• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Evangel-a-like

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
No mention of Bones' Eureka 7? That definatley takes more than a few ques from Eva (though I still think it was fun, and kind of unique in it's own way...if a little too long). Hell, the end is pretty much spoiler[an inverted Third Impact!]

If that ending is cribbed from anything, it's spoiler[Blood Music]. Whose author's name should sound familiar if you remember the secondary characters. (I was going to include a direct link for you to see, but that apparently disturbs the spoiler protection.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Wow. Are we thinking of the same show? I really don't think there are anymore "harem romantic comedy" aspects in Rahxephon than there are in Eva...

<snip>

And as for any comedy aspects...they were pretty light and few in number to begin with, and they were all dropped like a hot potato before the show was even 1/3 over. It then becomes even more serious/dark/dramatic than it was a the start

I'll second most of that. I do see a certain level of comedy, or at least absurdity, in what happens with most of the secondary characters near the end. spoiler[I picture the writers going: "Oh, no! Everyone except two or three people is completely irrelevant now! What do we do with them?" "I know, let's trap them on an island and write in GUNS FOR EVERYBODY!"

I'd probably have been less happy with this approach, except my favorite character is the one who wins the elimination round and gets to shoot the villain.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
treatment wrote:
yeah, Mike.

where's the Dai-Guard mention, old man?

one can't really talk about Eva-clones without the awesome Dai-Guard show...

Twisted Evil
I have to agree, Dai-Guard was pretty good (especially the dub, and that was from the bottom of the ADV barrel), and its sole purpose was to parody EVA. Without Eva, it was nothing.

What about the classic Martian Successor Nadesico? That definitely took shots at Eva, and IMO should be sub'd in place of Gasaraki. I don't see how Eva and Gasaraki are similar enough for Gasaraki to make the list, especially in when there are shows with far more obvious and essential links to EVA. For what is a parody without the original creations? For similarities, Gasaraki had mechs & a chick who was kinda/sorta like Rei. That's all I can see. IMO the mech's link between myth and machine was much different from Eva's. It made sense, which alone puts it worlds above Eva's link The chick being like Rei is negated by Yushiro being very little like Shinji. Very Happy

Someone who is a lot like Shinji, however, is Akito Tenkawa, main character of Nadesico. The article mentions how GAINAX decided to create the "anti-EVA" with Gurren Lagaan, and that was GL's merit to being on the list. Nadesico already had all the best "anti-EVA" elements that GL would have over a decade later; Nadesico has the immortal Gai Daigoji, aka a hilarious Kamina.

The "EVA aspects" of Dai-Guard and Martian Successor Nadesico in parody might not be as blatant as Dual!, but they're certainly there, and more present than in Gasaraki.

My $0.02.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote
jomy wrote:
Considering that I fell asleep halfway through the second manga volume of Evangelion, I definitely have no interest in seeing it, but I definitely loved Fafner and its beautiful backgrounds.
Aw, man, don't knock it just yet! The anime is actually quite different from the manga (which is still running at a sporadic rate), and can't really be held in comparison. In fact, even though I'm a lover of all things EVA, I must admit that the manga is only moderately okay in my book. Give the show a chance, and maybe you'll see why it's considered to be such a classic. Smile
DRWii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quote
I hope this doesn't sound nit-picky, but the "Evangelion" movies actually came out in 1997. As a big "Eva" fan, I felt obligated to point that out.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:04 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
What about the classic Martian Successor Nadesico?

Yeah, this is the one I was looking for in the article as well. It borrows from a lot of different things at once, but took a lot of parody influence from Eva.

Emerje
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:06 am Reply with quote
I was also a bit surprised that Nadesico wasn't mentioned. Otherwise, another great article, Mike. Really enjoy your column!
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
The constant references to Dai-Gard here mystify me, as I don't remember anything Eva-like about it. It was pretty much a modernized 70s robot show with beaurocratic hijinks mixed in. Still a good show though.
treatment

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
I reckon Mike didn't mention Nadesico coz it's not a clone of Eva at all. There's a superficial similarity between Rei and Ruri, but that's about it.

Both EVA and Nadesico were pretty much just peers.

EVA was a parody of the super-robot shows, while Nadesico was parodying the space-battleships/super-dimension shows, alongside the super-robot shows.

also,

Nadesico >>>>> Eva
Ruri >>>>> Rei.
Nadesico themesongs >>>>> Eva themesongs

Twisted Evil

Last edited by treatment on Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:20 am; edited 2 times in total
treatment

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:18 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
The constant references to Dai-Gard here mystify me, as I don't remember anything Eva-like about it. It was pretty much a modernized 70s robot show with beaurocratic hijinks mixed in. Still a good show though.

Dai-Guard most definitely blatantly took the Angels-designs concepts, which was, in turn, blatantly ripped off from the 70's super-robot shows by EVA.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:25 am Reply with quote
treatment wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

Dai-Guard most definitely blatantly took the Angels-designs concepts, which was, in turn, blatantly ripped off from the 70's super-robot shows by EVA.

Or they just skpped the middle-man and took them from the 70's super-robot shows...like they did with everything else in Dai-Guard

Though yeah, you've got a point...I'm just saying I don't think it's big enough to warrant being on Mike's list.
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and all of those other shows that are allegedly better than what's on TV these days.

if you talk about the majority of shows ... but come on, there are still masterpieces like Guardian of the Spirit or Denno Coil being created today.

Quote:
The other thing is Miharu, a pale, lavender-haired, waifish mecha pilot who doesn't talk much. Sound familiar?

Well, Rei pretty much became the "prototype" of this character type. Even in the most recent series these quiet characters still look similar to her very often.

Maybe you could do a column about Dark Magical Girl Shows (Utena, Princess Tutu, Tweeny Witches ....), since right now Madoka is very popular? Would be interesting to see the comparisons and learn about some other titles.[/quote]
dlian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:00 am Reply with quote
I always thought Gurren Lagann owed way more to Gunbuster and Gunbuster 2 than Evangelion.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:06 am Reply with quote
In terms of Brain Powered being played up against Evangelion by Tomino himself, could I get some clarification on where and how he referred to it in that way? I've heard everything from "He said it'd be better than Evangelion" to "It was in production without knowledge of Evangelion and not intended as a response to it". The only really linkable example I have is here, which sources an Animerica interview as a source on the latter. (And it's not like anything said there necessarily means he didn't say something like what Mike mentioned)

I don't really doubt that even if it was in planning without knowledge of Eva for a time, the way BP ultimately turned out was influenced by it (especially given how there's more people on a show than just the director and whatever he directly intends), but I just wish I could get it straight exactly what Tomino said.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:35 am Reply with quote
I've had what one could call a..."complicated" relationship with Evangelion, wavering between vehemently defending the series from a few of my friends who pretty much hated it, to agreeing with them myself, to settling somewhere in the middle. As it stands, I find the series very interesting from the standpoint of seeing what happens when you combine an attempt at mecha deconstruction with a severely-depressed director, but I can't say I enjoy it much as a series itself; there are just too many massive structural flaws. More than anything else, I sort of wish people would just stop talking about it at some point, which is why I was ready to grit my teeth when I read the sidebar. Razz Fortunately, Mike did his usual great job, so this wound up being a good read.

I've only seen two of the shows on the list as of now, though there are one or two more that I'd like to try at some point. I have to say that I personally found RahXephon to be a decidedly better work than Eva. It obviously owes a great stylistic debt to the latter, but I think BONES was able to refine the concept and produce something that works far better as something I can sit down and actually enjoy. Ayato comes across as a far more human protagonist than Shinji could ever hope to be, and his actions throughout the series generally match what one would expect of a person placed in those circumstances. The overall plot is significantly more coherent and structurally sound, too.

I'm glad that there are other people out there who view Gurren-Lagann as GAINAX essentially inverting Eva, as that crossed my mind the first time I saw it. (Depending on my mood, I might even call it GAINAX's apology for Eva. Razz) Simon really is the "anti-Shinji" in almost every sense...hell, about a third of the way through the series, he winds up going through a brief funk where he almost is Shinji, yet he manages to yank himself out of it and turn it into a Crowning Moment of Awesome. Beyond the spectacular animation and over-the-top manliness, one of the reasons I love the show so much is its fundamental belief in the human spirit, that people throwing themselves heart and soul into a task can move the heavens themselves if they strive hard enough...in that way, too, it's about as far from Shinji's worldview as one could possibly get. I do agree that it fundamentally benefits from having Eva a decade before it to serve as the original point to its counterpoint, though.

And as a few people mentioned, Eureka seveN definitely owes some influence to Eva as well, but much like Gurren-Lagann, I think it winds up acting like something of an inverse. Hell, its central message is basically that the power of true love can overcome anything. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5