• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament-Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote
VOTING FOR:

Dragons of Heaven vs Dragons of Earth - X/1999

Brandon Heat/Beyond the Grave vs Harry MacDowell - Gungrave

Ayeka vs Ryoko - Tenchi

Rue/Princess Krahe vs Duck/Princess Tutu - Princess Tutu

Yuki Sohma vs Kyo Sohma - Fruits Basket
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:00 pm Reply with quote
RE: Lupin and Zenigata

I'm not so sure that Lupin and Zenigata qualify for this tournament as it has been laid out in the opening post. They pretty much are friends or depend on each other in some way.

The Naked Beast wrote:
While they may be on opposite sides of the law, Lupin and Zenigata will on occasion due to extenuating circumstance partner up to take down major criminals. Their cat-and-mouse chase is what makes them great "frenemies." Though this is a friendly rivalry the two have going, Zenigata is serious about putting Lupin behind bars.

Key wrote:
A strong sense of rivalry or strong adversarial feelings must be present, so please keep this in mind when considering whether or not to nominate marginal candidates!

I don't know how strong their adversarial feelings are considering they team up in about 90% of all the movies and specials. Also, for most of the TV series, Zenigata is hell-bent on catching Lupin, but at the same time, Lupin isn't very worried about it. He can just slip away at will so I don't know if this condition is met:
Key wrote:
Each pair of candidates must have an ongoing conflict which is clearly-acknowledged by both participants as a conflict; one-sided affairs do not count here.
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Changed my vote to For Lupin vs. Zenigata.

Last edited by Tris8 on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote
No one-sided rivalries? Aw, that's no fun. I guess I'm not suggesting Makoto and Jinnai then.

Although, if that's the case, I'm going to have to put a vote against Johan and Tenma. While Tenma certainly has enough animosity towards Johan, Johan has only creepy love and respect for the man who once saved his life.

Nominations
Miki Onimaru vs. Megumi Kannazuki, Ramen Fighter Miki pic
Type of Conflict: Competitive (Commercial and Personal) Rivalry
What It's All About: Miki and Megumi are the poster girls for their families' ramen shop and bakery, respectively, which are situated right across the street from each other. The girls have also known each other from childhood, and neither holds anything back to defeat the other in combat or business.
Why They Should Win: The bombastic battles between Miki and Megumi never fail to entertain. The ferocity of the two girls and the regularity with which they violently clash demonstrates an energy that few other adversaries can match. One flashback shows the lengths Megumi will go to gain an advantage over Miki, when she develops a combat style inspired by a school teacher throwing a piece of chalk at Miki, as this was the first time she'd ever seen her rival be hit (by someone other than Miki's mom).

Kazuki Muto vs. Koushaku "Papillon" Chouno, Buso Renkin pic
Type of Conflict: Enemies, Only one allowed to defeat you situation
What It's All About: After Kazuki is killed but brought back to life with alchemy, he joins another alchemic warrior in hunting down the homunculi attacking the students at his school. Chouno turns out to be the one responsible for the attacks, as he sees becoming a homunculus as the only solution to his crippling disease. Kazuki wants to both stop and save Chouno, but only succeeds at the former. Later, when a new band of homunculi revive Chouno as one of them, he repeatedly confronts Kazuki, regularly challenging his notion that anyone can be saved.
Why They Should Win: Kazuki is a rather stereotypical hot-blooded shonen hero who wants to protect everyone, but his failure to save Chouno drives him even harder than his desire to protect his sister before that. Chouno, after becoming a homunculus, displays a mix of contempt and respect for Kazuki's ideals; angry that his enemy didn't live up to those ideals, but going to extreme lengths for the chance to see them through. A twist near the end of the story shows how Kazuki's attention and concern for Chouno kept the homunculus from completely losing it and taking drastic measures.

Asuna Kagurazaka vs. Ayaka Yukihiro, Negima franchise pic
Type of Conflict: Frenemies (am I using that right?)
What It's All About: Asuna is a rough, lazy, dumb girl with a thing for older guys. Ayaka is the refined, intelligent class rep with something of a shotacon. Having such thoroughly opposite personalities can't help but produce conflict, and these two have been at each other's throats since the moment they met. Except that behind all the physical altercations and name calling, the two are actually best friends and know how to help each other when they need it most.
Why They Should Win: Asuna and Ayaka's rivalry in series has a 10 year history of brutal spontaneous fights. Perhaps more impressively, despite being in a harem comedy, few of their fights are provoked over competing for the affections of the male protagonist. Seeing the girls come together in difficult times also offers an added dimension to their relationship.

I've got a couple more, but not pictures for them yet. I assume, Key, you'd rather we do it all at once rather than post the write-up first and then add the pictures in later.

Seconding
Spike and Vicious, Cowboy Bebop
Yuki and Kyo, Fruits Basket
Naruto and Sasuke, Naruto
Rue and Duck, Princess Tutu
Juliet and Montague, Romeo X Juliet
Dragons of Heaven and Earth, X
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow, hope there's no limit on voting cause I've got a lot here.
VOTING FOR
Dragons of Heaven vs. Dragons of Earth X-TV
Ayeka vs. Ryoko Tenchi Muyo one of my fav pair of rivals
Hikaru Shindou vs. Akira Touya Hikaru no Go
Yugi Mutou vs. Seto Kaiba Yu-Gi-Oh as much as I don't like this franchise, they are good rivals.
Naruto Uzumaki vs. Sasuke Uchiha Naruto
Shinichi Kudo/Conan Edogawa vs. The Black Organization Detective Conan
Kaname Kuran vs. Zero Kiryu Vampire Knight
Princess Kraehe vs. Princess Tutu Princess Tutu
Johan vs. Tenma Monster
Yuki Sohma vs. Kyo Sohma Fruits Basket

Last edited by Tris8 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Guys n' gals, try to limit the pictures to official anime character designs or actual screenshots; no fan art or manga pics if possible.

Yeah, I really didn't want to use manga images for mine but a quick search didn't reveal any anime art with more than a couple characters (I think there was one with all the Dragons of Heaven but no corresponding one for the Dragons of Earth). I will do my best to find an image that will work better for our purposes, even if I have to put a whole bunch of headshots together!

Anyway, a I am going to gets some seconding in now.

Vote For
- Kaname Kuran vs Zero Kiryū
- Lelouch Lamperouge and Suzaku Kururugi (even though the write-up is terrible, I completely agree with nightjuan here)
- Rue / Princess Kraehe v Duck / Princess Tutu
- Yuki and Kyo Sohma

I definitely have a few more nominations that I want to make but don't quite have the time to do so now. Hopefully tomorrow. I'm actually much more excited about this tournament than I expected to be already (I knew it would be fun but now I'm really stoked for it all!).
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Thinking if the nominations I have in mind fit the criteria or not and possibly going to do the write-up , but in the meantime...

Voting for:

Ayeka vs Ryoko (Tenchi)

Brandon Heat/Beyond the Grave vs Harry MacDowell (Gungrave)

Juliet Capulet and the remnants of the Capulet family vs. Lord Montague (Romeo X Juliet)

Domon Kasshu vs. Master Asia (G.Gundam)
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote
Nominations:
Porco Rosso vs. Donald Curtis Porco Rosso pic
Type of Conflict: Love Rivals, pilot rivalry, professional
What It's All About: Porco Rosso and Donald Curtis are both amazing sea plane pilots, but Porco Rosso is a bounty hunter after pirates, and Donald Curtis is a hotshot american hired by the pirates. When Porco's engine fails mid-flight, Donald shoots him down and so to defend his reputation, Porco sets out for a re-match with Donald. They also are in love with the same woman, Gina, and both have their eyes on young Fio who becomes a bet in their sea plane battle.
Why They Should Win: Their rivalry can be pretty funny, but their amazing piloting skills shine through the comedy in their sea plane duel at the end. Their rivalry in love is also strong and relatable, especially at the end when they are duking it out when they run out of ammo.

Seconding
Iga Tsubagakure vs. Kouga Manjidani ninja clans, Basilisk
Goku vs. Vegeta Dragonball Z/GT/Kai

Last edited by Tris8 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
Voting for:

Porco Rosso v Donald Curtis, Porco Rosso
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:12 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
While Tenma certainly has enough animosity towards Johan, Johan has only creepy love and respect for the man who once saved his life.

In Johan's case, his actions throughout Monster are to push Tenma's buttons with his moral beliefs and drive him to a point where even someone as righteous like Tenma can be driven to commit an evil such as murder (i.e.: Tenma killing Johan) to make it so the good doctor's vow to value all lives becomes a hypocrisy from tarnishing that moral oath. Considering that element to Johan's character in being adversary to Dr. Tenma, I will press my support for seeing Dr. Tenma and Johan being involved in this tourney.

This is the last entrant I will nominate for tonight.

Light Yagami and L, Death Note pic
Type of Conflict: Ideological and Strategical Rivalry
What It's All About: Light Yagami has taken the alias of "Kira" in starting a murder spree using the mystical powers of the Death Note and famous detective L is tasked with tracking down the identity of Kira. L and Light match wits with one another throughout much of their series as L tries to find the vital clues he needs to prove that Light is Kira while Light tries to throw off any suspicion that would connect him to the murders he committed and uncover L's true name so that he can kill the detective.
Why They Should Win: L and Light's cat and mouse game throughout much of Death Note was the major hook to the series as the two are among anime's most intelligent characters making use of their smarts to try throwing off and ensnaring the other into their traps to accomplish their goals.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:28 am Reply with quote
Voting for:

Light Yagami v L, Death Note.

If I haven't voted for more it's because I don't know many of them. All the same, just about all of the nominations sound interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:37 am Reply with quote
Nominating:

Sekai Saionji vs. Kotonoha Katsura - School Days (pic)

Type of Conflict: Love Rivals

What It's All About: It all revolves around the main guy, Makoto Ito, whose in love with the school beauty, Kotonoha Katsura. He decides to seek the aid of his childhood friend, Sekai Saionji (who is also in love with him), to help win his 'love' over. However, things do not go smoothly for the three characters when the fight for love has begun.

Why They Should Win: Though Sekai and Kotonoha play the normal romance roles of childhood friend and long-time crush respectively, these two girls take 'love rivalry to a whole new level than what we usually see in anime. Both of these characters would go to any length to get the guy they love and when I say, “anything,” I mean it.
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:50 am Reply with quote
Voting For
The Dragons of Heaven vs The Dragons of Earth, X-TV
Maya Kitajima and Ayumi Himekawa Glass Mask
Sekai Saionji vs. Kotonoha Katsura - School Days
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:13 am Reply with quote
Nominating:

Ranma Saotome vs. Ryoga Hibiki
- Ranma 1/2

Type of Conflict: Personal Feud, Love Rivals

What It's All About: Of all the various rivalries in the anime, it's the oldest and most contested of Ranma's foes. On a personal level, Ryoga blames Ranma for his curse, and will do anything to avenge himself on Ranma. On a romantic level, Ryoga's smitten with Akane, and it drives him crazy that she's engaged to Ranma, and Ranma doesn't seem to care about Akane. Ranma gets into the rivalry whenever Ryoga learns a new technique or gets the upper hand, because Ranma can't ignore a challenge.

Why They Should Win: Even in the midst of a truce, Ranma and Ryoga will attack each other. Though Ranma often calls Ryoga a friend, Ranma's not above throwing his "friend" under the bus when it suits him. This pair's fights are some of the most brutal and spectacular of the whole series. Also, of Ranma's enemies, Ryoga is the one most often on or above Ranma's level. One gets the notion this rivalry could continue to the end of time.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:27 am Reply with quote
Nominating:

Oz Vessalius vs. Baskervilles Pandora Hearts pic
Type of Conflict: Enemies
What It's All About: During Oz’s coming of age ceremony, a mysterious group called Baskervilles send him to the Abyss. Rumour has it that it is a terrifying place and it is impossible escape from there. However, Oz manages to do it by contracting one of the most powerful chains, Alice/B-rabbit. The Baskervilles think of Oz as a threat and try to get rid of him on different occasions, because he is a key to get a hold of the Will of Abyss.
Why They Should Win: Their enmity adds to the drama of the series by creating some good, serious and nail-biting moments in this one of the best coming-of-age shounen dramas.

Voting for:
The Dragons of Heaven vs The Dragons of Earth, X-TV
Princess Kraehe vs. Princess Tutu Princess Tutu
Johan vs. Tenma Monster
Yuki Sohma vs. Kyo Sohma Fruits Basket
Saya and Diva Blood +
Kira Yamato and Athrun Zala Gundam Seed

Last edited by Aylinn on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 20