• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Strike the Blood (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
This is usually done via some sort of ass pull *coughtoradoracoughoreimocough*

That's a horrible example. Yeah, there were people who felt that way I suppose, but they were in the minority. And even if you were one of those people who didn't want that coupling, you'd have to be stupid beyond believe to say that their getting together was some kind of "ass pull." It was a totally developed element and only an idiot of the first rank would try to argue it came out of nowhere. Rolling Eyes
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
^The couple from Toradara get my award for most unconvincing couple, zero chemistry and I was just not feeling it, so I can totally see why he thinks it came out out of left field. I personally did not like how the show was handled either.

Quote:
Also did anyone else snicker when imagining the Lion King Organization? Because I totally pictured some dude in a suit standing on a cliff and holding up Yukina for all to see and bow down to.

You are not alone, I was waiting for someone to start singing "Circle of Life" too. I feel cheated without my parade of African prairie animals. Laughing
JustinGallimore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
The first episode was great, and of course a little of fan service sort of, but other than that I like what I've seen [/spoiler]
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
^The couple from Toradara get my award for most unconvincing couple, zero chemistry and I was just not feeling it, so I can totally see why he thinks it came out out of left field. I personally did not like how the show was handled either.

Unless you are going to argue that pretty much no one in the collective cast had proper chemistry for one another in Toradora, I don't see how it is inconceivable for Taiga and Ryuji to be at least be on dating terms after all the crap they have been together through.
"screw it, lets go out together" doesn't seem so unreasonable after several failures of trying to play high school matchmaker for another person.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:48 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
^The couple from Toradara get my award for most unconvincing couple, zero chemistry and I was just not feeling it, so I can totally see why he thinks it came out out of left field.

What you are describing are two different things. People not wanting that couple to get together is an opinion. Saying the fact that couple did come together comes out of "left field" is simply stupid. An intelligent viewer could say, "I didn't like the fact those two got together, but I can see the steps that lead to it even if I didn't enjoy them." I stand by my contention that anyone who can't recognize that is a moron.
Bango

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:53 am Reply with quote
[quote="FenixFiesta"]
Quote:
"screw it, lets go out together" doesn't seem so unreasonable after several failures of trying to play high school matchmaker for another person.

True life, actually. Not only did it happen to me but also to other people I know. The less-romantic version is when you're at the theatre with friends and the movie is absurdly boring that two friends make out. Once the movie's over they go back to like nothing ever happened. True story. I forget the name of the flick but it was some mobster movie. I was bored to tears too but I chose to leave.

I really felt the Toradora end result, likely because very similar happened. The oreimo one pissed me off a lot, but I can't say they didn't properly build it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I stand by my contention that anyone who can't recognize that is a moron.

I'm so glad we could resolve this without personal attacks Rolling Eyes

Anyways, I don't really foresee any problems with Strike the Blood in that regard judging from this first episode. Sure, it might be obvious, but it'll make us appreciate works that don't go for the obvious even more *goes to play Tales of Graces*.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I stand by my contention that anyone who can't recognize that is a moron.

I'm so glad we could resolve this without personal attacks Rolling Eyes

No, look I'm just really tired of stupid comments. I'm tired of people who simply because they aren't on board with a show refuse to acknowledge what is right in front of their face. You weren't cheering for that couple. Okay, fine. But don't take that opinion one step further into Moronland by trying to claim that the show pulled that result out of its ass.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote
And just because some one saw things differently than you doesn't give you the right to insult their intelligence.

I've made lengthy posts about this topic before so I'm not going to repeat myself. My dislike of the couple was caused by what I saw as faulty execution. I didn't see it as faulty execution because I didn't like the couple.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I shouldn't have reacted so strongly. If you're view is that you saw what the show was trying to do but didn't buy it, I see that as a valid opinion even though I very much don't share it. I thought you were trying to say that the result came out of nowhere because they hadn't made an attempt to justify it.

I will learn to moderate my responses one of these days, I really will.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm a moron then. Though in my defense, I'm pretty sure this show was my first experience with the tsundere arctype, where the "signs" aren't the same, ex: verbal and physical assault = "I like you" instead of "I want to hurt you because I'm a "insert expletive here"". So that could be why I remember it as being from left field. I only watched it once and it was a long time ago and not a very memorable experience apparently.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
@ Kruszer - yeah, I'd be willing to bet you'd be more aware of what they were trying to do if you watched it again. Not saying you'd be any more enarmoured with it, just that the intention would likely be clearer.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I liked his attempt to get a way from her by claiming that he spoiler[is Italian]. normally it's American
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I liked his attempt to get a way from her by claiming that he spoiler[is Italian]. normally it's American

Yeah, I laughed pretty hard during that scene. The real question is how does he know the language? spoiler[I don't think they ever mentioned the reason. I mean did he study it, learn it from a movie, or does he speak multiple languages now through some kind of vampiric pool of knowledge he gained by being turned into the 4th?]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I think he was just spouting out random words that are common knowledge.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14