• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Golden Time (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bizarcasm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote
We haven't seen ghost-Banri for several episodes now, but now we might be starting to see why. I assumed at first that he was just not showing up since he was happy that present-Banri was accepting his past, but I don't think that's the case anymore.

spoiler[It looks to me like ghost-Banri is still hung up over the car accident. He's angsting because he tried to curse his present self, and thinks it nearly got them all killed. He doesn't want to be remembered anymore, he wants to disappear. What's more, he might not know how to lift said curse, and has been keeping his distance in order to avoid hurting his present self or friends any more. Koko's mirror breaking might also be a response to present-Banri getting too close.]

Hard to say for certain though, until we see more.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19

I burst out laughing when spoiler[Koko suddenly felt nauseous while trying to climb the Eiffel tower.] At least I recognized that... thing.

Totally loved it. Didn't expect Oka-chan to suddenly spoiler[snap like that Shocked, but considering she heard their entire conversation but doesn't know about their past,] it's understandable.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19:

LOL, that is not a "spoiler[club]" Banri! I recognized it right away without even trying to figure it out because last week's PV title. The big hint was "Night in spoiler[Paris]". Shame they didn't reach home base...maybe some other day I guess.

It's quite obvious that spoiler[Mitsuo has a thing for Linda and this episode confirms it already. I wasn't fond of seeing Chinami the way she acted though. I also miss her long hair....]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
I burst out laughing when spoiler[Koko suddenly felt nauseous while trying to climb the Eiffel tower.] At least I recognized that... thing.

Definitely a LOL moment -- bravo. What really makes it work though is the characters' self awareness: "you expect that of us?" "yeah that's me."

I really like Koko now. What a wonderful girl.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:27 am Reply with quote
Yes, Koko continues to delight, but I actually liked Linda-senpai a lot this time too. Mainly because she showed more than just her usual placid, banal side. She's kinda crazy too and therefore interesting. Based on what she said about Mitsuo, it seems like maybe that was her problem with Banri in the past: she freaks out when a guy shows interest in her.

Anyway, some great comedic moments. Like the great "I'm here!" expression on Koko's face after she pulled the others away from Banri at the beginning or the way she got up super fast and turned the lights off in that supah sexy "seduction" scene. Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 19

Yeah, this is actually great episode relationship wise, and I don't just mean romantic either. Koko and Banri are a good couple, I think this was especially strong when Koko said spoiler[that he keeps bringing out a side of her, and that side is the real Koko]. Koko's decision to spoiler[climb the tower was delightfully awkward], but at the same time as delightfully intimate. That they spoiler[did not need to give to do it just because they thought] they needed to or something. I think sometimes the awkward parts and what come with it are the best.

Koko spoiler[praised Oka's haircut], Koko did seem annoyed when Banri spoiler[started to praise her], I believe she was being sincere though. Mitsuo got some things out in the open, but he still spoiler[escaped some truth, whether it was trust, fear of truth], or both is under interpretation. Linda and Banri also had some good moments, yes it looked quite intimate (a lot of touching), but I don't think that I felt the awkwardness from earlier and it just felt like two friends. And Okaspoiler[ lost her cool with Banri, thinking he was partially cheating on Koko], but my opinion is that she was taking her spoiler[frustration out on Banri, thinking that he did not support her feelings for Mitsuo as much as Linda's possible feelings].

Mature (the right kind) episode for the win. Also him not spoiler[feeling worthy of her fortune or "ramen-eating dad".]
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20:

The spoiler[tea club] is back! It was so nice seeming them and trying to persuade Banri to join their club. I would of joined in a heartbeat....

Otherwise, spoiler[Mitsuo really need to step up with his tactics if he wants to get closer to Linda especially now since there's a third party interference. On a more important note, guess who's back in Tada Banri...]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 20

And so it seems that spoiler[it has finally happened, Banri's memories have come back.] At first it looks looked he was acting entirely spoiler[like the old Banri, pretty afraid, but then he showed signs of the recent memories and his frame of mind on his past self]. Seems that the spoiler[two sides of him have squished together that we can't be sure what his current thoughts are]. He said that spoiler[he had to get back to Koko], so it is a good sign, but we can't tell yet spoiler[whether he loves Linda or Koko more]. The preview did not look depressing, and he looked normal, so who knows.

On other news Koko was excellent. She was really getting along really well with Oka. She had conversations Banri where he admitted being friendly with Linda and she did not get too emotional. her spoiler[dodging the exorcist thing] was worth a laugh. And she was helping others that felt nervous instead of feeling it herself. She has really grown in the series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:00 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 20:

The spoiler[tea club] is back! It was so nice seeming them and trying to persuade Banri to join their club. I would of joined in a heartbeat....

Same here. I love those two. I'd let them have their evil way with me, no problem.

Love the "subtle" touch at the end when Banri is questioning whether or not tspoiler[he "old" him is trying to regain control again and we switch to a rear view where his paddle with the word YES printed on it] was plainly visible.
S!xString

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
That's spoiler[an extreme emotional event Banri experienced,] but looks like he recovers with an "I'm fine" and everyone goes "oh....OK." WTF?
Get that guy to a psychiatrist for personality disorder treatment!
It's like multiple personality sufferers who have to be guided to integration...get help!

Oh well, this series does cliff hangers well.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 21

Many emotions this episode... spoiler[AHHHH THAT ENDINGGGG!!] Okay, calm down.

So, Banri decided to spoiler[run away instead of confronting his emotions and memories together with Koko. He's afraid that he'll lose his current self (along with his current friends) when his old memories return, or that he'll even disappear as a whole person. Koko must've been devastated after hearing that he didn't want to confide in her, especially after already seeing him trying to hide his feelings earlier] this episode. However, at the spoiler[end of the episode he was trying to tell Koko that he'd always return to her - but she clearly thought this was the end for them. I think she didn't believe their relationship had a future if he didn't trust her. It is true that Banri has been unstable for multiple episodes and she was always there for him, trying to help him grow and their relationship grow.
I think she somehow tried to make it easier for him by dumping him, but I don't know if I fully understand Koko's actions at this point. She is the girl that tends to go into extremes, so maybe this is some kind of an 'all or nothing' thing. ]
It must be difficult for her, especially when she has her own quirks to handle even though they weren't very prominent these last episodes (okay, only in exorcist mode then Wink ).

Whatever the reason, I believe (and surely hope) that like other emotional bumps, they'll have a good talk together to clear up the misunderstandings and cope with the problems at hand. spoiler[The next episode didn't look gloomy] so Smile
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 21:

I think I might understand spoiler[Chinami a bit better now after seeing her conversation with Banri (well, before his other ego took over anyways). Nana was epic as usual in this episode with that bitch slap. She's not wrong. That is how you knock a little sense in some people.]

I didn't quite understand what happened at the end of the episode though. spoiler[Is Koko breaking up with Banri or what? She reinstated her original motivation for following Mitsuo. Weird.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Hey, Banri, I have a little piece of advice for you:

STOP BEING A PATHETIC, WHINY LITTLE BITCH!!! JESUS CHRIST, NO WONDER LINDA DIDN'T WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOU, YOU BALL-LESS WIMP!!!

Best part of the episode: spoiler[Nana laying the smackdown on Bitch Boy.] I actually cheered. One of those wonderful moments when a character does EXACTLY what you are itching to do.

Yes, I was rather taken aback by the ending, too. To me, it smacked of contriving a situation to end on a cliff-hanger as opposed to something that originated organically out of character. We've been shown time and time again that spoiler[Koko is obsessive to the point of scariness once she settles on her object of desire, so her throwing in the towel really doesn't make much character sense,] unless this is some kind of shock therapy to try and help Banri not be so much of crybaby tittysucker bitch.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a neurologist, but I really don't think this is how amnesia works. It's the only thing that's the least bit unrealistic on this show, but it's so pivotal to the plot. However, now that they show Banri remembering recent things when his "former self" suddenly takes over, it doesn't seem so bad. But do his old memories stay with him, or does he forget everything again when he calms down? The show doesn't make it clear.

I pretty much suspected why Chinami was so upset before they revealed it, but, man, she acted like a baby.

As for Koko spoiler[I'm in the "shock therapy" camp]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 21

Surprised
The fact that Koko would love Banri had become such a spoiler[solid fact, that now that she is breaking up I feel my whole reality shifting away]. I find myself desperately searching for an explanation, seems most likely she is spoiler[doing it because she thinks it better for him, there is a chance she saw him on the camera], or just misinterpreted the whole spoiler[running away thing].

Oka was good in the episode, I liked her whole confession about what she had been like lately, nicely refreshing.

Based off the preview it looks like he will be down for a little while, but the very end looked hopeful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 22