• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Beyond the Boundary (Kyoukai no Kanata) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
The fight animation was pretty awesome. Too bad that only earned her 1000 yen. That is a nice mom you have there Akihito.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote
For some reason i'd expected Hiromi spoiler[to be the silent stoic type, but he turned out to be entirely different which makes me like him even better. Smile]

I really like the humour, i'm sure it'll turn into full-blown drama mode later on, but for now i'm enjoying the slice of life-ish (with occasional action) atmosphere.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
This episode was directed by Yasuhiro Takemoto who is probably the best and most atypical KyoAni director.I think he really added a lot to action scenes this week,for example I have noticed how shaky camera was used this episode,this of course happened due to the involvement of Yasuhiro Takemoto.He used the same technique during that famous stabbing scene in Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.I like how it was used there and I like how it was used here,it didn't feel like a cheap gimmick(the way Crime Edge uses it) and it had an actual purpose,that purpose was to portray how this situation is out of control and also to bring dynamism to it.What is also noticeable is the lack of exposition.That youmu at the beginning of episode planned a trap for Mirai,but the director merely showed that trap,he didn't explain it verbally since the entire trap was clearly explained with his shots.Being a big fan of shonen manga,I was taken back by that scene,my mind went "Okay where is the dude that stands around and explains things for me?". You can also find some great editing here ,that is again pretty recognizable Yasuhiro Takemoto element.For example there was one close-up showing us Mirai's face and making us see how she is actually very scared to attack that youmu,that shot was immediately exchanged with new one showing us how Mirai is aggressively attacking.Those shots are put together in such way that they tell us about a completely new fact that wasn't established in any of those previous shots,that is new fact is that Mirai is overcoming her fear ,and how she is doing fairly well at that .Really smart piece of editing.
That said the content of the show is just shitty.Again crappy dialogue that tries hard to be witty,stereotypical characters that are very annoying,and completely uninteresting setting.I just hope we get to see more action scenes.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That said the content of the show is just shitty.Again crappy dialogue that tries hard to be witty,stereotypical characters that are very annoying,and completely uninteresting setting.

While I will concede that certainly this isn't the most ground breaking of narrative structure, the subjective interpretation that the content is "shitty and uninteresting" and looking forward only to the fight scenes means that as a viewer you evidently are missing out on the narrative set up that gives meaning to the combat scenes and in the long run will only be dissatisfied regardless of what developments do or do not occur.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While I will concede that certainly this isn't the most ground breaking of narrative structure, the subjective interpretation that the content is "shitty and uninteresting" and looking forward only to the fight scenes means that as a viewer you evidently are missing out on the narrative set up that gives meaning to the combat scenes and in the long run will only be dissatisfied regardless of what developments do or do not occur.

Can you please explain how you got to that conclusion from premise?I see it like this ,if the story improves then the action scenes themselves will be much more enjoyable then they are now.My current experience with Beyond the Boundary is like watching MAD and simply marveling at technical brilliance of the series.However animation is a way to tell story,which means that is meant to work in context not the other way around.If I was merely interested in action scenes then I would have just waited for somebody to post compilation of those scenes,but I still hope that the story can improve and make these scenes a real emotional experience.
However from what I have seen,yeah I dont have much confidence that the series will improve.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I agree with it having nothing but animation as a positive point.
Like I said before.

Content wise it's outright boring, fanservice wise it's revolting, I'd go as far as pure otaku mockery.

Kyoani should stick to what they are good at. Series for females. At least they seem to care about them.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Heinzendegger wrote:
fanservice wise it's revolting.

Err, what are you trying to say here? Go further in depth. Is it because it doesn't have Monogatari-level of naked girls who all love the MC? Or is it just the very low level of fanservice itself that you find revolting?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

An interesting fight scene towards the beginning, but for me it all seems to be about the characters, finding out about them and what makes them tick. That Mirai was spoiler[afraid of doing the final blow, not cause collateral damage, and hurting other people around her]. She was eventually able to force herself to do it, and Akihito seems to be breaking her armour. But we also learned that shespoiler[ killed someone likely by accident], and Akihito also seems to spoiler[have some trauma].

While we had Youmu established earlier as monsters, we also had it branched out that they can spoiler[be more humane, which can explain Akihito's heritage]. And I really liked the scene of his spoiler[mother, very funny, and the flow that she isn't the Youmu] parent was perfect, KyoAni can do some wonderful adults. Although personally I found Ayaka cute.

And the comment of saying that it is revolting fanservice wise, I actually find that a little offensive. Really there has been hardly any focus on fanservice at all. Perhaps you could say moe as that seems to be what KyoAni excel at, but it has been mostly light. Or maybe even that guy touching Akihito, kind of makes me think a bit Yui and Azusa.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I kind of liked this episode better. It didn't feel like Mirai was this bundle of contradicting character traits as she was in the first episode. I'm not sure I bought into the whole whole youmu explanation, as it felt too easy and pat. Still not blown away by dialogue or how the progression of story is going. It looks nice and the show may still end up being fun without it doing anything great, but its still to early to tell. I'm willing to give it a few more episodes.

DuskyPredator wrote:
And the comment of saying that it is revolting fanservice wise, I actually find that a little offensive. Really there has been hardly any focus on fanservice at all. Perhaps you could say moe as that seems to be what KyoAni excel at, but it has been mostly light. Or maybe even that guy touching Akihito, kind of makes me think a bit Yui and Azusa.
I could be wrong but I took his previous comment to mean he was disappointed that it wasn't catering to his taste with more otaku fanservice.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
After episode 1 I was disinclined to continue following this series. Episode 2 has changed my mind, at least for now.

Oh, it's not because I found episode 2 spectacular; some of the things that it was trying to set up in episode 1 just gelled better here. The efforts to make Mirai both bad-ass and moe are also starting to work a little better for me. The series definitely still has what I consider to be significant flaws, but I am intrigued enough by what it's doing to continue watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:12 am Reply with quote
I'm finding this series to be pretty enjoyable so far and haven't seen anything in it that I consider a major flaw. Maybe that's only because I haven't seen too many shows of this genre.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:24 am Reply with quote
My comment's meaning was simple.
By "otaku mockery" I mean that they did the little fanservice they did with old women, yet nothing of the smaller/school girls.
Yes, Kyoani found themselves a new audience and there are many non-otaku fans of their works to begin with. But that's still a harsh way to treat their loyal otaku fans.
Actually, I'm wondering how long can they stay loyal.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:21 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I'm finding this series to be pretty enjoyable so far and haven't seen anything in it that I consider a major flaw. Maybe that's only because I haven't seen too many shows of this genre.

Well, I have and I can tell you this show is freaking great. I shake my head at the Great Subjectivity Field that is obviously in play with people who somehow are finding this show majorly flawed in a story and character sense. Christ, what does a show have to do to be acknowledged as a cut above the usual? Truly bizarre.

And Heinzendegger, you are really becoming a creepy soap-boxer. Virtually every post of yours that I see is some lament about the lack of loli fanservice in a show. Yeah, we get it - you like little girls. Can you concede that you've established that effed up point and move onto some other discussion?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:52 am Reply with quote
I like loli as much as anyone, but if you can't enjoy the older cuties in here then there is something wrong with you. And they are not "old".

To look at the trend I can think of three in Chuunibyou, which were Touka, the Mother, and their teacher and [url]Amakata[/url] from Free. KyoAni have something to work with other than their recent success with BL, and it is arguably a lot more healthier. In the sense than what they can do with something like Mikuru.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, I have and I can tell you this show is freaking great. I shake my head at the Great Subjectivity Field that is obviously in play with people who somehow are finding this show majorly flawed in a story and character sense. Christ, what does a show have to do to be acknowledged as a cut above the usual? Truly bizarre.

Perhaps they should stop reusing the same manzai schtick all of the time(we get it the dude is pervert and the chick is clumsy). It wasn't funny first time and it isnt funny for 100th time.It makes me feel like show is very lazy,at least in Bakemonogatari when Senjougahara repeats her schtick with Araragi,she is constantly making new accusations so the entire formula doesn't feel tired.
There is another problem with this series that was mentioned before,which is that show quite frequently jumps from dead serious action to silly and lighthearted comedy.I remember reading an interview with Yoji Enokido(writer of Star Driver) when he was asked question that said something like"Why did you invent Zero Time?". His basic answer was that it would seem unnatural to him if characters were fighting for their lives one moment and in the other they would be just hanging around and having fun.That is precisely what the case is with BtB,though Mirai is fighting a really dangerous monster that she is afraid of,in the middle of a fight she has her little silly comic moment(when she has trouble getting over that fence). Not only does this seem completely unnatural,but it also reduces any tension to its bare minimum making me feel very indifferent to what is going on.This problem extends to every character,they all seem to have traumatic pasts and their own job is to kill evil monsters,but its like they are completely unaffected by that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 21