• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Revolutionary War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mabber36

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Rather, it overlays financial terms on a Yu-Gi-Oh!-like battle show that is presumably aimed at adults.

that's something I heard a troll say
Dynamic A

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
Quote:
I've even heard the anime is better than the manga, in part because of Ikuhara's direction.

I believe it. I read the first volume of the manga, and it didn't impress me much. But I hear the anime is great. I'm definitely gonna check out Utena sometime.

But was the manga based on the anime, or was the anime based on the manga? I've heard two different sides to this, can anyone clear this up?

Yes. Smile

Basically, Ikuhara the director came up with the concept along with Saito the manga-ka, then from the same base they both went off in slightly different directions.

-DA
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Utena Utena Utena, everyone seems to like it. Damn it guys, you're going to actually make me buy it. Curse you and your enthusiasm! Anime hyper
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I already ordered Revolutionary Girl Utena and I've begun watching it. I'm far from enraptured by it after having watched four episodes, but there's plenty left and I an interested in knowing where it will go as well as intrigued by its oddity. I even like the fact that it's a little old and rough. It might be just that it has a nostalgic familiarity, but something about the rougher, less perfected look of old animation is interesting and appealing to me. The English version isn't very good; I like Rachael Lillis as the voice for Utena, but she seems poorly directed, as do the rest, whether well cast or not. It's a shame that there isn't a new one, but I'm not surprised. A new one might well have been uneconomical.

I do love the look of the set. The box that it comes in is very stately and stylish. I especially love that the series description and features list on the back can be removed to reveal a second, blue graphic to complement the red one on the other side.

The box that I have, lamentably, is slightly deformed, so it only stands upright when upside-down, but I can live that. I might even be able to correct it eventually.

Oh, and the student council solemnly intones a reference to Herman Hesse's Demian at the beginning of their meetings. That's neat.

C – Control – The Money and Soul of Possibility is the only show from this season that seems like it might still be worth investigating after all is said and done, except, of course, for Battle Girls: Time Paradox, to which all others pale in comparison. I was deterred by reading descriptions of it as a fighting series, but if it somehow manages to be eccentric and clever nonetheless, then I'm intrigued again. If nothing else, I'm relieved to hear of a show that allows us to discuss, "assets," as something other than an ironic euphemism.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:08 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There is no new dub on this set, which is a shame. The CPM dub is nigh-on-unwatchable.

There wouldn't be, since it's Right Stuf and they long stopped dubbing their own stuff since The Third. In my opinion, the dub is vastly improved in the film version.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Erin hates Koihime Musou.

All is well with the world.

In other news...what's with this recent surge of nearly manga-exclusive shelves? =_=; Not to sound like a dick, but I never had good social experiences with hardcore manga girls... So seeing shelves like that scares me. Not that Stig's a scary manga fangirl... But still.
rti9

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Isn't the Revolutionary Girl Utena DVD Set 1 review with the wrong color on its side?
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Time will tell if this series dissolves into a lot of nonsense or if it wraps up with some healthy lessons on the economy,

It seems a fairly safe bet that there is little chance of the latter. On the plus-side, last week finally started to give of the scent of an over-arching plot. Hopefully this omen doesn't pass and the show goes for 20-something episodes, because 7 of 12/13 is hella-late for something to finally start happening.

(So is [C] shelf-life colored, or Utena stream-worthy?)

And the greatest shame of Koihime Musō, aside from seeming like an Ikki-Tousen rip-off... no dub, yet.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Erin hates Koihime Musou.

All is well with the world.

But I almost liked it...! Remember that time I gave Sekirei a Rental? I'll also have you know I watched the entirety of Onigai Twins, and I wasn't even getting paid to do so. You don't know everything about me, Mr. Casey.

mabber36 wrote:
Quote:
Rather, it overlays financial terms on a Yu-Gi-Oh!-like battle show that is presumably aimed at adults.

that's something I heard a troll say

But I like YuGiOh.... : Sad

neocloud9 wrote:
Oh, you'll be at AWA? I look forward to seeing you there! Anime catgrin

Unless this wedding reception-like party bankrupts me...

vashfanatic wrote:
Also, you will learn about the Car that they talk about in the booklet. Hoo boy, the Car...

Like the car from the movie...? I love the Utena movie.

Agent355 wrote:
I remember when you were tweeting about unusual manga topics in order to accumulate a myriad of titles for a possible panel. I'm glad you're panel idea is a-go, because it's such a cool topic!

I've given that panel at almost a dozen conventions over the last four years, just not Otakon or AWA yet. There is a whole section on golf manga! I hope you can see the panel sometime.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote
It sounds like a fun panel!

Golf is manga-like in real life. There is so little action, you might as well be observing it...panel...by...panel Wink

(Does anyone remember the '90's cartoon "Eek! The Cat"? The only way to kill super!fleas was by watching golf: "Golf so boring, fleas dying..." LOL)

So, Erin, what's the strangest manga you've encountered? (I've heard of a reincarnation-of-Albert-Einstien manga, but it's actually not that *strange* when you consider that it was written by Saki Hiwatari, of Please Save My Earth fame. Reincarnation is sort of her thing. "Saint Young Men," however, now that's weird! Now if Muhammad moved into the Tokyo apartment of Jesus and Buddha, there'd finally be some manga about Islam. Doubt it'd be very accurate, though.).
4nBlue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Notice I said I enjoyed the buxom character design; this show could do without the half-dozen flat-chested under-age young ladies. I suspect one reason this isn't hentai is because so many young looking characters would make this series contraband in several countries.

Actually Koihime Musou(NSFW) can be bought from MangaGamer with uncensored sex scenes featuring even the younger cast.

I wouldn't even be surprised if they plan to sell its boxed copies during Anime Expo (being their best selling property at the moment and rather well known).
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:21 am Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:
Quote:
Notice I said I enjoyed the buxom character design; this show could do without the half-dozen flat-chested under-age young ladies. I suspect one reason this isn't hentai is because so many young looking characters would make this series contraband in several countries.

Actually Koihime Musou(NSFW) can be bought from MangaGamer with uncensored sex scenes featuring even the younger cast.

I wouldn't even be surprised if they plan to sell its boxed copies during Anime Expo (being their best selling property at the moment and rather well known).

I wonder how close they are to that magic number of 2000 units sold. Probably not very, but one can always hope the voices will get restored.

As for the anime, I think perishable is a proper rating for it, although I've never taken perishable to mean that it doesn't belong on my shelves. Because it's on em. Just isn't something I'm likely to recommend to anyone.

John Casey wrote:
In other news...what's with this recent surge of nearly manga-exclusive shelves? =_=; Not to sound like a dick, but I never had good social experiences with hardcore manga girls... So seeing shelves like that scares me. Not that Stig's a scary manga fangirl... But still.

Well, at least this has some DVDs and a few figures mixed in. I think shelves of only one medium, whether they're DVDs or manga, are kind of dull. I like some variety, so pictures of DVDs, manga, and figures all together is always preferable. Of course, massive collections of any kind are always great to see. Like that one person who had the entire attic filled with them. Wish I could remember which Shelf Life that was featured in.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:15 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Also, you will learn about the Car that they talk about in the booklet. Hoo boy, the Car...

Like the car from the movie...? I love the Utena movie.

No, this is a different Car. You'll know it when you see it.
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:38 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

What'cho talking 'bout, Willis? I'll have you know it's about half and half on the anime/manga scales. (They even let me indulge my MST fandom on this site, despite that not even being Japanese.)
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:30 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

I love shelves like that! I'm probably one of those hardcore manga girls you're talking about...although I don't think it's THAT bad interacting socially with me, well I'd like to think it isn't THAT bad.

I'm so jealous of those shelves! For one, KAZAN!!!! I borrowed volumes of that from the library and they had all of the volumes except for two of em, one being the final volume. I've been dying to know what happens in the end for YEARS now! Anyone (...Stig...?) care to summarise what happens for me, pleeeezzzzeee? =3

From memory, Koihime Musou was the anime where stuff got censored with the ink sprays right? The censoring actually made the anime sorta look cool...

I need to catch up on C. I think I stopped after episode 4 or so. One reason being my internet not being able to handle the CG fight scenes, makes for painful watching. It wouldn't feel right to watch it fansubbed when Siren is going out of their way to actually simulcast something for Australia (plus I paid for premium...even if it's no use to me...damn internet).

All the hype over Utena might've influenced me to actually give it a try but somewhere somehow I spoiled myself on the ending and now can't really be bothered...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4