• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Lull in the Sea (Nagi no Asukara) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
ah. saw half of it years ago, but stopped when I ran out of English dubbed episodes. been meaning to watch the rest now that language doesn't really matter as long as the subtitles are correct
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote
It was nice to see the 5 of them messing around in that pool. Tsumugu's fascination for the sea arises from spoiler[the fact that his dad used to be a sea person.] That twist in the end was kind of surprising, but then again this is anime so one can't tell age based on appearance.
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
So Hikari proves that he's not a complete idiot. I loved spoiler[Kaname's dig at Chisaki when Hikari said her taste in men sucks.]

So my question was answered when we see that spoiler[they were the only four students at the school. I found it interesting that a 'shortage of descendants' was stressed when talking about what happens when a regular human and a sea person have a child.]
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Biggest shocker in episode 3 was definitely spoiler[that the old man was a sea person].

Also...

All the females in this show are so...attractive. I don't mean completely sexually, either. They're all just so...pretty. Especially Himi's sister.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
I like how the technical explanations of the ena in Ep. 3 makes a lot of sense in filling in some of the logic holes.
spoiler[1) The ena is simply the embryonic sac that becomes part of a sea person's skin.
2) It dries off your clothes instantly by absorbing and storing the water and thus helps prevent dehydration that sea people are more susceptible to.
3) No sea/surface hybrids exist: A cross between any sea x surface pair will just produce a 100% surface human child.]
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:00 am Reply with quote
I think i (partially) need to take back what i wrote earlier about Hikari being emotionally dumb. He's actually pretty good at reading others' feelings for a boy his age, not so much when it comes to his own emotions, but that's no surprise. He's a bit of a hothead but cares a lot about his family and friends, i'm starting to like him quite a bit. Same goes for pretty much everyone else, even Manaka (at least i didn't feel like slapping her quite as much this ep. Wink )!

We also got quite a bit of explanation and plot development which makes me look forward to next week.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:11 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I like how the technical explanations of the ena in Ep. 3 makes a lot of sense in filling in some of the logic holes.

And yet so many more remain. How the hell does a steam iron, television set, and telephone work under water? And since they went to the trouble of acknowledging that their clothes actually get wet, why do you need an iron in the first place? You just have to not pay attention to stuff like that but as a product engineer it's hard.

One thing that isn't illogical but unexplained are those concrete pylons standing in the water and on the hills. They look like an unfinished elevated railway or something. Although the route doesn't seem to make any sense they are so present in the picture I can't help feeling they have some significance to the story itself.

The set artwork continues to be fantastic. Something I never recall seeing before are low camera angle shots that actually show two skies at the same time -- the sky under water filled with fish in it and sometimes boats on top and then the sky above that filled with clouds. The features above ripple with the waves. A joy to watch it makes you want to be there.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:33 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
One thing that isn't illogical but unexplained are those concrete pylons standing in the water and on the hills. They look like an unfinished elevated railway or something. Although the route doesn't seem to make any sense they are so present in the picture I can't help feeling they have some significance to the story itself.

It's an unfinished bridge. By the time the series is over, the bridge will likely be completed (depending on the direction the show goes I guess) which will symbolize the joining of the sea village to the land and vice versa.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I continue to be surprised how much I'm enjoying this show. The character designs are a little too cutesy for my tastes, but I like the backgrounds and the storytelling just feels very consistent and solid. Yea, I'm not too crazy about the idea of some modern conveniences underwater (it feels a little lazy story wise and visually), but I'm not minding it so much because the story has successfully sucked me in that I'm willing to ignore those things. So far this show is my favorite of the season and maybe followed by Galilei Donna. Not what I expected, but all the more pleasing for that reason.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Why do I have a feeling that wasn't the last time we'll see spoiler[fishknee] again on Manaka? Episode 3 was decent though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Past wrote:

And yet so many more remain. How the hell does a steam iron, television set, and telephone work under water? And since they went to the trouble of acknowledging that their clothes actually get wet, why do you need an iron in the first place? You just have to not pay attention to stuff like that but as a product engineer it's hard.
The only thing I can think of is they're doing it on purpose. They'll explain away certain things but for the most part they want to poke fun by trying to make underwater living as surface-world relevant as possible, just because they know it will annoy people like you who can't overlook these details.

I'm actually surprised we haven't seen any type of vehicles in Shioshishio.

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It's an unfinished bridge. By the time the series is over, the bridge will likely be completed (depending on the direction the show goes I guess) which will symbolize the joining of the sea village to the land and vice versa.

How do you figure? I haven't seen any part of it that suggests the route goes under water. It doesn't seem very useful anyway since it seems that the sea people have all the access to the land they want. And only the sea people would be able to use it since it seems the land people can't go under water. (No scuba gear we've seen yet.)

Also, the existing structures look old -- you never see anyone working on them. They drew rebar rust dripping down the sides. It looks like an abandoned project not one under active construction.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I get a big chuckle out of those two little land kids. By the way, I was a bit confused by the ending. Did the less hyper of the land kids ask spoiler[for Hikari's help in breaking up his sister and her land boyfriend - i.e. the little girl's dad?]
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I get a big chuckle out of those two little land kids. By the way, I was a bit confused by the ending. Did the less hyper of the land kids ask spoiler[for Hikari's help in breaking up his sister and her land boyfriend - i.e. the little girl's dad?]

Yup.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
best part was hyper girl spoiler[taking a dig at the media]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 39