• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gankutsuou's art

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:52 pm Reply with quote
It's funny that people that usually get distracted by the art will fall in love with the show by the end of the series. They will also adapt to it and even praise it for its uniqueness and abstract feel. Simply put, there isn't a lot of anime that has those texual visual style. You probably need to watch it on DVD on a nice hdtv for the best visual experience though.
epixeltwin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, words fail me when trying to describe Gankutsuou.

1) the Drama. The god-damned DRAMA. It's awesome. I really like how they interpreted this classic, the love, hate revenge theme is really good, and they added elements of friendship and death in it, which just made the story even better.

2) The character designs, their developement and relationships. It's well done and fleshed-out. Also, I think you like romance, and the romance in Gankutsuou is highly captivating.

3) It's a powerful literary classic, made even better. By a powerful animation studio (ok, it's not your beloved KyoAni but you gotta admit that Gonzo has teh 1337 art.)

4) The CGI is good, the animation is good, the 2d drawings were also good IIRC. Myself, I just LOVED those static cels, I think they were just flashy, cool, artful, and above all else, they were ORIGINAL.

and YEAH, Haydee's dress does rock.

So go ahead and enjoy (even though the fact that an ignorant and unrefined guy such as me liked it may scare you Surprised )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2