• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Coppelion (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I really really dislike the Ozu sisters.
Kanon truly was the crazier one of the two.
Well, at least they crammed spoiler[all the action] into final episode.
Lots of emotions this time.
Yet again, not much of a surprise though.
Seems like spoiler[Naruse put those two into place.]
Although, it's more like they put themselves there.
Guess Ozu sisters aren't just crazy, at least not all the time ^^
Nice, spoiler[happy end], as expected.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Pretty mediocre show for me overall. The finale felt rushed and made spoiler[little sense considering the Ozu sisters hated humans and often explained themselves their ideologies yet they joined them in the end. The fight was cheesy too.]

Well at least it ended on a happy note I guess rather than some huge cliffhanger. It just wasn't impacting as I had hoped for. Oh well...

Rating it as not very good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:46 am Reply with quote
Halleluja, spoiler[she finally popped out the babies...] I don't really have much more to say about this show, nothing nice at least. Well, i didn't drop it which means that i must have enjoyed it on some level, though i can't quite remember exactly what level that was...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

The Ozu sisters (mostly Kanon) push even harder until they spoiler[suffer a clear defeat and see that their rage was pointless], and all Kanon cared about was her sister, thinking that she deserved to die. While I think the quick change is rather unsettling, I am not against a happy ending where the villains learn the error of their ways and the hero goes to great lengths to save them too. That is like one of my favourite parts of anime.

I have to be honest and mention that I had tears in my eyes towards the more emotional parts of the episodes, whether they were psychotic earlier be damned. It felt like a good ending, a bittersweet and ending, but happy by most standards. It does feel like a good deal of the world is unexplained/unexplored, we did not get too indepth into the politics, but I liked the setting. I also rather liked the style, some beautiful backgrounds, and I thought the dark outlines of the characters helped distinguish them from just fading into the ruins. I would even forgive the lapses in logic.

Other points are that the OP and EDs sung by Angela were great, their songs are nice. I really enjoyed the series as a whole and did not have as much as a problem with everything as others. By that I probably mean Aoi who I often found funny, even her farewell to no-sense felt touching, I did have my patience pushed a little far at one point though. I will give the series a rating of Good, it was worth seeing. It might not have been the amazing show we thought it might have been with the amazing background at first, but I enjoyed it, some interesting topics and emotional parts, even if they did at times feel like they came a bit out of the blue.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm yet another anime that didn't live up to the high expectations i had for it. As i've said before these kind of setting is my absolute favorite because it seeing humanity on the brink of their own self destruction is a topic i love seeing explored in anime. However i was not satisfied one bit with how this show overall delivered in this aspect. Firstly an explanation on why exactly they are cloning normal everyday people would have been nice. I mean it obviously lead to some major problems considering the Ozu Sisters could have ended up killing them and the surviving humans.

The Ozu Sisters should have NEVER been deployed since they were displaying this unruly behavior before they even left the school (considering they bullied Aoi a bunch). I find it hard to believe that their creators weren't keeping tabs on them while they were attending school. I mean if you have a bunch of people with super powers all in one place i don't think it's a real smart idea to just let them run around willy nilly and do whatever they want because it's lead to situations like THIS. I makes me care less about them honestly because this really should have never been a problem if whoever created them was semi-competent. I really wonder how Haruto was even able to work with them in the first place.

It also doesn't help that pretty much all the villains in this show end up turning good at the LAST MINUTE which just makes things lose their impact and really just feels like convenient writing. I mean taking the 1st Division guy as an example he planned to (from what i remember) pollute the ENTIRE WORLD. Not only this but he almost kills the ibara and crew multiple times and is the reason Haruto ended up dying. And for him to just suddenly help out before he dies...........i mean that just feels cheap. If your going to go to such lengths to destroy humanity for what they did to you i highly doubt that your conviction is going to be swayed that easily. Same with all the other 1st Division guys who suddenly turned good. It would have been within reason for them to try to highjack the train instead. At least with the Ozu sisters we got more in depth details about their personality and motives which i appreciated, but that only makes the heel turn even WORSE for me.

Personally speaking i think a good villain is someone who has completely reasonable motives and an unwavering ambition. I hate villains who are bad just to be bad which luckily this anime has none of. I don't mind if i'm supposed to feel sorry for them because there is a lot of good that can come from that as well. But when it gets to a certain point where they are actually trying to take your lives as well as the lives of others........i think that should be the breaking point for empathy. Because anything beyond that is generally filled with cheesy dialogue like "Stop fighting we are friends!" and leads to a unfulfilling resolution for me.

Maybe watching so much anime has caused me to be less tolerant to the concept of "forgiveness" lol. But i'm honestly getting tired of seeing it because it just leads to predictable conclusions. Sure happy endings are good but happy endings that MAKE SENSE are better for me.

If there is a season 2 hopefully it will explain the many questions i have but if i were to judge this on it's own i couldn't say i was very happy with it (especially since the only character i liked is dead......).

So frustrating how such a great setting and animation is utterly wasted on this show complemented with extremely uninteresting characters and our main character constantly claiming that she is to stupid to understand anything complicated, which results in very cliche speeches.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
Hmm. I'd say that the first 2/3 of this show were much stronger than the last third. It fell into the trap of feeling the need for stuff to happen too much, and not giving enough time for itself to think. That last third was just "oh defeat the bad guys," as opposed to the intricate and nuanced stuff we got for the rest of it.

All in all, I'd say I liked it. I guess I blame the fact that it had a plot/narrative conclusion, but not a thematic conclusion on it being an incomplete adaptation of a manga. Oh well.

Also, at the end, when the Vice Principal gave that implied revelation about the Coppelion. What was it? To me it seemed that the implication was that spoiler[they are sterile, so having children by proxy would be more meaningful to them.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:11 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Also, at the end, when the Vice Principal gave that implied revelation about the Coppelion. What was it? To me it seemed that the implication was that spoiler[they are sterile, so having children by proxy would be more meaningful to them.]

I thought that it looked rather obvious that the spoiler[Coppelion are never going to leave the city, they won't live that long.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:27 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I think he let them in on the spoiler["one day they'll just drop dead"] secret that Haruto had found out about a few episodes ago.

So how stupid is electro-girl? She wants to stop their escape, so why not just use one of those freaking huge spider legs to sever the power lines? Then she can Kill Them All!™ at her leisure.

I knew there had to be more than spoiler[one baby in there! But if it took as many hours to do that Caesarian as it seemed, I think both mother and babies would not have survived.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12