• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Theater List [2006-07-25]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kouji

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:49 pm Reply with quote
For those complaining about the poor locations of the FMA movie, you have to remember that this is FMA we're talking about here. Yes, FMA is one of Adult Swim's most popular anime series, but it's not as huge as something like oh, say Studio Ghibli films. And Funi is going to release it on DVD later that month anyway, so why should they go out of their way to play the movie in more larger cities just for the sake of an exteremly small niche market when more people are just going to buy the DVD later that same month? I'm definetly going to buy the FMA movie on DVD as soon as I can. I'm glad I won't have to wait long for its release. I've been dying to see this movie since I've finished the TV series and FMA is my current favorite anime. It would be nice to be able to see it in theaters and I suppose I could go to any of the Tennessee locations, but those locations are still too ridicilously far away for me to go to just to see a cartoon movie in theaters, so I'll definetly be waiting for the DVD. Besides, I'm not a big fan of the FMA dub to begin with and I wouldn't want to have the experience ruined by a mediocre dub.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Besides, I'm not a big fan of the FMA dub to begin with and I wouldn't want to have the experience ruined by a mediocre dub.

I don't like the dub either. I watched the whole series and movie, which was amazing, subtitled. But to me, it's about the experience of going to see the conclusion to one of your favorite series in the theatres. You have to admit that going to see an anime movie in the theatres would be pretty sweet and exciting. Even though I plan on going to the movie, I still plan on buying the DVD.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:16 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
You have to admit that going to see an anime movie in the theatres would be pretty sweet and exciting. Even though I plan on going to the movie, I still plan on buying the DVD.

See that how I feel about the movie, I just want the chance to see the movie in theaters. I had the chance to see the movie at AX but I didn't have great seats......But I am all about the experience and the atmosphere of the movies.

SharinganEyes92 wrote:
I don't like the dub either. I watched the whole series and movie, which was amazing, subtitled.

Oh well to each his/her own.....I personally like the dub a lot but I am also a huge fan of sub as well. I originally watch the series sub and I am now watchin it all dub, still one of my favorites.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:12 pm Reply with quote
That list over covers what, The Eastern Seaboard and the South. Where the heck are the locations in predominately Asians areas like the West Coast and Hawaii? Guarentee they could recoup the cost easily in California and Hawaii alone!!
Kouji

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Out of random curiosity what is Funi rating the FMA movie in theaters, anyway? Is it going to be rated PG or PG13?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Out of random curiosity what is Funi rating the FMA movie in theaters, anyway? Is it going to be rated PG or PG13?

I assume PG13. Fullmetal Alchemist was a generally "teenage" show. Plus, PG would make it seem a little child-friendly, and I don't think that it really is. You can look at the series itself for that answer. The mature themes and violence made it a more mature show than that worthy of a PG rating for the movie.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:10 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
That list over covers what, The Eastern Seaboard and the South. Where the heck are the locations in predominately Asians areas like the West Coast and Hawaii? Guarentee they could recoup the cost easily in California and Hawaii alone!!

I am with ya, I am not Asian but I certanly am from California where there is a large (AKA the second largest market in the US!) anime fan base located in California. So I have to ask what gives?
FMAFan16

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:16 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

They have a location now listed in L.A. now. I see they also have some National Amusements theaters listed now, that's good because they are in more areas.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I'd imagine that "what gives" is that FUNi's having a harder time locating theatres interested in playing the film in those areas than it has had with those theatres/chains that have already been announced.

It's probably a lot harder for a small, independent distributor to find screens, even on the arthouse circuit, in summer, especially now that most of the early "summer" (May/June) wide releases are out of the first-run theatre chains and are hitting the dollar theatres and those arthouses that also show second-run mainstream films.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I'd imagine that "what gives" is that FUNi's having a harder time locating theatres interested in playing the film in those areas than it has had with those theatres/chains that have already been announced.

It's probably a lot harder for a small, independent distributor to find screens, even on the arthouse circuit, in summer, especially now that most of the early "summer" (May/June) wide releases are out of the first-run theatre chains and are hitting the dollar theatres and those arthouses that also show second-run mainstream films.

Why not Film Festivals? Conventions? Heck, i'm sure certain Arthouses would love to get more traffic from "the younger crowd" and dispel the myths that Art Houses and Film Festivals "Are for "rich snobs," intellectuals, and hippies."
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:35 pm Reply with quote
The movie played at Anime Expo, so there's your conventions.

I pushed for it to play at Austin Film Festival last year but it didn't take.

There are 2 upcoming festivals in Austin, TX it would play great at this year. Austin Film Festival, and Fantastic Fest. Both are in October. Cowboy Bebop: The Movie played at AFF in 2002. It was so popular that a second screening was added later in the week.

FMA which has had similar exposure and ratings I feel could do similar business at those festivals.

Also, all these small little towns, I would assume it'd be easier getting this movie shown in the big cities rather than these small cities.

I'm still not seeing any Houston listings for this movie. C'mon Funimation! The Houston voice actors and their families need to see it in theatres too!

DRAFTHOUSE HOUSTON!
sirkozmo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
hikaru393 wrote:
they took the list down to add more theaters i can't wait to go see it.

Ah, so that's what's up. I was wondering if maybe ANN jumped the gun.

(Were any Maryland cities on the list, out of curiosity? I mean, I doubt it, but it's worth asking.)

Nothing in MD that I saw. I'm from MD too. I think I saw two theatres in VA and they're about an hour and a half from where I live. So that might be an option for you if you're not too far from the MD/DC border.......
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MdnghtShdw15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I've never been to see an anime movie in theatres before. Can anyone tell me if this is the sort of thing you buy tickets in advance for? Due to the exclisivity of the theatres and the fact their only showing the movie three times I am kind of worried the showings may sell out fast.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:28 pm Reply with quote
MdnghtShdw15 wrote:
I've never been to see an anime movie in theatres before. Can anyone tell me if this is the sort of thing you buy tickets in advance for? Due to the exclisivity of the theatres and the fact their only showing the movie three times I am kind of worried the showings may sell out fast.

It probably depends on the area that you live and how popular anime is in that region. Since there will be three showings, I'm assuming that the Friday and Saturday night showings will be the most popular, and probably the Saturday afternoon showing less crowded. But that's just a guess, of course.

I'm not sure about buying tickets ahead of time, since the most advanced purchase I've ever made was about 4 hours and I went to the theatre to buy them.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about DE, but Philadelphia has one as of the last time I checked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4