• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2013 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
I'm going to assume you meant Bakemonogatari and just had a slip of the keyboard.

I've never seen that show. I have seen Haruhi, and this show is basically that tweaked a bit.

Dude, the only thing tweaking here is you. I'd lay off the glue for a while 'coz it's making you post really, really dumb stuff.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
If by tweaked you mean that they take place in a school and there are supernatural powers, then sure!

Uh, let's see.

Takes place in high school. Check.

After school Literary Club room. Check.

Glasses fetish girl, clumsy girl, tsundere. Check. Only in this case it's all the same one character.

Mysterious supernatural powers? Check.

Same basic KyoAni character designs? Check.

Characters who hang out on the roof? Check.

Secret meeting in a classroom that turns into a fight in an enclosed space? Check.

Even how the characters relate to each other is similar. Seriously, other than this show having a slightly more grounded tone to it, it's basically SHnY. KyoAni isn't even trying anymore.

Also, before you make your empty, futile efforts to dissect those individual elements, it's not about the individual elements, but all of those existing in the same place.

A lot of you folks keep wanting to pick my arguments apart, but none of you have the mental acuity to even challenge me. It's boring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I've seen neither Haruhi nor Beyond the Boundary, but almost every other time I've seen people saying that one show is like another, it ends up being wrong, or only true in the most superficial way possible

Last edited by Galap on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I'll take "What are Light Novel Cliches for 500, Alex"

KnK will live or die on how seriously it takes itself. It was much, much better when it was being funny than when it was being serious.

Anyway, best show so far is Kyousougiga, its not even remotely a competition.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap? It takes place in school! In a club room! It features a rooftop! It's got supernatural powers! It has characteristics that nearly every single anime also has!

Dude, just take a hike already.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I've seen neither Haruhi nor Beyond the Boundary, but almost every other time I've seen people saying that one show is like another, it end sup being wrong, or only true in the most superficial way possible

Its the show that's superficial, not my argument.

Megiddo wrote:
Holy crap? It takes place in school! In a club room! It features a rooftop! It's got supernatural powers! It has characteristics that nearly every single anime also has!

Dude, just take a hike already.

You did exactly as I predicted. Seriously, learn to pay attention.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
...they can casually stroll into the city in just school uniforms...

For sale: Hope, slightly damaged after being crushed. $1 obo.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Exactly, I stated your arguments back to you. Because they're so vague and pointless that they don't merit anything else.

Anyway, Kyoukai no Kanata wants to be Bakemonogatari, not Haruhi.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Exactly, I stated your arguments back to you. Because they're so vague and pointless that they don't merit anything else.

Anyway, Kyoukai no Kanata wants to be Bakemonogatari, not Haruhi.

The individual elements aren't the argument I'm making. It's that the show has SEVERAL of those elements together in a way that makes it look and feel almost exactly like Haruhi.

I've never seen Bakemonogatari, so I can neither confirm nor deny your suggestion. But from my perspective, it's Haruhi.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Even though Diabolik Lovers is a few episodes in, I think they could still preview it. Just for laughs at least! Come on... Wink

I bet for once, we could have a show utterly ripped to shreds and there would be very little, if any angry dissent.

Last edited by ChibiKangaroo on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
BtB isn't ripping off Haruhi or Bakemonogatari. Both those series were making fun of the same set of light novel/manga/anime cliches. BtB is a collection of those cliches played straight.
Panon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Same basic KyoAni character designs? Check.

Hehhhhhh
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
BtB isn't ripping off Haruhi or Bakemonogatari. Both those series were making fun of the same set of light novel/manga/anime cliches. BtB is a collection of those cliches played straight.

A fine point.

Which is probably why it's so joyless and forced.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Meh, it feels more like every other action fantasy based in high school show I've seen, TBH Haruhi was the last thing to pop into my mind.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
A couple of posts have already been removed because people can't behave themselves. Really; settle down.

That being said, I also got a vaguely Bakemonogatari vibe off of BtB, and it mostly comes from that Nase clan girl. I half-considered calling her a "Senjyogahara wannabe" but couldn't get it to fit in the preview.

And it definitely does not, in any meaningful way, resemble MoHS. So let's not even try to go there any further, mmmkay?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 41