• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament-Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Voting for:
Full Moon (Kouyama Mitsuki) vs Wakamatsu Madoka, Full Moon wo Sagashite
Blast (Black Stones) vs Trapnest, Nana
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Those will be the last two, then, so. . .

Nominations and voting are now closed.

(But really? Picking them over Gatchaman vs. Galactor? Overlooking some of the other choices I can see, but that is going to be a huge omission.)

A Mystery, you must rework the second one to not include spoiler tags, whether by simply eliminating the tags or by rewording things so that you don't have to delve into the spoilers. I was pretty clear up front that I didn't want those used, as the spoiler tags won't transfer over to the .html files that I use for the Guide files. If you don't then I will just entirely delete the lines with the spoiler tags when I copy the entry.

Also, those of you who never posted proper pics need to do so within the next 24 hours or I will be bugging you directly about it. I'm going to have to replace about 20% of the pics as it is, so don't make more work for me.

I am going out for the evening in just a couple of minutes, so I will post the final candidate list in a few hours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, other than the two I nominated and aren't getting support (Conan/B.O. & Photon/Papacha) I'd pick these two to move on from Key's list.

Voting for:
Ban and Ginji vs. Akabane Kurodo (Dr. Jackal)
Science Ninja Team Gatchaman vs. Galactor

[edit]
whoops, I guess I was a little late, I started writing that before you announced the cut-off but spent too much time going over some old posts for a double check
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote
A brief notification that I again intend to run the mini-game, complete with fabulous prizes of up to $150. I will post the rules and details shortly after Key completes and posts the official bracket.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
(But really? Picking them over Gatchaman vs. Galactor? Overlooking some of the other choices I can see, but that is going to be a huge omission.)

Sorry, I've seen maybe two episodes of Gatchaman? Compared to NANA which is probably my favourite anime of all time, it was an easy choice.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:29 am Reply with quote
Well, as I said earlier, I don't have a clue who Gatchaman is. I can understand your sentiment that there are fiercer, better rivalries than Mitsuki vs Madoka Wink, but nobody seemed to vote for the other rivalries (I don't know why), so I tried to help out by giving more options.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote
The final participant list has been posted on the OP - or I thought it was the final list, anyway, but I just noticed that we have a little problem: although there were very few duplicate franchises this time around (we had 113 different ones represented), we have one that has four. The Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha franchise has four entries and I somehow missed that fact, so at least one has to be booted. For those familiar with the franchise, which of the following four should go:

Fate/Signum, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, 3
Nanoha/Vita, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, 3
Signum/Zest, Magical Girl LN StrikerS, 2
Nanoha/Fate, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, 2

I would just count Spastic Minnow's last votes for the replacement, but that would put two more in and I only want one. Which do you feel more strongly about, SM? Others knowledgeable about one or both of the rivalries in SM's last post are free to weigh in on the matter, too.

I will next have time to check this thread in about 14 hours. I would like to be able to make a final resolution at that time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
I'll vote for Science Ninja Team Gatchaman vs. Galactor. I wish I could vote for Conan vs. the Black Organization again, but I don't think Im allowed to vote twice =P.
Raftina

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote
Ban and Ginji v. Dr. Jackle, Getbackers original writeup.

Gatchaman v. Galactor, Gatchaman original writeup.

From the way I see it, Gatchaman is just "heroes v. villains." It's a waste of space. If you want to pay homage to old series, at least go for a rivalry that's not so generic and bland--the Yamato crew v. Desslok, Yamato would be a good pick. But it's too late, so I'll content myself with noting that the Getbackers entry has a much better rival dynamic.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:35 am Reply with quote
If I rescind my vote from Astro Boy/Atlas/Blue Knight could we include both? I figure that match has been up since the third page and I was the only one who halfheartedly seconded it, it can't be too strong of a match.

If you insist on one, then I'd choose Gatchaman/ Galactor
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
If I rescind my vote from Astro Boy/Atlas/Blue Knight could we include both? I figure that match has been up since the third page and I was the only one who halfheartedly seconded it, it can't be too strong of a match.

If you insist on one, then I'd choose Gatchaman/ Galactor

If you think both of those are clearly better choices than Astro Boy/Atlas, then I'll allow it.

That still doesn't solve the Nanoha problem, though. I have two people listed - Raftina and Dorcas_Aurelia - who have each voted for a different combination of three of them, so I can't even use common support as a tiebreaker. I need advice on this within the next few hours or I'm just going to dump one of the two-voters based on my read of their Guide entries.
Raftina

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I'll just withdraw my vote/support for Signum v. Zest. It would be ridiculous to have it make the roster over Nanoha v. Fate. And StrikerS and all the non-loli Nanoha titles need to burn.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed a couple typos in the final list:

Makoto/Katsuhiko Jinnai, El Hazard. Jinnai with a J
Togame/Hitei, Katanagatari. Last letter of Togame is an E, not an I. There's a second I in Hitei.
Also, the Fate/Signum and Nanoha/Vita match-ups should be Nanoha A's, not just Nanoha.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
The OP now has the final, updated participant list, complete with corrected typos and the shuffling described in the above few posts. Also present this time is a link to a spreadsheet which lists all of the candidates with hyperlinks to the post in this thread which introduced said candidates. That should help some when it comes to filling out minigame entries.

And speaking of that, I have had a situation come up which may or may not require me to be out of town for the weekend on very short notice. If that doesn't happen then I should have the bracket set up and posted sometime on Saturday; in that case we'll be looking at a projected start time of Tuesday the 12th. If I do have to be gone then both dates will be back up a few days.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Key, the spreadsheet link is giving a "Page Not Found" notice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 20