• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim All-Anime Night Features FLCL Full Run

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:19 am Reply with quote
Both FLCL and Eva are a special breed. I've seen both shows several times; and each time I do, I always pick up something new. Whether it's something I never noticed before, or something that is given a little bit more clarity. To me, that is what's so appealing about these shows.

Even though I own the DVDs and have seen FLCL probably twenty times, I'll be there Sat night to watch it again. I know I'll pick up something.
Steve007101

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:12 am Reply with quote
Well first up, just so I've said this at least once here, Eva in my opinion has some of the weakest usages of it's references I could possibly comprehend. Although, that might also be my perspective of it now, obviously considering it's the first time I've seen it (well, when it came out on AS) and I'm sure it had much more general appeal when it first came out but I will say, in all honesty they ruined the potential their general "elaborated" style was going for in my opinion. It was just weak in general in trying to psychologically dissect their fairly flat/predictable characters, or at least weak minded (in Shinji's case).

Now that that's out of the way, FLCL I do think is a nice piece of work, a vague yet effective story with just generally bizarre elements always make for good fun when done right, and it delivers pretty well. Considering the fact that it's probably the shortest series AS has had and one of the best, I think it was an excellent move to have a full marathon of it.

Now, as for the mention to Inuyasha, I will be honest, long ago it got caught in a plot circle that generally ties it's appeal down at least semi-steeply. I practically saw most of the episodes at once when I made the jump to fansubs and then one a week consistently until it ended back in 04. I watch it a bit on AS now and must admit I have forgotten some of the late plot elements in the anime, they definitely were a good nod, but I also think where the anime ended was best considering after that part it just got more redundant, so props to Inuyasha for not falling victim to total plot circling itself and staying above decent, just can't wait until it ends here, can't imagine what will happen. If they showed some of the excellent filler-comedy episodes in the line up I'd have been more than happy though.

Let's face it, Trigun and Cowboy Bebop are solid choices but are by far (to my knowledge, not personal knowledge mind you) overused on AS. It would have been better off to run with less run shows. Honestly for one I think Gundam Seed should get more attention, it's one of the few animes on ANN to get full grades along with the very best of them, it deserves much more of a look at in contrast to it's short run (although I'm saying this also based on my experience with the sub, not the dub). And since Samurai Champloo isn't that over used yet, I think it being in the line up was an ok choice. Fullmetal Alchemist though, I do agree should have gotten something more along the lines of one of the significant later episodes, say the last ones especially.

Eureka 7, never really seen it. But from what little I know, it's newer than most of their anime so it's worth a shot. Same to more GITS:2G, except I do know that's definitely an excellent choice. I'd give it to Kikaider as well, it's definitely a classic as far as I'm concerned but it's been too long to jump back for a couple episodes, let sleeping dogs lie for this one. Big O? Not the best choice either if you ask me, it didn't really have anything making it that unique. Bobobo-bobo-bobo? Heck I need to watch that more, I've only seen a bit but it definitely seems like a good anime. Never saw Witch Hunter Robin, Paranoia Agent, or Wolf's Rain hardly at all, if my judgment of 3 minutes total of it is anything, and for me that's usually enough to get a solid opinion on it, Witch Hunter Robin and Wolf's Rain are nice but not solid enough, still they're more solid animes than most of what I skipped over though I'm willing to say, aside from Trigun and Cowboy Bebop that is.

And yes, Chuck Norris is so popular, he's talked about in connection with his show, over 15 years old now (I'm assuming), on an anime forum. And careful there Ninja337, you can't spell Norris without 2 r's for both of his legs to roundhouse kick you in the face.

-Steve007101
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SomeVito

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:30 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
I want my Eureka Seven Anime cry

It looks like you can still catch a new episode on the Adult Swim Fix. I just checked a second ago and on the premieres at the bottom it had “August 4 - Eureka Seven: Sky Lock Gate” which I believe is the next episode.
Tondog38

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:50 am Reply with quote
I would have done a full run of 12 Oz Mouse and Perfect Hair Forever. Any other time would be random episodes of Space Ghost.
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:51 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

I'd say you watch too much television.

[adult swim] needs to show their older material earlier so I can catch it before hitting the sack. Lord only knows I have grown tired of watching Inu-Yasha run itself into plot circles.
Now here's the kicker. The only show I have seen on AS in the past few months is Pee Wee Playhouse, and a few of the new Tom Goes the Mayor once. While I can understand there is a couple people out there that hasn't seen much or any of the voted shows, it does get rather boring see the same shows over and over and over again.

I would have like to seen their big hit, one run series like Witch Hunter Robin and Wolf Rain get their shot again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
herbkir

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:55 am Reply with quote
The contest winner was limited to the shows currently under license by AS. Wolf's Rain, Kikaider, WHR and other older anime titles aren't anymore. Gundam SEED was never an AS-licensed show. It was under CN license, edited to kid-level viewing standards. (^_*)
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:25 am Reply with quote
DELETE DELETE DELETE DELETE.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
lion-san

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:12 am Reply with quote
its really nice that a Otaku won the contest this year
not bad choices but i would of went old school more with it
adding lupin III etc to the mix Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steve007101

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:46 am Reply with quote
Lupin III I totally forgot about, assuming it's still liscened it would be another very good one. And yeah, so what if AS never had Gundam Seed? If they could use a less edited one then more the marrier. And hey, AS and CN are still the same network more or less. Gundam Seed is probably one of the best all around animes they could possibly (plausibly) show in my opinion and I will reaffirm it even more since it never had a good enough chance to begin with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
qollocust

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:13 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome, except for that fact that it is during Otakon. Oh well, I guess I can try and tape it.
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Fairly good choices, IMO. But I would've chosen titles like Gundam 0079, Gundam Wing, Lupin III, etc. How does a person enter this yearly contest AS has? I wanna enter, lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I actually like this lineup. Champloo on later, No InuYasha and Thank God No Eureka Seven! Very Happy

I like FLCL, Bebop(especially those 2 episodes) and Paranoia Agent will be nice to watch for a bit until I hit the bed.

For this first time in weeks, I will watch Adult Swim. Very Happy

With all this junk they have now, FLCL will be a breath of fresh air for me.
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:47 pm Reply with quote
herbkir wrote:
The contest winner was limited to the shows currently under license by AS. Wolf's Rain, Kikaider, WHR and other older anime titles aren't anymore.

OK, this I wasn't sure about. I knew that AS lost their rights to air Wolf's Rain, but I didn't know they lost the rights to broadcast WHR as well. It's too bad because I was discussing this lineup with one of my fellow co-workers and I brought up the idea that it would be great if AS would bring back WHR in the future. Hopefully they can find some way to retain the rights, but if they can't then that's OK with me. I plan to purchase the WHR Anime Legends collection when it streets on October 24.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:06 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty happy about them showing all of FLCL again. For some reason the forces of the cosmos have aligned against me on that show and I have never been able to see all of the last episode. The first time I watched it AS aired the first 5 episodes over 5 weeks and then either just switched to something else on week 6 or moved it to a different time and I missed it. The next time they ran it the power went out half way through episode 6 so I missed the end again!

Looks like the old VCR is going to get a work out this weekend. Now if I can just avoid power outages, tapes breaking, VCR programming brain farts or any other problems maybe I'll finally get to finish this series!
Disco Pete

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:27 am Reply with quote
Lately, I felt like there was something... lacking ...in my life.
I was FLCL-deprived.

Now, I'm combating this serious condition by watching my DVDs again, but what about those without FLCL DVDs or a DVD player? This FLCL marathon is a Good Thing, and the winner of the contest should be thanked.

And you can bet I'll be watching. Good Stuff!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4