• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2013 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Kyousogiga yet (need to figure out where!) but I have seen beyond the boundary and while I am interested enough to keep watching *I seem to like Urban fantasies* I too admit that he dialogue just seemed off and I can't really feel a connection with any of the characters yet. Hopefully it will develop itself to improve as it goes on but at the moment it's just Ok.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I thought Beyond the Boundary was impressive with the visuals and themes so far. Oh and that cliffhanger....

Also, I liked Coppelion as it was fairly faithful in terms of its adaptation. Wednesdays are going to be fun this season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
So apparently ep 1 of kyousogiga was a re-airing of the very first ONA... oh well, maybe I'll re watch it but that's still another week to wait.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
So apparently ep 1 of kyousogiga was a re-airing of the very first ONA... oh well, maybe I'll re watch it but that's still another week to wait.

Called it. I am very very excited about more kyousogiga coming out and can not wait to see what they do with the series.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Well finished the first episode of Miss Monochrome... wasn't particularly funny and the animation was mediocre but since there's very few short shows this season (as with every season) I'll keep watching for the time being. Beyond the Boundary was interesting it didn't exactly live up to my expectation but it was a good show and a perfect fit for the fall season.
Panon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I hope I'm not the only one who found it really funny that Theron wrote an effusive paragraph about GoHands animation work and then his take on KyoAni's is "eh, it's fine"
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
I hope I'm not the only one who found it really funny that Theron wrote an effusive paragraph about GoHands animation work and then his take on KyoAni's is "eh, it's fine"

No, you aren't.

It is in fact completely hilarious.

Kyoukai no Kanata is one of the most stunningly animated show's since...the last KyoAni show.

Coppelion is...filtered. Really, really, really filtered.

Granted, as a show I liked Coppelion more, but goddamn KnK was just stupidly gorgeous.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I think I liked Beyond the Boundary better under its original title, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Panon wrote:

I thought that was hilarious as well. Copellion has some absolutely gorgeous and detailed backgrounds, but the character art and animation is nothing to write home about, for the first episode at least.

penguintruth wrote:
I think I liked Beyond the Boundary better under its original title, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

I'm going to assume you meant Bakemonogatari and just had a slip of the keyboard.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I thought that was hilarious as well. Copellion has some absolutely gorgeous and detailed backgrounds, but the character art and animation is nothing to write home about, for the first episode at least.

The atrocious color filters in these GoHands shows make it really hard to appreciate the art.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm going to assume you meant Bakemonogatari and just had a slip of the keyboard.

I've never seen that show. I have seen Haruhi, and this show is basically that tweaked a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
iatheia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Not just the filters. The backgrounds are nice enough, but characters themselves ruin it with thick outlines. Animation is pretty bad, too.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
If by tweaked you mean that they take place in a school and there are supernatural powers, then sure!
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

David Spade just called from 1992, but good news, he doesn't want his joke back, he just wanted you to know that it's a really stupid joke.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I was impressed by Coppelion's first episode and underwhelmed by Beyond the Boundary's. I agree the most with Zac's impressions of Coppelion and Theron's of Beyond the Boundary.

I found BtB's opening sequence lousy. Akihito gives a dictionary definition of suicide, and then tells the girl she can't commit suicide because she looks good in glasses. Hahaha. "The navy blue ribbon of a new student is fluttering in the wind" is an awful, meaningless line that does nothing except sound pretty. He claims that he is not usually the type to save someone and then does so for no reason. This gives me neither a clearer nor a more believable conception of his character. I found his randomly bringing up the thread of possibility during his lame narration really awkward and meaningless. He seemed to say it only to have something cool and mysterious to say, and has nothing to do with the show or even the scene. The whole sequence was dressed up in awkward mysteriousness. None of the narration was necessary and none of the "poetic" or "cool" lines were interesting or relevant.

I could continue to nitpick the rest of the show, but I'll conclude that I didn't think the dialogue or writing in the show were very good at all. I like the setup and story, though I agree that Mirai's moeness is not incorporated into her character well. At one point she flaps her arms like a bird in consternation. At another she does not realise that she has a bucket on her head. I do not think this works in creating a consistent, endearing and interesting character. One of the details I liked was jumping straight to the second half of the bell chime – a surprisingly effective dissonant technique. The tone would be really good if the bad humour weren't so awkwardly forced in there; as it is, I think the show is about average, though I'm personally enjoying it far less.

Theron wrote:
"The first episode also does a very good job of allowing viewers to gradually piece together what's what without resorting to info dumping."

I disagree. That was one of the things that bugged me the most about it. They have conversations about almost every aspect of the story except Mirai apparently going to kill herself. When Mirai forms her sword of blood they immediately start discussing how that's a power of her now-extinct clan and how they were reviled for it. They even bring it up later in a more natural manner.

I enjoyed Coppelion, on the other hand. I loved how it constructed its sombre, post-apocalyptic mood. I thought its minimalist storytelling and music were good. Its animation was expressive even though not particularly detailed or fluid. Its backgrounds were really attractive, although the colour filters were way too artlessly applied. It also had about as much exposition as Beyond the Boundary, but it was much better delivered and more elegantly integrated into the story.

Zac wrote:
feral wolves, one of which Ibara winds up shooting dead

I'm pretty sure she tranquillises it. I have no idea why there's a huge bang and it gets blasted it through the air, though.

Miss Monochrome had a killer joke about halfway through, but was fairly average short comedy fare the rest of the time.

Coppelion 3.5
Miss Monochrome 2.5
Beyond the Boundary 2.5
(Super Seisyun Brothers 2)
(Diabolik Lovers 1.5)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 41