• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks To Dub Maria Holic for Blu-ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Now, what would be really nice is if when they dubbed Maria+Holic, they combined the first and second season in one convenient package.

I enjoy bad dubs that make my ears bleed, it's right up there with bad Japanese tracks that make my ears bleed. As someone said, Yu Kobayashi's good, really, really good. It's Asano that's the problem here...
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Good.... Good.... *rubs hands together*

Now Sentai... Go back and dub seasons 2 & 3 of You're Under Arrest using the Coastal Carolina cast!! Do it!! GANESH DEMANDS YOU!!

I might just explode if they were to do that - LOVED the dub cast of the first season that AnimeEigo put out way back when.
SexyLexy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Now Sentai... Go back and dub seasons 2 & 3 of You're Under Arrest using the Coastal Carolina cast!! Do it!! GANESH DEMANDS YOU!!

I would so love for that to happen. You're Under Arrest I seem to rewatch every year. Own the entire AnimEigo release.
Lolita princess

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
It's about damn time this got dub it's a great show and i want a 3rd season
Altorrin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Are people actually falling for such obvious flamebaitl? If I see someone just complaining about the existence of dubs or subs in general and especially in such an extreme manner, I just... ignore them. It's such a basic topic for a troll to pick.

I'm glad I didn't buy Maria Holic from before. I was glad it was licensed but I wanted to watch it dubbed.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Maria Holic's getting a dub? interesting, I wonder who'll be in it
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm still waiting on that Hidamari dub Sentai. Even if it sucks (Which it probably will because Sentai) I want a dub
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
SexyLexy wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

I would so love for that to happen. You're Under Arrest I seem to rewatch every year. Own the entire AnimEigo release.

As do I.... STILL IN SHRINKWRAP!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

I watched it originally via Netflix, so no illegality took place. Wink
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Good luck enjoying a shitty dub from Sentai. Some of you will not like this, but I rather read subtitles than having my ears bleed. I wish more people will condemn Sentai for producing rushed and unprofessional dubs instead of just eating them up, no matter how awful they are.

Oh, I've commented many times before about the flaws that come up in some of their dubs that shouldn't happen (lines accidentally skipped, inconsistent mispronunciations of names, and so forth), but it doesn't do much good.

That being said, let's not try to cast Sentai's dubs as being universally shitty. They aren't, despite the errors in some, so don't go there.

And that being said again, I'm worried about the Maria Holic ones. The other roles should be fine, but I cannot imagine who that Sentai has on staff could pull off Maria.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
Sometimes the Sentai "shittiness" is part of their charm: the almost endless amount of errors in their Post-Hiatus (ie:vols 3 & 4) dub of Golgo 13 are almost as funny as the jokes purposefully inserted into the first part of the dub.

Seeing the reverence on display here for this godlike seiyu for Maria I humbly submit that this example that I'm about to mention probably doesn't compare but I remember watching the dub of Magical Witch Punie-chan after seeing the sub and it was pretty disappointing as Veronica Taylor was called upon to play 2 roles in one and she couldn't make them sound appropriately "disparate". By not watching this show in Japanese I will be spared from re-experiencing that disappointment.

So if they should cast Shelly Calene Black or Hilary Haag as the leads then I won't be as crushed as some of y'all will be. Note that I'll likely still be crushed as I get tired of Shelly Black being in nigh on every darn dub under the Sentai sun (I wish Kelly Manison could/would tag in again) but I won't send Sentai an angry letter describing how angry I am about it or anything. Rolling Eyes
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
Glad to see more people will be able to enjoy Maria Holic, but I don't personally think it'd be worth it to double dip when I already have the dvds.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:08 am Reply with quote
Sooooooo..... since I have yet to order Tari Tari on DVD despite the fact that I really , deeply loved that series, should I just wait a couple of months a expect a re-release on BD? I couldn't care less about a dub, but anything from PA Works should be watched in HD as far as I'm concerned.

The sad thing is I'm probably going to order it at some point regardless...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:44 am Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Sooooooo..... since I have yet to order Tari Tari on DVD despite the fact that I really , deeply loved that series, should I just wait a couple of months a expect a re-release on BD? I couldn't care less about a dub, but anything from PA Works should be watched in HD as far as I'm concerned.

The sad thing is I'm probably going to order it at some point regardless...

Thing is, Maria Holic is probably getting dubbed because it did well enough for Sentai to go back and dub it for the Bluray release. If ya want a dub for Tari Tari, the best thing you could do is get the DVDs now and hope for the future. What you do with your money is up to you though lol

As for Maria Holic, I've seen the first season and enjoyed it alright. Though given Sentai's *ahem* track record, Imma wait to hear an episode or two online to see how it sounds. I already have the first season, rebuying it only to have a crap dub would be a waste
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:17 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
...but I cannot imagine who that Sentai has on staff could pull off Maria.

I mentioned this on TAN, but this would be the prefect time to bring back Kira Vincent-Davis to Seraphim.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:20 am Reply with quote
Ah, crap and i already have the dvd. Although I wonder if Alive is going to get a dub(most likely, but you never know). Good thing I hadn't ordered it yet. Although this makes me wonder what catalog titles Sentai may redub or rerelease on blu ray (hopefully To Love Ru or Waiting in the Summer. Maybe Papakiki).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4