• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Oh My Goddess vs. Ah My Goddess encyclopedia listing

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Misopup

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
The link for the anime (vs. the manga) "Oh My Goddess" defaults to the entry for "Ah My Goddess".
OMG is an entirely different, earlier work, released in the US by AnimEigo.
Please correct this.
Thanks!
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:22 pm Reply with quote
There are two completely separate anime releases that come up on a search for "Oh My Goddess"

In the search results, they come up as Oh My Goddess! (OAV) (#53) and Oh! My Goddess (TV) (#3639).

The former is the "Oh My Goddess!" OAV series released by AnimEigo in the 1990s. The encyclopedia page has the title "Oh My Goddess!" as the main title ("Ah! My Goddess!" is an alternate), which matches the titles shown on the covers of the releases.

The latter is the "Ah! My Goddess" TV series released by FUNimation in 2005. The encyclopedia page has the title "Ah! My Goddess" as the main title ("Oh! My Goddess" is an alternate), which also matches the titles shown on the covers of the releases.

I'm not sure what problems are here? Both will come up on search (as will other Ah! My Goddess anime), and both are correctly labelled based on their official US titles on the encyclopedia pages. The only thing I can see, would be to make it so that the TV series doesn't list as "Oh! My Goddess" on searches, although both are clearly labelled as OAV and TV, to mark their difference.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:04 am Reply with quote
Misopup wrote:
OMG is an entirely different, earlier work, released in the US by AnimEigo.

And you thought we'd be unaware of that? Talk about underestimation. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Dessa wrote:
I'm not sure what problems are here?

I assume the thread starter were talking about the alphabetical list:

@Misopup: Please refer to the last line of the legend at the bottom of the alphabetical list page:

Quote:
Legend:
the closer to this color, the more information we have
the closer to this color, the less information we have
licensed anime are in bold
alternative titles are in italic
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1