• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Strike the Blood (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 23

*Sees spoiler[Terminator like] entrance*
Don't tell me we actually get to see spoiler[Yukina and Kojou's daughter]? Very Happy Yes!

Since I saw that part a few arcs ago I was really liking the idea, and with spoiler[learning that it was an actual thing] I was quite happy, even more in seeing it in the person. I was grinning like an idiot at small things like spoiler[her running into a door and knew what it was, that she looked like Yukina except for blue eyes that looked like Kojou's]. And we got several lines thrown out about how spoiler[things will change], their dspoiler[aughter was able to stop calling him her father] but kind of messed up with everything else, bar Natsuki for obvious reasons. Especially cool as we got to see that she can spoiler[use abilities of both her parents as a cool hybrid]. Oh and managing to have a spoiler[teenage school girl fight with her same aged mother].

Also voiced by Kana Asumi, that is win.

I am guessing that they are not even meant to be involved in the fight, but will still be about their futures, and spoiler[their daughter will have to also make sure they don't separate]. Natsuki figured it all out, and was trying to spoiler[make sure future was not altered].

I know one episode left, but this episode made me so happy with this series, like they knew exactly what to do.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:17 am Reply with quote
although I'm reeeally annoyed at the the spoiler[supposed future daughter getting all huffy about why Yukina was trying to attack her. I mean girl, can you possibly understand why she'd be mad? You attacked her without warning, left her unconscious and helpless in her underwear, stole her clothes, assumed her identity to get close to Kojou and others... and NOW you want to talk and get upset because she won't listen?] No sympathy for spoiler[your teenager's issues with "mommy."]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
although I'm reeeally annoyed at the the spoiler[supposed future daughter getting all huffy about why Yukina was trying to attack her. I mean girl, can you possibly understand why she'd be mad? You attacked her without warning, left her unconscious and helpless in her underwear, stole her clothes, assumed her identity to get close to Kojou and others... and NOW you want to talk and get upset because she won't listen?] No sympathy for spoiler[your teenager's issues with "mommy."]

Well do you think you think Yukina would have spoiler[listened to a "your clothes, give them to me"]? Then she would have to spoiler[talk to her mother while in the nude, obviously surprise attack and stealing her clothes was the only answer]. Looks like the thing was spoiler[after Kojou so she had to be able to watch him close, and hope that her mother stays out long enough to blow over].
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:40 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Well do you think you think Yukina would have spoiler[listened to a "your clothes, give them to me"]? Then she would have to spoiler[talk to her mother while in the nude, obviously surprise attack and stealing her clothes was the only answer]. Looks like the thing was spoiler[after Kojou so she had to be able to watch him close, and hope that her mother stays out long enough to blow over].

Yes. Yes, I believe it would have made complete sense spoiler[for her to just say "I can't explain where I'm from, but Kojou is in trouble, I need some clothes- "Come with me if you want [him] to live."] in absolutely NO WAY was spoiler[a surprise attack and stealing her clothes the only answer.] There's this weird view in anime (and other action shows) that attacking a person is no big deal if "all you do" is render them unconscious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote
^ That's so very true. Anime is prone to make you fall into descension at some point i guess. There are definitely other options she could have made like just covering up and asking someone if they had any spare clothes.........but apparently such a notion is just to tame for this show.

Now suddenly attacking your mother from the future and knocking her out, THAT'S a good idea. By the way shouldn't she be worried about changing the past by coming to the present? My gut tells me they are going to finally figure out who she is by the end of next episode and that would probably have some huge effects on the future.........oh geez i forgot that i'm not supposed to be taking this show seriously! silly me Rolling Eyes

Bleh I kind of hate that this basically confirms Kojou and Yukina have relations later on since i can't stand Yukina one bit. You can't just give someone a harem and say "Oh btw these two had a kid"! That just kicks everyone who his hoping for other ships in the balls!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Yes. Yes, I believe it would have made complete sense spoiler[for her to just say "I can't explain where I'm from, but Kojou is in trouble, I need some clothes- "Come with me if you want [him] to live."] in absolutely NO WAY was spoiler[a surprise attack and stealing her clothes the only answer.] There's this weird view in anime (and other action shows) that attacking a person is no big deal if "all you do" is render them unconscious.

I guess you also have to understand that it is spoiler[Kojou's kid], so you might expect a little bit of problems. Also we would not have been able to get the fun scene.

And we don't know how delicate the spoiler[time travel is], maybe she thought it spoiler[safer for time stability in trying to not get notice at there being two Yukina around]. Maybe her spoiler[mother has trained her that rough and she considered it a bit of payback], which could be what made her rough spoiler[in the first place on her daughter (time paradox]).

BTW, I am all for Kojou x Yukina route, but I don't spoiler[think these turn of events count out that he ends up with a harem, since he is pretty much allowed one]. Maybe "Doc" spoiler[needed a sample]? Or with spoiler[Sayaka caring so much about both of them worked out well for a threesome]? And spoiler[La Folia seemed interested in using him to get an heir].
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
that was pretty fun. spoiler[Yukina] winning has been an obvious outcome from the start, so seeing their future was cool. though, I have no doubt the lucky bastard has himself quite a harem and probably more spoiler[badass children] to protect his kingdom, so everyone is probably a winner.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
You would expect different eye colors and a different voice to be a big warning sign. Based on how she reacted with everyone else except Koujou and when she said spoiler[ "It just wasn't like what I'd heard..." about him touching her], I think it is safe to say he spoiler[dies in the future and she never got to meet him.].

Someone posted this gem on the site I was watching this-

Koujou:...is she my spoiler[daughter]?
Himeragi: IE Senpai, she is OUR spoiler[daughter]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 24/Finale:

Whoa, Sayaka sure has changed quite a bit in regards her relationship with Akatsuki in a long way since I first saw her in the show. At any rate, looks like this wraps up the arc which was only 2 episodes. The action felt kinda meh though imo. I also felt somewhat trolled what spoiler[Sayaka said to Yukina regarding that message she received. Poor Asagi though...she wasn't able to say what was on her mind because of that stupid phone. Sigh.]

I'm not sure what to rate this tbh. What I am sure though is spoiler[that the girl that appeared in this final arc is pretty much confirmed to be the daughter of Akatsuki and Yukina. Hell, I think I even saw her fangs during the fight before the state of her vampire being was revealed after the credit song.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Nice that the cast got together for one last beat down. This arc was based off a recent short story and as such a lot got added to it. The original was just spoiler[Reina going back and meeting the others as shown in episode 24, but she gets sent back immediately once Yukina shows up and hits her with her spear. Then it's the scene of Reina talking to Moegi.]

I'm not too sure on what this means, but that last scene left out something that the original pretty much spelled out: spoiler[Moegi is described as having fangs, and it's noted that 'Kojou-kun' is what family calls him.] So don't be too upset, spoiler[Asagi] fans Wink

Speaking of spoiler[Asagi], maybe she does have some kind of power because her eyes clearly glow in this episode (they've done so before, but it might have just been monitor glare). Either that or she's under the influence of a geass.

So I'm quite fond of this show. I like the look, I like the characters, and the dynamics are fun. It does suffer from typical light novel adaptation pacing problems, though. I'd definitely read the novels if they were translated.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 24

I have been very happy with this last, and nice way to finish it off, personally it looked like the both go it. And if not mistaken, I got the feeling that spoiler[Reina and Moegi were half sisters], so spoiler[harem ending] confirmed, and he spoiler[does not die], Reina was spoiler[trolling a bit]. Also think that the end was implying that the city indeed becomes the spoiler[Fourth Progenitor's Empire, what with it being called the Empire of the Dawn].

Would I be happy with it ending there? Well more than most such adaptions it gives an idea for the future, but also no definite close that comes from most light novel adaptions. I would be happy with more. A series I feel like connecting this to is A Certain Magical Index, as they have very similar themes or tones. In comparison I think that Strike the Blood did not have an as bright spark as Index, it was a lot quieter compared to Index being allowed and trying to wow you. But Strike the Blood also avoided most problems I have with Index, Kojou rarely got too unfair treatment in ending up in situations or misunderstandings, and yukina actually turned out to be a great heroine, and not annoying.

Pacing was a bit of a problem in the series, it tended to make the scaling of situations hard to grasp, but the characters were mostly likable and there was good action. Emotional stuff kind of struggled at places, but fanservice did not usually feel to intrusive, and I think most character centred comedy worked. I rate it Very Good, but also say that it was very on the whole something easier to watch than other such shows, I think the romantic stuff flowed a little easier. Also had some fun ideas in it too, even if they did usually come very quickly.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:41 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
A series I feel like connecting this to is A Certain Magical Index, as they have very similar themes or tones. In comparison I think that Strike the Blood did not have an as bright spark as Index, it was a lot quieter compared to Index being allowed and trying to wow you. But Strike the Blood also avoided most problems I have with Index, Kojou rarely got too unfair treatment in ending up in situations or misunderstandings, and yukina actually turned out to be a great heroine, and not annoying.

I also found this to be very similar to A Certain Magical Index. Overall it was a very fun series, ended up giving it a good rating. Somehow I really liked Kojou just like I really like Kamijou Touma. I liked his VA in particular a lot. Somehow a really fitting voice for Kojou. Now I just have to pray really hard for a second season.....
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:42 am Reply with quote
And of course, Moegi was spoiler[drinking blood through a straw from that glass.]
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:13 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
A series I feel like connecting this to is A Certain Magical Index, as they have very similar themes or tones. In comparison I think that Strike the Blood did not have an as bright spark as Index, it was a lot quieter compared to Index being allowed and trying to wow you. But Strike the Blood also avoided most problems I have with Index, Kojou rarely got too unfair treatment in ending up in situations or misunderstandings, and yukina actually turned out to be a great heroine, and not annoying.

I also found this to be very similar to A Certain Magical Index. Overall it was a very fun series, ended up giving it a good rating. Somehow I really liked Kojou just like I really like Kamijou Touma. I liked his VA in particular a lot. Somehow a really fitting voice for Kojou. Now I just have to pray really hard for a second season.....

Heh. I'm writing a review on this one, and this is the exact comparison I was planning to make, too. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:34 am Reply with quote
So , after watching every episode of this, my question is this--does this series have an actual storyline, or is it just a defeat the next bad guy kind of series? Regardless, the series wasn't amazing in any way and I only found one of the characters to be likeable (bet no one can guess who Wink). It was funny at some points, but I found almost every moment with Himeragi to be poorly written and annoying. Of course, maybe my dislike for the show is also based on my dislike for any series that has a ridiculously obvious end couple :p I'll give it a GOOD for what it is--standard harem. Also, the series tried WAAAAY too hard to get some shock factor. I mean, how many times did someone "die" in this series??
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14