Forum - View topic
A Lull in the Sea (Nagi no Asukara) (TV).


Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
getchman
He started itHe started it


Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 8568
Location: Bedford, NH
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:10 am Reply with quote
absolutely gorgeous scenery porn, but mildly annoying leads. Will keep watching
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
LavenderMintRose



Joined: 30 Nov 2012
Posts: 168
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
This is my favorite of the season so far. It's adorable and imaginative.

I like that it's confident in its divergence from reality - almost like a fairy tale, it just presents this world plainly, and that's what makes you willing to just go with it. It's nice.

Also the characters are great, and they remind me of From The New World, too. It's FTNW without the ogres and trauma and monster rats. This is good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HaruhiToy



Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 4118
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ugh, I hate the male lead.

Hikari reminds me of Eren in Attack On Titan -- he spends the entire first episode being angry about something. Many people have remarked on that and I expect the same here. And in particular he never stops giving Manaka a hard time.

That aside this one is weirdly attractive. Logic is completely out the window here. I can think of no reason why the undersea world should in any way resemble the over-sea world yet they make it look like just a neighboring village. Pretty but illogical.

Why do they have walkways and steps when they can just swim/fly at will? At Manaka's house Hikari doesn't even bother using the front door -- just swims up to her second floor balcony.

Why would they bother with clothing designed for land use?

How the hell do you make a soup under water? Yeah the magic fire part I get but you would think the soup would just disperse into the surrounding "atmosphere."

That prank/curse the kami fellow played on Manaka was really mean, and rather gross. I would have thought that Hikari would have or should have just marched back to the shrine and demand it be reversed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WhiteHairGirls



Joined: 27 Apr 2011
Posts: 4710
Location: New York City
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:06 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Ugh, I hate the male lead.

Hikari reminds me of Eren in Attack On Titan -- he spends the entire first episode being angry about something. Many people have remarked on that and I expect the same here. And in particular he never stops giving Manaka a hard time.

That aside this one is weirdly attractive. Logic is completely out the window here. I can think of no reason why the undersea world should in any way resemble the over-sea world yet they make it look like just a neighboring village. Pretty but illogical.

Why do they have walkways and steps when they can just swim/fly at will? At Manaka's house Hikari doesn't even bother using the front door -- just swims up to her second floor balcony.

Why would they bother with clothing designed for land use?

How the hell do you make a soup under water? Yeah the magic fire part I get but you would think the soup would just disperse into the surrounding "atmosphere."

That prank/curse the kami fellow played on Manaka was really mean, and rather gross. I would have thought that Hikari would have or should have just marched back to the shrine and demand it be reversed.


Easy. When in doubt just say it is magic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette



Joined: 18 Sep 2005
Posts: 4136
Location: Ottawa, Canada
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:45 am Reply with quote
The concept of this one is enough to keep me watching for now, though the rest of the story is so far rather generic. Though at least is isn't generic in a way that is annoying for me (I tried out Coppelion as well but I'm so sick of the character types being used in it that I gave up halfway through). I'm not super engaged yet but enough for another episode at least.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Chiibi



Joined: 19 Dec 2011
Posts: 4032
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't paying attention to this one until my friend posted .gifs on her tumblr and the animation and art is so yes. :'D

I like the concept too. I shall return later to post my thoughts once I've grabbed the first ep.

Quote:
Hikari reminds me of Eren in Attack On Titan -- he spends the entire first episode being angry about something. Many people have remarked on that and I expect the same here.

Oh, that's all the better. I love male characters with sticks up their butts. Because then you know the goal of everyone who meets them to make them laugh at something. :'D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rhyono



Joined: 03 Dec 2011
Posts: 1039
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't like slice of life/school life animes, usually. It takes something pretty out of the ordinary for me to watch it. This one is certainly unusual, so I'll give it a chance.

Chiibi wrote:
I wasn't paying attention to this one until my friend posted .gifs on her tumblr and the animation and art is so yes.


This is what I imagine whenever I see emphasis on "yes" ever since that anime...

Chiibi wrote:
Oh, that's all the better. I love male characters with sticks up their butts.


That gives me such a bad visual...

HaruhiToy wrote:
Hikari reminds me of Eren in Attack On Titan -- he spends the entire first episode being angry about something. Many people have remarked on that and I expect the same here.


I saw the similarity as well. Eren was soon given many legitimate reasons for his chronic angst. This one will be mad about his school shutting down and having to deal with new people. Hardly comparable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Chiibi



Joined: 19 Dec 2011
Posts: 4032
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:


Chiibi wrote:
Oh, that's all the better. I love male characters with sticks up their butts.


That gives me such a bad visual...


.........oh, I could be so evil about this....>:'D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
WhiteHairGirls



Joined: 27 Apr 2011
Posts: 4710
Location: New York City
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Rhyono wrote:


Chiibi wrote:
Oh, that's all the better. I love male characters with sticks up their butts.


That gives me such a bad visual...


.........oh, I could be so evil about this....>:'D


So Chiibi is this your all time favorite anime scene?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Chiibi



Joined: 19 Dec 2011
Posts: 4032
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote
Lmao...no, but I enjoy that particular anime quite a lot. Anime hyper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ZorgonXtreme



Joined: 23 Feb 2004
Posts: 251
Location: Anchorage, AK
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:50 am Reply with quote
Great concept. I really do like the idea behind the story, though I find the main male lead to be balls annoying--though I'm willing to give him a chance.

In the first episode he's like, "Oh, she's shown me that she sees me as somebody special, too bad I won't move on that." and then gets all pissy when the other kid makes a move. Too slow, pal. Too slow.

Fish-knee terrifies me. If I woke up and had that condition they'd find me on the kitchen floor dead from blood loss and with a hacksaw stuck in the femur.

Also...while the show starts on what is admittedly an ass shot, there's no male fan...service...nevermind. I won't go on about it.

I'll keep watching, yes! The scenery is beautiful and I'm very curious as to what the story will do in the setting provided.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
HaruhiToy



Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 4118
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:31 am Reply with quote
ZorgonXtreme wrote:
Also...while the show starts on what is admittedly an ass shot, there's no male fan...service...nevermind. I won't go on about it.

I am surprised that anyone was even remotely bothered by this. Just how many millions of similar frames of female anatomy do the girl anime fans have to sit through (enjoy or retch or ignore as inclined) as a matter of course? After all the kid is cute and I am perfectly OK if he gets girl fans. I just think he needs to dial back the assertiveness a bit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chiibi



Joined: 19 Dec 2011
Posts: 4032
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
I just finished episode 01.

Yep, definitely like this. The artwork is gorgeous, particularly the scenery and sparkling blue eyes of all the seafolk. The concept is unique too. I can't say this reminds me of anything else. Manaka is adorable. I'm not sure if I like Hikari or not. He's a little overly-controlling with her. I think I like the new boy better. Wink
He has a pretty open mind, doesn't he? Most people would be disgusted or freaked over spoiler[a fish growing on someone's knee] but not him, he decides to spoiler[feed it.]. Anime hyper
I don't like Uroko. He's a pervert. ಠ益ಠ And that was really unfair of him to spoiler[curse her] just because she fought against his perversion. Assface. D:<

I am looking forward to seeing more of this show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ZorgonXtreme



Joined: 23 Feb 2004
Posts: 251
Location: Anchorage, AK
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:20 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
ZorgonXtreme wrote:
Also...while the show starts on what is admittedly an ass shot, there's no male fan...service...nevermind. I won't go on about it.

I am surprised that anyone was even remotely bothered by this. Just how many millions of similar frames of female anatomy do the girl anime fans have to sit through (enjoy or retch or ignore as inclined) as a matter of course? After all the kid is cute and I am perfectly OK if he gets girl fans. I just think he needs to dial back the assertiveness a bit.


I'd like to point out that I am in no way bothered by fan service for females, only that there was just about none of it in this episode. That ass shot in the opening was pretty much it.


Moving on...

The nice boy is a fisherman's son, remember. He seems to be all about aquatic pleasantries.

Also, I'm still wondering....


Was Manaka ovulating?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Merida
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 1610
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Still not giving much of a damn about the kid's love troubles (i'm secretly hoping for a time skip halfway through). Also, why is it always the (emotionally) dense characters everybody's in love with while the (emotionally) smart characters are always the ones who's love is unrequited? I guess the other way around wouldn't make for much drama, but still... Rolling Eyes

But i'm still liking the scenery and that new development at the end of the episode has me interested enough to keep watching for now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 39

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group