• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gedo Senki Panned by Online Critics

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Help_me_Im_a_n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:24 am Reply with quote
It's the end of the world!

Now there is a legitimate reason for why 'all anime sucks'

If a Ghibli movie can't prove any longer what anime is supposed to be, then I don't know what can.

By the way the other anime that got the 4.7 is a long-running property that was originally a novel. A few living in Japan who watched it thought it was really good.
mufurc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:32 am Reply with quote
Help_me_Im_a_n00b wrote:
If a Ghibli movie can't prove any longer what anime is supposed to be, then I don't know what can.

Bones, at least for me. Except for the FMA movie which was like a bad fanfic, none of their shows was less than satisfactory so far (hell, I even liked Juuousei with its fecked up ending that completely missed the point of the story), and their best shows are among the gems of anime.
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:25 am Reply with quote
I personally thought Tales of Eathsea looked boring. I seriously doubt it could be as bad as Only Yesterday. That was the most horrid movie ever. I love Ghibli though. I doubt they'll let me down.
Help_me_Im_a_n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:47 am Reply with quote
Nope, Bones are like other animation studios that make anime series. I like Bones since they made RahXephon, Kurau, and Scrapped Princess, but recently just make fangirl fodder. It's like saying KyoAni is the best studio, and while its very good, its distinctly too-otaku-ish to be considered the bridging studio to the mainstream.

Hate to say it, but it seems like Gonzo is the one in the closest position.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:02 am Reply with quote
Wow.

Failure to launch.

Dan42, if your still in Tokyo please go see this and give an opinion about it. If you are broke I will send you money. If your not broke, work in a two hour slot in your schedule.

Super Ska Master wrote:
I personally thought Tales of Eathsea looked boring. I seriously doubt it could be as bad as Only Yesterday. That was the most horrid movie ever. I love Ghibli though. I doubt they'll let me down.
Your kidding right. Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:18 am Reply with quote
Bulls***. I saw a preview for this when I went to see Deathnote and I thought it was great. There's no way this is going to be terrible.
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:19 am Reply with quote
This is disappointing news, and I certainly hope the movie turns out better than these early ratings. Honestly the trailer for the movie did look boring as hell (albeit pretty), and I'm currently about halfway through reading "The Farthest Shore," (the Earthsea book the movie is apparently based on) and so far I haven't really seen any good material to make a movie off of.

I disagree with Super Ska Master though, I really enjoyed "Only Yesterday." But you can throw away "Ocean Waves/I can hear the Sea", that was the worst Ghibli film in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RDespair

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:22 am Reply with quote
Only Yesterday is a beautiful movie and I'm not just talking about its visuals. I guess it's not for everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote
I found Only Yesterday and I Can Hear the Sea to be both very good. Only Yesterday was an incredible look into a person's childhood and how it effects her life and I Can Hear the Sea was boring but a very nice and refreshing high school romance story.

Wow the trailers for TokiKake look absolutley amazing. A girl one day discovers she can travel through time. It looks more like a high school slice of life romance story though but the music and art are incredible I can't wait till it comes out on DVD so I can buy it.

I'm surprised they rated Pokemon so highly but the last movie Mew and The Wave Hero wasn't really your typical Pokemon either and I think it was rated highly also. The last movie was more character driven and dramatic but kinda boring. I hope this new Pokemon has a bit more action/adventure to it.

It's sad Gendo Senki didn't do to well with critics, I'm sure it's good art wise but the trailers just make the story look so boring.
mufurc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:43 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Bulls***. I saw a preview for this when I went to see Deathnote and I thought it was great. There's no way this is going to be terrible.

287 reviews say it's terrible. I skipped through all pages and 99% of the reviewers say they were horribly disappointed.

Help_me_Im_a_n00b wrote:
I like Bones since they made RahXephon, Kurau, and Scrapped Princess, but recently just make fangirl fodder.

If you're referring to Ouran Host Club, it starts off as a very clever and creative parody of fangirl fodders, then evolves into a very charming series on its own. Not to mention that along with FMA and Bones' other works, it's enjoyable for both genders and anyone over 14. If that's not mainstream enough for you...

Help_me_Im_a_n00b wrote:
Hate to say it, but it seems like Gonzo is the one in the closest position.

You're just joking, right? Very Happy;; (Three words: Garasu no kantai. The worst anime I've seen since Weiss Kreuz.)
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:53 am Reply with quote
All of it is subjective anyways. I won't take any of this to heart until I see the movies myself. The critics could have came into the movies with expectations of being just like the other Ghibli titles and found something totally different. A similar situation could have happened for the Gonzo title ("Brave Story").

Take, for example, "Only Yesterday".

spoiler[I thought that "Only Yesterday" was a stereotypical piece in which the working female leaves her career for a guy. "Increase the population women of Japan. Stop your careers and have children!" Adding insult to injury, a cover of "The Rose" was used.

'Ocean Waves" was a nice piece TV animation imo. It was less sugary and stereotypical imo. Both protagonists went off to college. No regrets from these guys about having careers. The female didn't have to leave her career to have a love life either.]
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:04 pm Reply with quote
RDespair wrote:
Only Yesterday is a beautiful movie and I'm not just talking about its visuals. I guess it's not for everyone.

It's not for children or teenagers at all, whatsoever. It's a film made for adults, and can only be appreciated fully by adults because it's about an experience that's very specific to adults.

Also, it isn't Ghibli's job to "prove to everyone what anime can be". Not everything that gets released has to "prove" something to someone. It's just a movie.
Carl Horn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
RDespair wrote:

It's not for children or teenagers at all, whatsoever. It's a film made for adults, and can only be appreciated fully by adults because it's about an experience that's very specific to adults.

Also, it isn't Ghibli's job to "prove to everyone what anime can be". Not everything that gets released has to "prove" something to someone. It's just a movie.

I'd go as far to say that Japan has a problem in regarding Ghibli films as a creative standard for anime. Miyazaki especially is good at making crowd-pleasers suitable for the whole family; such movies will always be more popular (whether or not the director is also an artistic giant like Miyazaki). But there needs to be more equity in the anime B.O. I don't expect a Satoshi Kon or Mamoru Oshii or Hiroyuki Okiura film to make as much as a Ghibli movie, but the gap is, shall we say, much greater than warranted. A Princess Mononoke showed what anime can be, but so in quite different ways, did Millennium Actress and Innocence and Jin-Roh.
Treeloot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:29 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

Because previews are a perfect representation of how the actual movie will be.
poiznelf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:43 pm Reply with quote
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0495596/ - Gedo senki

Ahh I see the reason for the bad reviews.

Directed by
Goro Miyazaki

This movie is NOT directed by Hayao Miyazaki. I seem to remember a news story about how Hayao Miyazaki was against his son directing this movie. I now understand why.

Ahh here is the link: http://www.kaijushakedown.com/2005/12/new_ghibli_proj.html
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8