• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Diabolik Lovers Vampire TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:58 am Reply with quote
Really, Sentai? You can get this but not something like Kuroko no Basuke or Free!? Rolling Eyes

Yeah, so, I watched this anime knowing what it was going to be and I was still utterly shocked and disgusted. Obviously, I'm not the target audience.

Anyway, I have two big complaints about this anime and they're not about the abusive guys.
1. The characters seem flat and one dimensional. Yeah, yeah, I know abuse is the main part of this anime but they have cookie cutter personalities in the anime and doesn't make me interested in them at all. No, adding like 1 minute of flashback does not work.

2. Story. What is the story? From the summaries I read, apparently there should be some kind of plot soon but other than about 30 seconds of foreshadowing, nothing has been revealed so far. I do hope they don't cram everything into the last 2 episodes.

3. Darts. Really? Laughing Darts?
AhomineDaiki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:34 am Reply with quote
I'm angry at all the negativity given to this series because most of you that started this series didn't know what you were getting into, and for that I feel sorry for you all. This anime series is a DO-S anime and I can tell you this now, if you think this is bad, the CDs are worse. I for one, love this series and waited a VERY long time for the anime to air. The voice acting is top-notch, Midorikawa an AMAZING yandere Seiyuu and for all those who just met Hirarin though Free!, he's famous in the drama/talk cd community for his r18 roles. Kaji is great too, I was surprised he can do so good with a screaming bipolar yandere boy. (A very talented man, this guy.)

The characters DO treat Yui like crap, but then again, it DID say in the description that they ARE SADISTIC VAMPIRES, I mean, VERY SADISTIC vampires. (Crazier is the CDs, trust me.) But eventually, if you played or read the walk through of the game, they DO fall for each other and understand each other. So, all in all, even if they do treat her like shit, she ends up falling for one (or, all as a harem in the anime) becoming their "Bride". (I think Yui is a bit of a masochist as well , much more in the CDs and games.)

So, if you don't like this kind of thing: yandere, abusive, sadistic, fan girl service, on the BORDERLINE of r18, don't watch it, read it, or play it. It's not worth your time.

I'm buying this when it comes out of DVD, I need some Diabolik Wifebeaters in my shelf.
mistress_kisara

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:53 am Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
Really, Sentai? You can get this but not something like Kuroko no Basuke or Free!? Rolling Eyes

Yeah, so, I watched this anime knowing what it was going to be and I was still utterly shocked and disgusted. Obviously, I'm not the target audience.

Anyway, I have two big complaints about this anime and they're not about the abusive guys.
1. The characters seem flat and one dimensional. Yeah, yeah, I know abuse is the main part of this anime but they have cookie cutter personalities in the anime and doesn't make me interested in them at all. No, adding like 1 minute of flashback does not work.

2. Story. What is the story? From the summaries I read, apparently there should be some kind of plot soon but other than about 30 seconds of foreshadowing, nothing has been revealed so far. I do hope they don't cram everything into the last 2 episodes.

Are you people done with the "they should have licensed *insert anime here* instead?
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote
AhomineDaiki wrote:
I'm angry at all the negativity given to this series because most of you that started this series didn't know what you were getting into, and for that I feel sorry for you all. This anime series is a DO-S anime and I can tell you this now, if you think this is bad, the CDs are worse. I for one, love this series and waited a VERY long time for the anime to air. The voice acting is top-notch, Midorikawa an AMAZING yandere Seiyuu and for all those who just met Hirarin though Free!, he's famous in the drama/talk cd community for his r18 roles. Kaji is great too, I was surprised he can do so good with a screaming bipolar yandere boy. (A very talented man, this guy.)

I certainly knew what I was getting into. I'm still watching it, but more for the ear candy than anything. None of the characters interest me and the "story" isn't engaging. It's a good thing the episodes are only 15 minutes long.

And FYI, Hirakawa "Hirai Tatsuya" Daisuke got on my seiyuu radar for his role in Kichiku Megane many years ago so I certainly knew him before Free! and have heard him in plenty of BLCDs. I like the guy, but it doesn't mean I think it's awesome when he calls girls "B***** chan." ^^;

I heard some people really gained respect for Kaji after hearing his role in this series. I agree he's a great actor. But again, not my kind of character.

This series is going to rub some people the wrong way. Totally fine for people to like the series, but at the same time people have legitimate reasons for not liking it too. I'm somewhere in the middle. I don't particularly hate the series, but I don't find it compelling either.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:48 am Reply with quote
mistress_kisara wrote:
phoenixalia wrote:

Are you people done with the "they should have licensed *insert anime here* instead?

Because we all know that each and every series is easily interchangeable with another... *rolls eyes*
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
mistress_kisara wrote:

Nope. This happens in every thread when a show gets licenced, no matter what the show is.
nekedo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

I take it you haven't actually watched the show, know anything about the show or the game, or really anything at all.

Seriously. There are lines and Diabolik Lovers crosses them with glee. (btw that review is from someone who is a fan of Otome Games, so its not like its just bashing it because lolOtoge or something. Its truly vile)

I thank you very much for this link. It's one of the most entertaining reads I've come across in quite a while. :3

Kind of makes me wonder how this anime's going to turn out, though.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:24 am Reply with quote
Hey, a lot of females like Fifty Shades. Don't think less of them. Smile
stardf29

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:26 am Reply with quote
Personally, I'm fine with Sentai licensing anime like this, even if I don't want to touch it with a ten-foot pole: as long as it turns out a profit, it just means more money for them to license stuff I actually care about.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:38 am Reply with quote
The premise and actual show are beyond terrible but the animation and designs are lovely and the show si worth watching for morbid curiosity alone. It's horribly stupid and disturbing but it's still entertaining as hell. Taking it seriously is what people need to not do.

Good freaking luck with selling it, though, Sentai. I'm guessing they nabbed DL because of their success with Hakuoki but man are they different sides of the same coin. I don't know who the hell would want to buy it over here. Well... yeah, I do but still. I'm still laughing that Crunchyroll is streaming it. I look forward to the show each Monday but not because it's actually quality material.
animelover2501

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:24 am Reply with quote
I've being searching the net for ages trying to find diabolik lovers in english dubbed but so far i haven't found anything.is there a dubbed version so i can watch it and not sit there reading tiny words at the bottom of the screem \ Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question
hpulley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:04 am Reply with quote
Would be cool if Sentai could bring this out on Bluray since it is only coming out on DVD in Japan which is odd as it is broadcast in HD... Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4