• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kill la Kill (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:16 am Reply with quote
My heart went "doki doki" until some beeyotch yanked it out of my chest, injected it with ecstasy, and then shoved it back into place through my belly button with a corkscrew drill.

Imaishi-to-English translation, I enjoyed every damn second.

Well, except for the scene where Ryuuko was getting, er, "raped" by the uniform. I mean, she wasn't, but it was alluding to such a situation in my eyes. Kinda uncomfortable to listen to when it happens.

Last edited by Crisha on Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
David.Seth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Well, except for the scene where Ryuuko was getting, er, "raped" by the uniform. I mean, she wasn't, but it was alluding to such a situation in my eyes. Kinda uncomfortable to listen to when it happens.

I winced a little at that part too.

Otherwise a really fun and exciting first episode. I really like when an anime takes full advantage of the medium and just goes nuts with it. I know most people see Gurren Lagann and FLCL influences in this show, but all I see is the non-stop kinetic insanity of Dead Leaves. Hope Kill la Kill keeps the quality going.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

The problem with the action in this is that it was set up from the beginning that it is these uniforms that make them so strong, so someone with a lower uniform does not stand a chance because they are wearing a lower uniform. In the first episode alone we see her fight well, get beaten to a pulp, run away, and then get a uniform, and win like there was no question of her losing simply from a better uniform. In my opinion it take a bit away from setting up any drama as it quickly goes through all the steps without us really feeling anything. Mixed in with the art, it just feels retro and over the top that it is eye roll worthy.

But what I think it succeeded in was its humour, for that reason I felt that Mako was my favourite character, and she is actually pretty annoying in a way that will get on the nerves of other people. But I think Mako perfectly with her never shutting up and going at a crazy tangent. She kind of reminds me of a character from Teekyuu, when things just have a fraction of the crazy and awareness that she has it can be good.

To be honest I am not sold on this, it seems that I keep not getting what a lot of you love about these series like Eccentric Family. Do I have just have bad taste or something?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:14 am Reply with quote
Yes.
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
To be honest I am not sold on this, it seems that I keep not getting what a lot of you love about these series like Eccentric Family. Do I have just have bad taste or something?

Yeah you just have horrible taste.
Quote:
And here I thought that there was no way that the guy could write anything dumber than he did with Fourze. I was done before the first scene was over, and the longer it went on, the less I liked.

Wow,this is an amazing complaint.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:32 am Reply with quote
Thank you both for the support and compassion.
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:43 am Reply with quote
No problem,I am always there to help.
ishmael

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:50 am Reply with quote
I feel that is going to be a great show! Good first episode. Really over the top. Very Happy
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:02 am Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
willag wrote:

I winced a little at that part too.

Yeah, agree. I also found it rather distasteful that she is noticeably embarrassed to be wearing it during the fight. It's played for laughs but I still found it kinda gross and off-putting to see a strong, competent, female hero humiliated like that. A shame too since you could probably get away with silly fanservice outfits in a show this goofy otherwise.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:25 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I also found it rather distasteful that she is noticeably embarrassed to be wearing it during the fight. It's played for laughs but I still found it kinda gross and off-putting to see a strong, competent, female hero humiliated like that. A shame too since you could probably get away with silly fanservice outfits in a show this goofy otherwise.

Talk about difference of perception. As a female i actually found it refreshing that she was embarrassed to wear that outfit because i surely would be! I also liked it that the boxer was rather irritated that she would dress like that for a fight which is my reaction exactly when i see the barely dressed girls in shounen battle series...so yeah, i thought it was supposed to be ironic, not to shame the strong, female protagonist.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:32 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Thank you both for the support and compassion.

Don't mention it. I feel very sympathetic to those afflicted with crappy taste.

I kid, I kid! Look, I love both this and Eccentric Family but I fully understand how people could not like either. In fact, it took me a few eppies to fully warm up to Eccentric Family. With Kill la Kill I was kinda dubious at the very start ... it wasn't until the heroine was introduced that I got on the train.

These opinions aren't a matter of taste so much as a matter of sensibility. You can have great taste, but if the frenetic, over-the-top animation style of Kill la Kill doesn't mesh with your sensibilities, then you ain't gonna like it.
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:40 am Reply with quote
Using a word humiliated when describing that what Ryuuko Matoi is feeling when wearing that outfit is really too strong.She was certainly embarrassed but she wasn't degraded or humiliated.That scene was also very tongue-in-cheek,it basically felt like the creators were going "Look at how stupid and impractical these clothes look".I also didn't interpret that scene with sailor outfit as a rape joke.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:53 am Reply with quote
I'm in love. May her scissors pierce the heavens.
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Talk about difference of perception. As a female i actually found it refreshing that she was embarrassed to wear that outfit because i surely would be! I also liked it that the boxer was rather irritated that she would dress like that for a fight which is my reaction exactly when i see the barely dressed girls in shounen battle series...so yeah, i thought it was supposed to be ironic, not to shame the strong, female protagonist.

This is how I took it too. Fanservice for fanservice sake is just smut (not that I mind but meh) but fanservice for writing's sake is pretty intelligent.

As for the... rape (seriously? SERIOUSLY? yeeesh some people are so dramatic) I felt it really enhanced what Dusky was saying with the uniforms being the true strength (I thought that too). We have somebody who effortlessly creamed a crowd of non-geared-up guys. And yet she looses to this intelligent uniform. It just shows that the real power in this series is in the clothes.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
As for the... rape (seriously? SERIOUSLY? yeeesh some people are so dramatic)

Willag referred to it as a "rape" in quotes. And specifically acknowledged that she wasn't actually raped or anything like that. Nobody is being dramatic here except you.

danilo07 wrote:
She was certainly embarrassed but she wasn't degraded or humiliated.That scene was also very tongue-in-cheek,it basically felt like the creators were going "Look at how stupid and impractical these clothes look".

I acknowledged that it was played for laughs. Still don't like it. Intentionally or not, they're still taking a cool, badass female character and embarrassing her by forcing her into a skimpy outfit that she's uncomfortable wearing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 60