• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Golden Time (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I wish I could plead with Yuyuko Takemiya to not write drama. Because, for me, when the drama hit Toradora it was such a slog to get through. And now these past two episodes of Golden Time have been a slog to get through. Banri spoiler[not wanting to "disappear"] is understandable, but the reaction of spoiler[running out of his own home] was 100% irrational. Banri's actions do not at all line up with his motivations and desires, which is the same problem I had with Toradora (although that had more characters where the actions and motivations did not line up). It's a mess. Thankfully it'll end soon.

A shame too, because Takemiya's characters are quite fun when hanging out and goofing off together, and even most of the romantic one-on-one scenes in Golden Time have been pretty good.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
STOP BEING A PATHETIC, WHINY LITTLE BITCH!!! JESUS CHRIST, NO WONDER LINDA DIDN'T WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOU, YOU BALL-LESS WIMP!!!

I don't know if you recall but earlier episodes portrayed exactly that situation. Linda was always taking care of timid, awkward Banri. And at his reunion none of the classmates were any more shy than you are at pointing that out. You might be a bit harsh on this point, however.

SixString wrote:
Get that guy to a psychiatrist for personality disorder treatment!
It's like multiple personality sufferers who have to be guided to integration...get help!

That was my take as well. Banri is clearly having symptoms of what would be diagnosed today as PTSD if he had come back from combat. I have had some contact with cases like that long before it was called PTSD (Vietnam era) and I can tell you those guys get pretty frightened for what appears to be no rational reason.

Personally, I thought the high part of the episode was where 2D and Mitsuo were rallying about Banri: "challenge accepted." 2D seems to be like a utility-knife kind of friend -- useful in all kinds of random situations.

Also, for those of you who are concerned, there is no way that Koko is seriously breaking up with Banri. I think she just has come too far and has become too grounded for capricious moves anymore. Look at how assertive she was with him early in the episode when he was doing hist typical evasion thing. Another episode high point.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22 -- I can't believe I am the first to comment on this.

The wheels sure as hell have come off big time haven't they.

Koko really threw me for a loop in the morning there -- I can't blame Banri for being confused. As much as this is uncomfortable I somehow have the feeling that she is doing the right thing. She may or may not have her reasons but it is just possible that this ditz of a girl is smarter than I am.

Personally I think Koko is willing to come back to Banri, but only under the right conditions. I'm on her side 100%.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Banri involved in a spoiler[girl fight]... was completely fitting.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 22:

Nana is just so awesome in this show, just like the series her character is based off of tbh.

The PV from last time caught me off guard a bit last time. spoiler[I really did thought Koko would apologize and forget what happened. I didn't really think they would've broke up. Anyways, pretty damn emotional episode, probably one of the most dramatic episode of the season so far. Damn, love just hurts. They really did broke up this time. No joke now.]

Linda also made quite the scene there wow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 22

That was one emotional and angry episode, almost gloriously so.

To be honest I had no idea what is actually happening, but I think something Koko's father said actually explains it. Koko spoiler[found out that he was taking medications to help with anxiety], and she thinks that Banri is spoiler[taking it because of her, that she is the one causing him anxiety]. It does have some precedent as she knows that she was spoiler[upsetting Mitsuo, so she thinks that breaking up will remove the anxiety], when really it is spoiler[making it worse as she does not realize she is a rock]. As we saw when she got spoiler[upset that she has no reason to even go to college], she is silently suffering too.

On other notes all the different parts with Nana, Oka 2D-kun, Linda, were great, probably should throw in Mitsuo too. I know we make fun of Banri, but he is a good character, I like that he is not mucho, and he is a step above other such leads. I really want to see what happens next, hopefully Banri shows how much she means to him.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:43 am Reply with quote
Whoa, drama-lama-ding-dong. Yes, I agree with DuskyPredator's feeling that Koko broke up with Banri because spoiler[she feels she is making his anxiety worse.] Personally, I think she should have broken up with him because he has a vagina instead of a schlong and balls, but hey - that's just me.

I wasn't crazy over seeing spoiler[Nana's conversion. You can still be snarly and supportive. I feel like the show dialed up her "nice" side] in a way that didn't feel credible.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
wow, someone turned up the narm factor well past 11. Did Okada write this episode?
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Just saw episode 22. That was INTENSE. Koko really confused everyone there. spoiler[At first, I got the impression that perhaps Koko's doctor parents convinced her to break up with Banri because he's on meds (which would be a lousy thing to do, but meds still have such a stigma) and that Koko's dad only gave Banri a ride because Koko asked him to, and maybe he felt guilty. But after seeing this thread I remembered that Koko really never cared what her parents thought and would only do something so drastic if it benefited her or Banri in her mind. So maybe she does think he's on meds because of her. Or maybe after seeing the Okamera video she thinks he's too confused to know what he really wants and she needs to step back to force him to figure it out for himself.

In any case, it was nice to see how supportive everyone was of Banri. Koko and Banri have been seen as the "perfect couple" on campus for so long that no one wants them to break up! That's sweet. Banri's a nice guy, and he has a lot of friends on his side who can help him figure this mess out. He's going to need it.

I still wonder what Koko's dad *really* feels, though. The way he spoke to Banri made it seem that he was disappointed in him. Was it because "you broke my daughter's heart", "my daughter isn't good enough for you to chase after", or "you're not good enough for her, anyway" kind of disappointment? ]
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 23:
Oh God, thespoiler[ bromance between Mitsuo and Banri was awesome. Man tears were shed. As for Koko and Banri, I guess they are 'just friends' now again just the way they started out as much.]

I really have no idea how this show will end though with that ending.

On another note, Nana is so awesome.

Last edited by Stark700 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:20 pm Reply with quote
^^ Didn't you mean Episode 23?

Can anyone name an anime girl who ever looked so gloriously beautiful than Koko did this episode? With her hair up and that in that dark outfit the day of the festival. And her brave face, given that spoiler[she ended the prior day crying.] That girl deserves better.

Anyway, it is inexplicable to me that Banri is allowed to go on like this without medical treatment. It's not like he is living in pre-Obamacare America after all. Are the Japanese really that adverse to admitting mental disease?
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
^^^Seriously! And it's not even an *emotional* illness, it's a *neurological* illness! Banri's amnesia is presenting like a form of dementia or Alzheimer's disease, in which the patient loses current memories and memories of the more recent past and becomes lost in memories of years earlier, effectively becoming lost in time. I'm actually surprised they're going through with it. I was sure Banri would be able to integrate his former and current selves and memories, but spoiler[The way things were described at the end of episode 23, it seems like he'll lose all his memories of the past year in college-perhaps for good. That is a bit tragic. Not to mention all those law classes he'll have to retake!

So Koko broke up with Banri for *his* sake? I still don't quite get it. From her perspective it's a truly selfless act, though. She's really shaped up into a well rounded, caring person.

Nana is awesome. Glad there was actual comedy amongst all the drama, because that scene where Yana apologizes was melodramatic to the point of being unintentionally funny to me. I mean, who were the main couple on this show, Banri & Koko or Banri & Yana?]

Looks like next ep spoiler[will be about how Banri's friends reintroduce themselves to him and try to jog his memory. Hope its not a clip show!]

One last thing, during the scene spoiler[with 2D-kun and Oka-chan, did anyone else think, just for a moment, that he might confess to her?] I love that coffee shop, btw. Woodstock Cafe, with that little bird on the guitar Woodstock symbol! Very cute for a Starbucks parody.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:07 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
^^ Didn't you mean Episode 23?

Oops fixed.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 23

Despite the comedy like hilariously over the top speeches, this episode was sad. Banri looks to spoiler[drop his feelings for Koko by something like not recognising her or the feelings he used to have, it really felt like a piece of him] was missing. And when 2D puts all that work into bringing them back together, spoiler[Banri has another episode, and Koko being mentioned was not enough to bring him back, because he cast it off]. It was only spoiler[once he saw her crying her eyes out how much he wanted to help her]. And by the end the tables have turned, Koko spoiler[is the one doing supporting and Banri drifts away lamenting on his life]. And with then we find out thatspoiler[ he is gone, the Banri we knew through this series is gone as is his memories and experiences].

This is like spoiler[the death of a character, a character I had actually grown to care a lot for]. I think Banri might be one of my favourite J.C. Staff male leads. I am talking about the spoiler[Banri who would have no problems getting close to a rich pretty girl that no one would approach, even knowing that she is a little unstable]. The spoiler[guy who without a second thought would pretend to be his male friend's lover to help him get rid of unwanted attention]. The spoiler[guy who threw his friends to wolves because they were ruining the party]. That would stick spoiler[with the girl as she went on something of a rampage, and would confess his feelings to her]. The guy spoiler[who decided to enjoy a rainy day at the beach anyway]. The spoiler[Banri that would dress in drag at a party for] money. The spoiler[Banri who ended up at a party for a cult and managed to get everyone else out]. The Banri that was working up for Paris.

Still hope that spoiler[his friends visiting new old Banri at his home can bring something back]. I am too invested in this show to not want a happy ending.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:50 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Can anyone name an anime girl who ever looked so gloriously beautiful than Koko did this episode? With her hair up and that in that dark outfit the day of the festival.

She did, indeed, look fantastic. I even noticed that she had that all-important Old Navy thigh gap!

@ Agent355 - re: your assumption as to why Koko broke up with Banri. I initially assumed she did it for his sake too, but spoiler[this episode she specifically said she did it because she couldn't handle him forgetting about her. And she said that if his prediction about losing all his new memories was wrong, she would never leave him again for the rest of their lives.]

I don't know why Banri didn't start spoiler[writing down stuff] earlier. Also, as much as a drag it is that he will lose all the memory of his courses, why not simply assume that once his new memories are gone that he would become friends with the gang once again and fall in love with Koko once more? There's no reason to assume that won't happen.

In fact, I assume that's the approach the show is going to take. They may go with him getting his "new" memories back, but I think they'll probably go with the "let's all start over" thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 22