• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Red Meat

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlaking

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They currently don't even bother posting their schedule on their website.

A simple check of the FUNimation Channel's website would prove that statement incorrect (here and[urlhttp://funimation.tv/schedule_oldschool.php] here[/url]).

Last edited by jlaking on Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the reduction of Engrish in more recent anime productions: we have, in part, Dan Kanemitsu to thank:

"Dan’s Recent Projects of May 2013 and Work Description" (May 25, 2013)

Presumably there are others like him.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Glad Toonami got brought up by a few, I love having it back.

enurtsol wrote:

Yeah, I already subscribe but this is a very nice feature that might have gotten me to if I weren't already for when I inevitably miss stuff.

doc-watson42 wrote:
Regarding the reduction of Engrish in more recent anime productions: we have, in part, Dan Kanemitsu to thank:

"Dan’s Recent Projects of May 2013 and Work Description" (May 25, 2013)

Presumably there are others like him.

Cool.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:50 am Reply with quote
Ah, I'm quite happy to find out more about the credits situation with companies... even if it seems to be an issue largely coming from Sentai's end. Thanks! Since getting my first Sentai BD late last year, I've been aware of how much they rushed things...
jsevakis wrote:
I've had voice actors tell me tales of recording over there that have made my hair stand on end: they plow through those recording sessions at a BLINDING pace. I'm going to take a wild guess that they're sometimes getting a little sloppy in keeping notes of who plays what role, particularly in smaller, one-episode parts.

...But man. Ouch! So rushed production has a reach farther than I thought, then, even in terms of mishandling dub credits. If that wild guess you made about possible note-taking sloppiness is anywhere close to being true, though, could some of the re-casting choices of secondary supporting have actually been made by mistake? (I'm looking at Penguindrum as an example, some important supporting roles were changed halfway through, like Sanetoshi and Tabuki. Then again, could that just have been a combination of a new ADR director's casting choices for the 2nd half and scheduling conflicts that were exacerbated by a rushed timetable?)

As the one that originally sent that question, I kind of regret not specifically asking about how companies besides Sentai handle it, though I was considering it. As it's been noted by PurpleWarrior13, Aniplex USA hasn't completely matched all their shows' VAs with their characters, and companies years ago didn't fully credit their shows either. In those cases, could it be/have been related to unions (or lack thereof)? And/or even just because of the company's own "whimsy?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:18 am Reply with quote
Look I know for some head scratching reason people actually care about dub voice actors here in the US, I still shudder when I went to an anime con where voice actors had longer lines than actual series creators for God's sake, but I don't.

To me there are only a handful of people that have any value, the original creator of the source work, and then those in the higher positions like director, producer, and lead animator. You know these are the individuals who are actually responsible for the work. Without them the voice actor would not even have a job. I could care less about Joe Bob Smith doing a dub of work and being correctly billed. To me an english voice actor is about as important as the guy sweeping Sentai's or Funimation's hallways.

So honestly if Sentai keeps on releasing its shows on time unlike say funimation, I could care less if the voice actors of a dub that I won't even watch get credited.
zatheus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:27 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
zatheus wrote:

After some time past, due to work and some personal issues, I missed enough showings that I just was not available to catch up with some shows that I was behind on.

animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2013-09-19/24/7-neon-alley-anime-channel-debuts-on-demand-web-catch-up-feature

Enurtsol thanks for the info, can't believe I missed that. I have caught up with the series I wanted to so as nice as this info is, it is still too little, too late for me. Also it doesn't help matters that I own most of those shows so paying 6.99 to watch commercials with shows I already have, doesn't feel like it is worth it.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
6 hours of anime per week is definitely enough for a station to handle. Trying to fill 24 hours per day for 7 days, on the other hand, would result in a lot of trouble and extraneous funds required for having to round up all of those licenses from different companies. Even Neon Alley has to repeat a lot of shows because there simply aren't enough out there. FUNi at least has their own catalog to take from. So, I'm happy with all the love Toonami is getting, because without them, I can't imagine myself being here with all of you to talk about these amazing shows.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia's credits are not quite as bad as the questioner puts it. There's more than just the four leads. Pretty much all of the named episodic characters are accounted for, except for Momoe's two friends and Yuuko Kirishima's three followers. The show really doesn't have many noteworthy minor roles and in some episodes its just the main characters. Still, some of Sentai's series are just plain bad with the English VA cast (biggest annoyance: unchanging episodeless credits with only the major roles like Aniplex also does). I definitely agree with him that I wish Sentai were as thorough as FUNimation tends to be, or as ADV was back in the day (particularly any show ADR directed by Kyle Jones).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
The answer about va credits reminded me of the credits Pioneer made for the Tenchi Muyo OVA1. Just about every name listed was a pseudonym as they were all union members doing it on the side. Laughing
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:28 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
companies years ago didn't fully credit their shows either. In those cases, could it be/have been related to unions (or lack thereof)? And/or even just because of the company's own "whimsy?"

A lot of it was just routine. It was very standard for American cartoons to just list the voice actors alphabetically on the credits until the early-mid 90s regardless of union status (few American toons are non-union anyway). It was because voice actors weren't seen in the same light as on-camera actors, so the idea of them "playing" their characters was different enough for them to affect how they're credited. Also considering how many of them played multiple roles more frequently back then, it was easier. It was definitely more anonymous. Few knew who their favorite characters were voiced by. Looney Tunes and The Flintstones were exceptions, and both were among the first to properly credit their voice actors.

Anime was just keeping that standard, and when our cartoon credits changed as voice actors became more known and appreciated, anime followed suit.

In cases were voice actors were completely uncredited, it likely did have to do with them being non-union. G-Force is a good example of this. Though for shows like Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd Gig and Lupin III, I have no idea since neither credited any dubbing staff at all (and the former was union).

Even FUNimation "listed" the voice actors back in the day for DBZ. Viz still does it to this day.

Mohawk52 wrote:
The answer about va credits reminded me of the credits Pioneer made for the Tenchi Muyo OVA1. Just about every name listed was a pseudonym as they were all union members doing it on the side. Laughing

On the original VHS release. The DVDs (both Pioneer and FUNimation) feature the real names properly credited, which took effect after the show went union. However, Universe, Tokyo, and Movies 2-3 had the list credits again, just with real names. However for some reason, the supporting characters' VAs weren't credited (and a couple are unknown to this day).
RHorsman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
FUNi is on U-Verse, but on one of the way-up-there packages of channels nobody gives a crap about. By the time you're in that level of channel additions, you're probably just looking for HBO, Starz, Cinemax, or Showtime.

Yeah it's in this weird "HD only" package that's not really premium ( in the HBO, Starz, etc. sense), but not really basic either. Also has a handful of other fairly obscure channels like Palladium.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Just a note to Jamil about G4: that channel's basically toast, so unless there are hardcore Cops fans, I think its viewership has stalled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kenshinflyer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:54 am Reply with quote
Hmm...why didn't I see this weeks before?

Anyway, here in the Philippines, there is a 24-hour dedicated anime channel aside from ANIMAX, and that's HERO TV. Contrary to "the utopia that never quite came to pass" notion Justin has mentioned, it's actually making a killing because of a sweet addition to the formula: no, not snatching a few goodies from ANIMAX (namely the entire Index and Railgun franchises) or managing to score stuff ANIMAX may have skipped or dare not air (like Shiki, Hanasaku Iroha, and Death Note), but localized dubbing. But, yes, despite these pockets of triumphs, it's having a hard time with ANIMAX because of two snags: they don't have the ability to simulcast, and they are restricted to cable TV networks only (leaving those hooked up to direct-to-home services with ANIMAX and TeleAsia--another channel that airs anime but not full-time, but carries old titles as well as ones previously aired on ANIMAX, which anime fans here keep requesting).

Well, for as long as Crunchyroll keeps fresh titles out of Filipino anime fans' reach (the only ones only accessible on Crunchyroll during its Japan premiere would be Naruto Shippuden, Fairy Tail and Ixion Saga DT); and for as long as not one dares run a Video-on-Demand service in the Philippines (nearby Malaysia has one, c/o ANIMAX), even if they have credit cards, this will go on.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:29 am Reply with quote
So Hero TV (sounds like the show from Tiger & Bunny) dubs anime in Tagalog?
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Dammit, I thought this was a new Answerman.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2