• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Golden Time (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:03 am Reply with quote
Can I just say how much episode 12 totally blew me away? Why, you ask? Because it did something that anime romance shows hardly ever do:

There was a build-up to an emotional exchange...AND THE EXCHANGE ACTUALLY HAPPENED. That's virtually revolutionary in an anime context. Not only that, but the two characters in the exchange WERE ACTUALLY ABLE TO SAY EXACTLY WHAT THEY WERE THINKING WITHOUT FUMBLING AROUND OR MISUNDERSTANDINGS. Whoa, did some Western writers suddenly take over the show???

I really thought Banri would get back to the apartment and Koko wouldn't be there. Or if she was there, the expected emotional exchange would be dealt with perfunctorily or get blown off. My jaw literally hit the floor when THEY ACTUALLY TALKED AT SOME LENGTH ABOUT WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS. It's sad that I'm finding something so basic so startling. But that's the legacy of anime romances.

I am more Team Koko than I ever was. She is absolutely aware of her tendencies and is struggling hard to overcome them. Linda is a drip. She wasn't honest with Banri before (I assume) and she isn't being honest with him now. At least now she has a reason to keep her feelings hidden: out of consideration for Banri's relationship with Koko. But she's so banal. Give me the hot mess that Koko is any day of the week over the bland, "nice" personality of Linda.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:06 am Reply with quote
Linda is way more than a nice personality, Blood. She has a rockin bod too. Did you see that stomach definition? YOWZA!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:26 am Reply with quote
Hey, I wouldn't kick her out of a 2D bed for eating 2D crackers, but Koko isn't exactly hard on the male gaze, either.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:36 am Reply with quote
This is all missing the obvious pairing:

Just look at how sensual their first meeting was.
And the below says everything.

In all serious I am going for the main duo.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:15 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Hey, I wouldn't kick her out of a 2D bed for eating 2D crackers, but Koko isn't exactly hard on the male gaze, either.

Sure, if you're into stick figures wearing pumps. I think I've made it clear over the years that I like em good and thick and sporty, so Linda is the bestest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm the way Mitsuo was oggling over Linda, I think he might ask her out later.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Hmmm the way Mitsuo was oggling over Linda, I think he might ask her out later.

It was pretty obvious where his interest has landed although it would seem pretty fickle of him to just give up on Chinami so quickly. However if this is actually his first months of life not smothered by Koko he can be forgiven for being a little flightily.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Nana is my favorite character. That punch. I think we need to call in

Ghost Banri is becoming annoying, spoiler["I will curse you!" lol...]

The first time I heard the new OP song, I thought it was static. But after listening to it again I realized it was actually drums being played fast. I kind of like it.

Last edited by WhiteHairGirls on Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
^You mean Nana? She was the one that punched Tada Banri if I could recall.

Decent episode imo although not earth shattering for a comeback. I think Nagi no Asukara takes that prize today. There's also a new OP + ED song. I'll probably skip the OP song though as it has this BGM-like beat to it that I'm not used to for romantic comedies.

The latest episode 13 itself was fun with the spoiler[festival. There was even a near kiss as well. More importantly, it looks like Ghost Banri is once again planning...]

The PV looks like they're finally going to the spoiler[beach]. Should be fun.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
Opps yeah I meant Nana. Funny how Linda's first name is actually Nana.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
I agree, Nagi-Asu had the strongest comeback of the 3 2nd Cours I saw today. (Golden Time, Nagi-Asu, and Sammenco).
Golden Time was fun and funny though spoiler[watching the club encourage Koko to dance was fun, and Koko's fake cooking shtick was actually pretty funny. She's always very over-the-top. I expected her to explode after Banri rejected her kiss, but she took it in stride.

Now, this whole ghost curse thing is ridiculous! Come on! Okay, whatever, the ghost of old Banri is real and he wants to make poor Banri miserable. The ghost is like a child having a temper tantrum. I'd rather watch Banri get more and more conflicted about Linda as his feelings naturally resurface in a subtle way. They didn't need a supernatural angle.]

I hope the speculation about incorporating the last volume of the book in the second cour of the series is on the mark.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:37 am Reply with quote
My thought is that the curse from Ghost Banri and everything getting canceled was just coincidence. The real curse started taking place at the park where Tada couldn't kiss Koko. Why couldn't he kiss Koko? Because Ghost Banri's "curse" is the affliction of not being able to bury his feelings for Linda. His "curse" is to cause a swirling of emotions in Tada's head. That's the curse, not rain at a fireworks show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

I don't know why but I thought the new OP sounded like a mess, the music sounded to unrefined and loud compared to the singing. I am definitely liking Koko now that she has calmed down a little. Suffering from spoiler[normal anxiety about the festival], trying to turn the spoiler[surprise back onto him] (despite the consequence). It was all rather entertaining with her anxiety being spoiler[stopped by silliness], and her face at seeing that spoiler[he saw her cheat].

I am personally of the mind that some of the situations were a coincidence, it is not so crazy that it can't be written off as such yet. For Bunri supposedly being stuck thinking about Linda in that he could not kiss Koko, there is a pretty interesting observation that after thinking about Koko leaving him he had tears in his eyes. It shows that he does care about Koko, perhaps it really is another aspect that is making him keep stopping. Stupid ghost Bunri.

And holiday time. I watched Kimi no Iru Machi, so I am a little worried.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
That Koko doesn't do well with pressure does she.

Totally creepy: that bongo bongo circle dance thing they did. Never seen that before.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Found an interesting theory over at another forum, which I really hope isn't true, but would certainly make for an interesting end to the series.

Quote:
spoiler["So after watching the latest episode of Golden Time and seeing its super ominous haunting OP, complete with creepy music box and super depressed gray filter Kaga Koko, a disturbing idea about what might happen in the plot occurred to me and when I decided to look more into stuff it seemed like it might actually be scarily possible, so I had to get this theory/prediction out here asap just in the unfortunate case I turnout to be right!]

spoiler[So here's the prediction: Tada Banri didn't properly recover from his injury in the motorbike accident and he's actually dying; hence the ghost Banri showing up, and somehow Kaga Koko knows this (like it turns out she's actually the one who accidently ran into him on a bike and she feels guilty and so that's why she's really clingy, obsessive and nervous around Banri) and then Banri really does die, Kaga Koko is actually the main character - hence why she's showcased in the Ops and EDs so much - and the series ends up being her in denial and grief stuck still chasing her dream of being with Banri, like how she's desperately running in the OP and when she's sat on the bench (which looks like it could be in some funeral area) she's actually remebering/imagining Banri hence the grey filter and Banri's hidden face. Also in the OP there's the clock theme - Banri's time running out. And also notice how in every single OP and ED the love hearts seen always pop, break or disappear.]

spoiler[What made me think this was when I looked into what 'Golden Time' actually means: according to the wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_hour_(medicine) Golden Time is actually "In emergency medicine, the golden hour (also known as golden time) refers to a time period lasting for one hour following traumatic injury being sustained by a casualty or medical emergency, during which there is the highest likelihood that prompt medical treatment will prevent death." AND "There is a golden hour between life and death. If you are critically injured you have less than 60 minutes to survive. You might not die right then; it may be three days or two weeks later — but something has happened in your body that is irreparable" If Banri wasn't treated properly in the 'golden time' and is still actually left severely injured over a long period of time - like serious injury to the brain, hence memory loss - then it could be that he's actually going to die from his injury and the name 'golden time' takes on another meaning: the time he has left with his friends and loved ones to have fun in college until his inevitable death.]

spoiler[Think about that, then think about how rose petal theme in the OPs/EDs throughout, and then think about this, an old Roman celebration where rose petals were scattered: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosalia_(festival) According to the wikipedia: "In the Roman Empire, Rosalia or Rosaria was a festival of roses celebrated on various dates, primarily in May, but scattered through mid-July." - in the summer time, when the show is set - "As a commemoration of the dead, the rosatio developed from the custom of placing flowers at burial sites" "Flowers were traditional symbols of rejuvenation, rebirth, and MEMORY...Their blooming period framed the season of spring, with roses the last of the flowers to bloom and violets the earliest.[5] As part of both festive and funerary banquets, roses adorned "a strange repast ... of life and death together, considered as two aspects of the same endless, unknown process." "In Greece and Rome, wreaths and garlands of flowers and greenery were worn by both men and women for festive occasions.[9] Garlands of roses and violets, combined or singly, adorn erotic scenes, bridal processions, and drinking parties in Greek lyric poetry from the Archaic period onward." - keep in mind the festival theme in the show, like the club Banri and Koko are in - "As a symbol of both blooming youth and mourning, the rose often marks a death experienced as untimely or premature." " Roses and the ominous presence of thorns may intimate bloodshed and mortality even in the discourse of love." - thorns are clearly visible in the first OP around the frames of the gothic looking paris/fairground where Koko is - "Conversely, roses in a funerary context can allude to festive banqueting, since Roman families met at burial sites on several occasions throughout the year for libations and a shared meal that celebrated both the cherished memory of the beloved dead" - again the theme of death being connected to the festival theme.]

spoiler[The more I think about and rewatch the new OP (which is ominously called 'The World's End') and think about the title 'Golden Time' the more it seems to me like that's how the plot might actually go, but I really really hope I'm wrong. What do you guys think, am I just over-thinking this or is it plausible?"]

Last edited by Beltane70 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 22