• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Lull in the Sea (Nagi no Asukara) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Now you're just being silly. Smile

I'm pretty much forgiving of the show becasue of your first point. Becasue as I remember one person saying about Gurren Lagan, physics doesn't matter in that show because it "runs on awesome." Nagi no Asukara basically "runs on pretty."

Don't try to explain the physics, you can't pick and chose attributes of sea creatures to explain their abilities. Crabs can "scuttle" because they're built that way... and other than a couple rare species that have finny attachments they can't swim. Humans walk underwater with horrible difficulty because they're not built like crabs or squid, etc. And it's been plainly said, these guys are human, not merpeople, not superhuman, not super crabs.

If there's an explanation for why they can do what they can do, and that the world can behave the way it does, it's basically "Sea God" and if there's a reasoning for it, it's because PA Works wanted to draw it that way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
No no no no. The biggest question is how do they use the bathroom? Does it float lol?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

No, actually I'm being serious.

Quote:
And it's been plainly said, these guys are human, not merpeople, not superhuman, not super crabs.

They are humans that were born in the sea, therefore it would make less sense if they had not adapted to the complications a human of land would run into, such as having to move slowly when walking in water.

If a human from the surface had no problem walking underwater like those with Ena...that's when I'll begin to complain. But that situation is not likely to arise since a surface human would drown before reaching the town.
rheiders

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

It's too disproportionate. What do the sea people get from letting their people leave to live on land? The children of those pairings are born without Ena, they can't live underwater. They are being wiped out by depopulation.

Well, I call BS on the depopulation thing...unless every. single. young. woman is leaving to go make babies with a surface dude and I very much doubt that's the case. Does anyone remember them talking about a low birth rate?

I think they mentioned at some point that the reason the sea kids have to go to the surface school is because the sea school no longer has enough students to justify keeping it open. Even if I'm wrong and they didn't explicitly say that, it's something I always assumed based on the fact that their school closed suddenly and even though they merged with the surface school, the main group of four are the only Shioshishio kids mentioned to be going to the surface school (and in fact, the only Shioshishio *kids* we've seen or heard of).
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:50 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

No, actually I'm being serious.

Quote:
And it's been plainly said, these guys are human, not merpeople, not superhuman, not super crabs.

They are humans that were born in the sea, therefore it would make less sense if they had not adapted to the complications a human of land would run into, such as having to move slowly when walking in water.

Yes, in fact it makes no sense. but that is what we have been presented with. Humans that live under the sea that show absolutely no adaptations to living under the sea. By all evidence shown they are of regular size, regular weight, regular strength, speed, stamina, physiology ... except that they can breathe underwater, have Ena to function on land, and can defy water physics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Quote:
maybe, just maybe, walking underwater is supremely stupid

Don't know if you've ever tried it but....guess what?

It is pointless to contemplate real life physics in this story at this point. This universe makes up its own rules.

The way I have started thinking of it is that the underwater world isn't really under water in the way we understand it. You get there by diving under the surface water, but if you have the appropriate blessing you can access that place that surface people cannot access. No matter how much the surface world resembles our "real world" the under water world is a different place with different rules.

Like the wardrobe that goes to Narnia.

Like the 9-and-a-half gate that you need to pass to get to Hogwarts.

Like the ships that follow the "straight path" to Valinor.

That's all it is.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
^^^ Summed up perfectly.

It doesn't need to make logical sense as its fiction. The fact that the people who leave loose their ability to return shows that there is some kind of ability only the selected have.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

An alright episode imo. I am quite grateful that Akari is starting to take up responsibilities and really looking after her kid now. That's a big step forward. It seems like the kids are a bit frightened now that I blame them.

Finally, a spoiler[confession?!] Whoa. Well, the show does have spoiler[romance in it but I got a feeling that Kaname might get rejected.]
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm not quite sure how i feel about the whole spoiler[hibernation thing, yet. But does this mean we're gonna get a timeskip?]

And kudos to Kaname for spoiler[showing some guts, even though he knows that he's probably gonna be rejected!]
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow, so spoiler[Uroko-sama isn't that much of a jerk after all.

And oh my God, when that guy was telling Manaka to pop out babies...]
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow I didn't expect Kaname to be spoiler[the first one to actually confess. But if you think about it, him being the first one to confess makes sense. He is the most level headed out of the group.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Is it really fair for the adults to put expectations on the kids spoiler[to have lots of children when the previous generation had let itself become so small]? And the drop in spoiler[power of the sea god that will cause the ice age could probably also have blame put onto a number of previous generations under the sea since it was their responsibility to keep prayers of the god going]. Uroko especially since he was spoiler[proof of the sea god, clearly he should have tried harder to have them keep the prayers coming] instead of just running away from the problem now.

We might just have a big time skip, I wonder if there will be telepaths.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Hmm I'm in two minds about a spoiler[time skip.] it would be interesting to see the events after but I'm enjoying the dynamics of the land and sea now.

This is just a few random thoughts coming together but I'm thinking the spoiler[Ofunehiki] will go ahead but will not spoiler[stop the salt flakes entirely] instead this will allow spoiler[Manaka to meet the sea god and convince him to stop the salt flakes - I'm not sure how this will increase his powers but he may possibly fall in love with her like he did with the human girl; causing his powers to increase.]

Now back to the episode - was I the only one who shed a tear twice in this episode: during spoiler[Miuna and Sayu's conversation about death and fate] as well as spoiler[Manaka sharing her fears about the hibernation.]

I'm glad Kaname spoiler[confessed his feelings] as someone needs to but I also think he is strong enough and realistic enough to take the spoiler[impending rejection.]

It also seemed like Manaka might be confused about her spoiler[feelings to Hikari] and I have a feeling she asked the sea slug spoiler[if Hikari had feelings for her rather than Tsumugu.]

I'm glad that we now have a little more understanding for Uroko's actions and I am glad he has still allowed them to attend school as to me it would make sense for him to see if the kids can bring about some change on the surface - they have made friends and managed to get the village on board with the Ofunehiki before spoiler[the talks broke down]. I think he needs to look at his own village as they seem to be more hostile and are appear (possibly subconsciously) to push the Oshiooshi residents away from accepting the sea god.

I'm very close to saying that this series is in my top ten - I'm very excited to see how the following episodes unfold.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Is it really fair for the adults to put expectations on the kids spoiler[to have lots of children when the previous generation had let itself become so small]?

I am really feeling that the story is a bit out of sync somehow with the under-sea population being so tiny. The perspective is too skewed.

The surface is an inter-continental civilization with industrialization, transportation systems, technology, government and civil works. Hundreds of millions if not billions of poeple. Living in all kinds of climates.

The under sea world is Shioshishio whose entire population can can fit in a medium size banquet room. They have one fatuous head priest and as far as we can tell four kids of junior high age. The only marriage-age girl we have seen is Akari and she's bailed.

And this is the surviving seed of the whole world? The whole global surface world is supposed to be fixated on what this one 100 person cult is saying about doomsday?

If it came down to it I would give it my best shot at re-populating the world with Manaka but it just doesn't make sense.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:41 am Reply with quote
My guess for a solution would be a repeat of the old tale in a similar form.
spoiler[
The tale says everything was solved before when a human girl from the surface was "sacrificed" or somehow otherwise came to the underwater world to beg the Sea God to save everyone.

So, while the surface people (the kids) performing the Ofunehiki is important I'm thinking there will have to be a sort of real "sacrifice" as well. The key being someone from the surface has to have enough love for the sea (sea god) in order to want to join them below.

...know anyone like that?

I mean, one of the smaller pet peeves that I've voiced is that the two communities aren't as "equal" because surface people can't join the underwater people... but if the tale is true at all, it is actually possible, and a possible solution to the problem.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 39