: Decode? The one where its purpose is to explore abandoned buildings and similar modern "ruins"? I thought that was pretty bizarre.

Weird is something that is determined by how society perceives it.

Well, technically no (google the definition for "weird" and you'll see what I mean), but I assume you were using it as a synonym for "bizarre", since the normal definition of "weird" simply doesn't fit.

I'll chime in and say I also don't find such a club weird (or bizarre).
drifty1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
"how it was approved by any sane student council is beyond me"

Have you ever run across a "sane" student council in any anime? If so, please tell me where?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Well what about the Ping Pong Club, that was a weird anime about Ping Pong.

I'm sure that Go Nagai probably had some but I couldn't think of any.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
on the whole Kimba/Jungle Emperor (Jungle Emperor Leo was the sequel to it and dubbed as Leo the Lion) and Lion King thing, from what I've found out looking into the whole issue it looks to me like Disney was sure they'd get the license for the Jungle Emperor/Kimba stuff and thinking it was a sure bet decided to do their take on it before they actually got the rights to it. when it turned out they didn't get it, but rather RightStuf/Nozomi did, they they then wound up salvaging what they'd done already by working to turn it in to something more original, adding in some Hamlet elements and such as well.

it's clear with some of the early stuff and comments it was rather heavily influenced by it (the early title for it was the Jungle King, Simba was originally white, Matthew Broderick made statements he was going to be voicing Kimba, and so on) but they also clearly turned the Lion King into their own thing as well.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Well what about the Ping Pong Club, that was a weird anime about Ping Pong.

Ping Pong (aka Table Tennis) Clubs are very common and normal in Japan. I knew students who were members of them. Bear in mind that all sports/drama/music clubs that we might take as classes or have been school-funded in America are club activities in Japan that are funded by students.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:24 am Reply with quote
Virtually every junior high, senior high, university, and usually city/town has some sort of table tennis club, if not dedicated ping pong parlors/schools.

It is a major sport in Japan.

In my experience if a school has to choose between funding a girls soccer team, a boys volleyball team, or even a basketball team, and a table tennis team, they would go with table tennis.

Not to mention, if a school has a tennis club, 9 times out of 10 it will be soft (nanshiki) tennis. Which is about as close to real tennis as put-put is to golf...
irishninja

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:56 am Reply with quote
We've been watching C3 so that club immediately came to mind when we saw this article's title.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:06 am Reply with quote
That's definitely one that's bizarre noway you spin it, especially once you factor in the high-class school.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:11 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
That's definitely one that's bizarre noway you spin it, especially once you factor in the high-class school.

not to mention you can't buy full-power airsoft guns until you're 18 in Japan... (the kid versions are too weak for playing seriously airsoft). And no self-respecting airsoft teams in Japan (I used to play there) allow members less than 18 anyway..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4