• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks To Dub Maria Holic for Blu-ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:08 am Reply with quote
Why would the dub be bad?
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:09 am Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
Surprised that Maria Holic is getting a dub(and UtaPri isn't).

Might be game for Taisho Baseball Girls(nice to see it get a BD re-release).

FINALLY! It's good to have more of Sentai releases to be given an english dub. though i mainly hope that season two of hell girl can also get a dub as well. though i would have liked to see uta pri to get one as well , at least Maria Hollic is.

kevinx59 wrote:
Ah, crap and i already have the dvd. Although I wonder if Alive is going to get a dub(most likely, but you never know). Good thing I hadn't ordered it yet. Although this makes me wonder what catalog titles Sentai may redub or rerelease on blu ray (hopefully To Love Ru or Waiting in the Summer. Maybe Papakiki).

I too would like To Love RU to also include a dub as well. Though if i recall , i belive that Right Stuff / Nozumi Animation that have the license for it unless they removed the license and Sentai picked it up.

Key wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Good luck enjoying a shitty dub from Sentai. Some of you will not like this, but I rather read subtitles than having my ears bleed. I wish more people will condemn Sentai for producing rushed and unprofessional dubs instead of just eating them up, no matter how awful they are.

Oh, I've commented many times before about the flaws that come up in some of their dubs that shouldn't happen (lines accidentally skipped, inconsistent mispronunciations of names, and so forth), but it doesn't do much good.

That being said, let's not try to cast Sentai's dubs as being universally shitty. They aren't, despite the errors in some, so don't go there.

And that being said again, I'm worried about the Maria Holic ones. The other roles should be fine, but I cannot imagine who that Sentai has on staff could pull off Maria.

Also angelmcazares Not all of the dubs are crap either. for one thing seasons 1 and 2 of Clannad was preety good , and Highschool of the Dead was definitely a good dub too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:35 am Reply with quote
No, the To Love-Ru franchise has always been Sentai's. They have released the first two series so far. (But not, curiously, the OVA series in between.)

And that one I think is more conducive to being dubbed, since none of the vocal performances in it were that distinctive. I'd be surprised if it didn't sell fairly well for them, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
paperfanofdoom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote
It'd be cool if they got a guy to play Mariya to see how they'd be able to work with both masculine and feminine voice sets and how it'd play out if a guy really did disguise themselves to get into an all-girls academy. It would just be boring if they played it safe and had a lady VA playing Mariya like with most trap roles.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:50 am Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Sooooooo..... since I have yet to order Tari Tari on DVD despite the fact that I really , deeply loved that series, should I just wait a couple of months a expect a re-release on BD? I couldn't care less about a dub, but anything from PA Works should be watched in HD as far as I'm concerned.

The sad thing is I'm probably going to order it at some point regardless...

I initially also bitched about Tari Tari not being on BD. But I decided to buy DVD's and was pleasantly surprised to see that the video looks so good to the point that I might not double dip if Sentai eventually rereleases it on BD. Speaking of BD rereleases, I hope Sentai does one for Waiting in the Summer.

jr0904 wrote:
Also angelmcazares Not all of the dubs are crap either. for one thing seasons 1 and 2 of Clannad was preety good , and Highschool of the Dead was definitely a good dub too.

To be fair I also liked those dubs from Sentai (along with Xam'd and Ghost Hound). I have had bigger issues with the dubs they have produced for series released since mid-2012 to the present. Like I said, I enjoy well done dubs, but I dislike shitty one. It is also disappointing to read that some people give R1 companies lots of credit just for including a (good or bad) dub.
RazzBerrieCharm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
What, no dub for UtaPri?!!.....

Was I the only one actually looking forward for an UtaPri dub?.... Crying or Very sad
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quote
SexyLexy wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Good.... Good.... *rubs hands together*

Now Sentai... Go back and dub seasons 2 & 3 of You're Under Arrest using the Coastal Carolina cast!! Do it!! GANESH DEMANDS YOU!!

I would so love for that to happen. You're Under Arrest I seem to rewatch every year. Own the entire AnimEigo release.

At this point, I don't even care if it IS the same cast. I just want them dubbed (most of the original cast is scattered to the winds anyway).
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

. Like I said, I enjoy well done dubs, but I dislike shitty one. It is also disappointing to read that some people give R1 companies lots of credit just for including a (good or bad) dub.

Is it strange to hear people give a company credit for releasing a show with just the Japanese track? Yes as they're doing it on the cheap to make a little money {little...}. So doing a dub should get them something more than flak.

In the subject of English dubs, I can understand indifference but it's, well, disappointing to hear people give RI companies crap for producing any dub, even before hearing it, while the Japanese track is still on the disk. Is it that hard to navigate a title menu? Complaining about double dipping for a bad dub, now that's valid but, look, you bought it for the Japanese track, just stick with what you got.

I like both, I want both and outside Aria and Robotech, I only have both.

As for Mariya, I'd say Genevieve Simmons should be fine but I'm no casting director {and considering Mariya's female voice sounds fake, they could rightfully go in a different direction completely}. Certainly few are as amazing as Kobayashi but Mariya is only, hmm, dual sexual. There's no voice modulation in mid sentence like some of her more extreme characters. Before Maria+Holic, there will be Nyankoi and that should be interesting.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well that cool but they need to dub Mayo Chiki!

Along with Maid-Sama!

Pretty please, Sentai?
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I'm still waiting on that Hidamari dub Sentai. Even if it sucks (Which it probably will because Sentai) I want a dub

With about half-a-dozen seasons, we've likely got quite a wait on that one.

Though when all of the new releases are blu but only one is getting the dub... scary implications if the "experiment" is accelerating this quickly.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
CaptainAvatar wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:

Along with Maid-Sama!

Pretty please, Sentai?

Mayo Chiki apparently sold very well and had to have addition print runs ordered, so I could definitely see that one getting dubbed in the future. At the very least, I could see them doing a subonly bluray. Maid-same is pretty similar to Special A, which was recently dubbed, so I could see te same happening there.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

1) It's a low-profile, non-new show, so it won't get a whole lot of time or budget.
2) Many of Sentai's dubs are more like hasty subtitle script readthroughs, which can mean lots of stumbling over untranslated honorifics and such.
3) The content doesn't fit Foster's tastes and sensibilities in the way that something like High School of the Dead would, meaning there's a better chance of "IDGAF, let's get this POS out the door" dubbing if Foster gets the job. And with Sentai, the odds of that are fairly good.
4) Some subtlety and balance is needed when dealing with a character acting as the other gender. Not only does Sentai have issues with dubbing "subtlety" in general, they've had at least some problems determining characters' gender in the first place, as seen with Lupus=Garous.

Is all this guaranteed to happen? No, but given Sentai's track record, it's not unreasonable or trolling to expect those outcomes. Such a contrast from 2008-era ADV, when even marginal shows like Venus Versus Virus could get reasonably decent dubs with actual ADR scripting and without huge, glaring mistakes.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

1) It's a low-profile, non-new show, so it won't get a whole lot of time or budget.
2) Many of Sentai's dubs are more like hasty subtitle script readthroughs, which can mean lots of stumbling over untranslated honorifics and such.
3) The content doesn't fit Foster's tastes and sensibilities in the way that something like High School of the Dead would, meaning there's a better chance of "IDGAF, let's get this POS out the door" dubbing if Foster gets the job. And with Sentai, the odds of that are fairly good.
4) Some subtlety and balance is needed when dealing with a character acting as the other gender. Not only does Sentai have issues with dubbing "subtlety" in general, they've had at least some problems determining characters' gender in the first place, as seen with Lupus=Garous.

Is all this guaranteed to happen? No, but given Sentai's track record, it's not unreasonable or trolling to expect those outcomes. Such a contrast from 2008-era ADV, when even marginal shows like Venus Versus Virus could get reasonably decent dubs with actual ADR scripting and without huge, glaring mistakes.

Steven Foster hasn't been nearly as active with Seraphim as in the past, at least over the last several months. Not to mention, this really doesn't look like a show he would end up with. It seems like something they would give to Chris Ayres or one of their other directors.

Also, the gender mistakes in Lous-Garous and Tears to Tiara were quite some time ago and there hasn't been anything like that recently.

This is going to be a difficult show to dub. I'm willing to bet that they will go with someone like Luci Christian or Monica Rial for the lead, who cannnot only pull off a young girl, but also a reasonable sounding teenage boy. Attempting two voice actors for the role would be possible, but it seems that would complicate and add more time to the dubbing process.
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:14 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I'm still waiting on that Hidamari dub Sentai. Even if it sucks (Which it probably will because Sentai) I want a dub

No......just no.......

angelmcazares wrote:
Good luck enjoying a shitty dub from Sentai. Some of you will not like this, but I rather read subtitles than having my ears bleed. I wish more people will condemn Sentai for producing rushed and unprofessional dubs instead of just eating them up, no matter how awful they are.

Agreed.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:56 am Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

No......just no.......

angelmcazares wrote:

Agreed.

Just because a show is dubbed doesn't mean you are forced to watch it. The subtitled track will still be available. Let's also not forget that for every dub you don't like, there are plenty of people that do enjoy it. We all have dubs that we dislike, but others like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4