• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Golden Time (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
You know, I'm gonna believe Linda when she said she didn't have romantic feelings for Past Tada. She clearly cared for him a lot, but I'm not quite sure it was romantically. Protective, loving big sister seems very accurate.

I do think, however, she might be developing feelings for Current Tada that are sparked by her relationship with Past Tada. Like, she loved Past Tada a lot platonically, but this Tada is so different with his confidence that it's creating new feelings for Linda and she's not sure how to handle it.

The reason she couldn't love Past Tada romantically was because he was so...frail, but this current one isn't like that, but is technically Tada, so Linda is kind of fusing the two to create the perfect Tada and she's aware of it and knows it wrong.

At least, that's how I'm reading the situation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:46 am Reply with quote
That's a perfectly valid interpretation, TKoH, and you may be right. But here's why you aren't: spoiler[the flashback scene we saw with Linda and Banri at their highschool. Linda lies to the girls and says she doesn't even like Banri. Animeworld Law No. 1 - when a character protests, "It's - it's not like that!" it means it is TOTALLY like that. It is also clear once she realizes that Banri has heard her, that her misery is more than just a simple case of, "oh no I've hurt my platonic friend's feelings." It read very much like, "oh no I've hurt the feelings of a guy who I like but can't admit to liking."]

Given that this is a 2-cours show, here is my unspoilerish (i.e. formed without any knowledge of the source material) assumption of how this might play out: Banri and Koko will break up from the compound stress of Koko still being hung up on Mitsuo and New Banri's growing realization that he is attracted to Linda. As bizarre as it may seem, I think Koko and Mitsuo will actually start going out as will Banri and Linda (this last pairing is obviously more likely than the first one). But given that there will be enough episodes, I think Banri and Koko will realize that they are actually meant to be together. Mitsuo will end up with Chinami after all, and of course Linda ends up 2D-kun. Okay, I'm kidding about that last one. We all know that 2D-kun ends up the helpless sex monkey for the Debauchery Tea Club.

You read it here first, folks. Anyway, this continues to be a grand, fun soap opera. So glad I didn't ditch it after the first eppie as I had been tempted to do.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:27 am Reply with quote
Don't be foolish.

Based off this episode it's obvious that Mitsuo will have a mini harem with 2-D cun and Banri =P
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Given that this is a 2-cours show, here is my unspoilerish (i.e. formed without any knowledge of the source material) assumption of how this might play out: Banri and Koko will break up from the compound stress of Koko still being hung up on Mitsuo and New Banri's growing realization that he is attracted to Linda. As bizarre as it may seem, I think Koko and Mitsuo will actually start going out as will Banri and Linda (this last pairing is obviously more likely than the first one). But given that there will be enough episodes, I think Banri and Koko will realize that they are actually meant to be together. Mitsuo will end up with Chinami after all, and of course Linda ends up 2D-kun. Okay, I'm kidding about that last one. We all know that 2D-kun ends up the helpless sex monkey for the Debauchery Tea Club.

So to summarize: 2D gets the grand prize. Everyone else gets to wonder what if.

Again I want to point out that in this story all the relationship bad actors are girls in the back story. Koko was (and is apparently) a Class 5 stalker/clinger and what Linda did, even if forgivable, was bad enough that she deserves serious penalty for it. If she has to chew her cell phone down to the zero key in frustration while watching Koko and Banra boink that's ok by me.

Um, you avatar: you finally got tired of the bewbs?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote
Blood, You're forgetting the requisite family drama that will take place. Authors tend to repeat their plot elements, and this is the author who gave us Toradora, so I'm assuming we'll be getting a healthy dose of dysfunctional parental influence pretty soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
@ SM - perhaps, but unlike Toradora!, this show is taking its sweet time in introducing that element if it is going to be one.

@ HT - actually, I ended up sticking with that avatar far longer than I had intended. It was really only supposed to be a few week wonder. The fact it persisted beyond that was more a function of my own laziness as opposed to *schwing!*
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-: I think you've made good assumptions, but I cannot see why Mitsuo would want to date Koko.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I agree. That is definitely the weak link in my chain of speculation. But if things continue to remain awkward with Chinami and if Mitsuo starts to feel sorry for Koko in the aftermath of her (presumptive) break-up with Banri ... who knows. Especially if Banri is the one who actually breaks up with Koko due to his attraction to Linda (or because he gets his memories back).

Actually, the latter is probably the plot turn that does cause Koko and Banri to break up (if they do).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Chinami takes up with 2D kun who makes her wear a pillow case to bed.

Banri breaks up with Koko. Linda and Koko get together to bad mouth Banri and become a couple.

Banri and Yano discover that there are more than three girls in the school and move on.

At six month intervals everyone breaks up and finds someone new. This process lasts through college graduation. This is why it is called Golden Time.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
All Banri and Yano are going to discover is each other. They'll come to understand why it was so natural to put on that show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote

I feel like *some* of you aren't taking this speculation stuff very seriously.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
In my experience, first year college romances have all the permanence of a sand castle at high tide. This of course is not real life so it could go anywhere. Speculation is fun but a bit pointless. The next few weeks will come in due time.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[" I have a body. I can touch. I can move. I'm not a ghost! ...Linda!]

Shocked Oh. Shit.

Anyway, good episode, thanks to some great character development for our two spoiler[childhood friends (no, not Koko and Mitsuo)].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Okay well that was quite an interesting episode. Some speculations:

I'm going to assume that the guy with the glasses in Linda's flashback had something to do with the accident as part of a revenge plot. He looks wayyyyy too suspicious. Also, second speculation:

I'm going to assume that Kouko heard the conversation between Linda and Banri at night. I mean, a cold out of nowhere and asking those awkward questions? Yeah, not buying it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
@ Stark700 - I agree on both counts. Hoo-boy, kaka is about to get real, folks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 22