• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mahōka Kōkō no Rettōsei Anime Gets Anime With Yūichi Nakamura, Saori Hayami

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Impulsar wrote:
Oh finally, but the harem tag is actually quite questionable...

There are some girls who take an interest to Tatsuya but MKNR definitely isn't a harem show, except if they decide to make it into one xD

Anyway, it's very possible that MKNR is going to lose a lot of it's awesomeness due to the adaptation not being able to quite get the characters' personalities right -especially Tatsuya who has tons of internal monologue-.

At least this is going to be a really cool magic sci-fi anime if all else fails haha =3

By my count, there is the spoiler[

- the president of the student council - her family status is the only thing from keeping her back
- the sister - this is one of the few where I think the sister is actually considered a serious contender
- the sister's friend - she actually confesses
- american war mage
and there could be plenty of others, including the fan of silver, his cousin (she liked him a lot when they were kids until her parents stepped in and we haven't seen them since), the red head and glasses girl (I think its obvious both liked him to some degree but just felt they weren't good enough so they are pared with the spares), etc. ]

by the loosest definition a harem only takes 3 girls showing some interest and that is present here

btw why does every God dam website have to have a different system for spoiler tags, its pretty irritating trying to remember what the method is for each respective site

Last edited by CrownKlown on Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Fix your spoiler tags (there's no s).

There's far more characters who have no interest in him then there are that do. Heck, and only one of them is actually seriously persuing him.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Fix your spoiler tags (there's no s).

There's far more characters who have no interest in him then there are that do. Heck, and only one of them is actually seriously persuing him.

Look it does not matter if there are more girls not interested than are interested. No bleeping show would ever be a harem in that case because there are billions of women and even in Index he only has 10,000 plus.

That is not the definition of harem, its simply put that at least 3 girls are interested, not pursuing, interested. And he has at least 4 that are seriously interested but are either held back by family status, blood, or his lack of emotions. Its still a harem.

You have to realize a show can be a harem and something else. Index is a harem. Its also a sci fi fantasy show. This work is the same, its a harem, and its also sci fi/fantasy. Its not a hard concept to work out.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't saying it's not a harem. However it avoids certain aspects harem haters complain about the most.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I wasn't saying it's not a harem. However it avoids certain aspects harem haters complain about the most.

Except for the fact that its an LN with a generic everydude protagonist, told from his first person perspective and ends up with half a dozen plus girls fawning over him for no particularly good reason, including his almost-twin-sister.

So in short its everything thats terrible about Light Novels.
Momokochan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:22 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!

Funny, because the novels always describe Tatsuya as being pretty unremarkable looks wise.

Really? Then the animation team made a better decision than the self-absorved original author. This guy looks (on animation) as one of them Free! guys. Good for the animation department!
senbonzakura

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:57 am Reply with quote
Harem is very ambiguous. If we are going by the old school definition, it is where the girls are fawning over or shows romantic interest towards the male protagonist. But these days, just even if she is interested, despite being as a friend or a lover, it is already categorized as harem.

Either way, if the story is really good or not, it being a harem shouldn't stop us from liking it!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:46 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Except for the fact that its an LN with a generic everydude protagonist, told from his first person perspective and ends up with half a dozen plus girls fawning over him for no particularly good reason, including his almost-twin-sister.

So in short its everything thats terrible about Light Novels.

Well, it's clear you're working only off stereotypes.

I can't really talk about Tatsuya's character without getting into spoilers, but the novels are written in the 3rd person. While he has a decent number of admirers, it's not for "no particularly good reason" and that part of the series, while present, isn't the main focus.

Momokochan wrote:
Really? Then the animation team made a better decision than the self-absorved original author. This guy looks (on animation) as one of them Free! guys. Good for the animation department!

Well, even in the novel illustrations he looks like that, so there's always been that disconnect Laughing
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:00 am Reply with quote
There is no particularly good reason for every female character to fall over themselves in competition for the male lead. Ever.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
There is no particularly good reason for every female character to fall over themselves in competition for the male lead. Ever.

Depends on who you ask.

For this particular title, though, you can rest easy. As I said, there are far more female characters who aren't interested in him (not to mention have their own love interests) than those that do. And among those that do, there's barely any competition between them. Only one chapter had anything of the sort.

Heck, the sister has far more people fighting over her.
mokporo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Read a few early chapters of this series, but stopped for unknown reasons. Excited when it was announced and the animation looks great, but having read comments saying that it has become a harem type series since my last read chapter, I'm starting to feel slightly questionable. Regardless, will be giving this a try considering Nakamura Yuichi will be voicing the main.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry. Any harem aspect is extremely minimal... Unless the anime adaptation chooses to focus on it in order to be more successful...

Honestly I'd warn people of the incest subtext long before I'd warn them of any harem elements.
larethian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:04 am Reply with quote
Momokochan wrote:
Finally, a harem with a male protag handsome/bishonen enough to make it logical for girls to kill each other on cat-fight induced blood-baths. It was 'bout time. I would even enter the battle.

Hahahaha, nice try. I guess if you are looking for harem animes, you should avoid this one!!!

Splitter wrote:
From that synopsis, my guess is the main guy is Jesus and his little sister is hardcore tsundere for him. Pass.

Even though you are totally wrong, I'd say have a nice day to you and bye. I guess you can quit watching any anime since you must think that you are God at guessing and already know all the plots and everything from a synopsis! Razz

Seriously, is ANN made up of kids? That's why I dislike coming here. But then again, when I come here, I can act like one LOL.

And once again, whoever posted the news, as usual, is clueless about anything. Making assumption that the siblings are twins just because they are both freshmen?? Did you hear that they were twins in the promo video or any of the Dengeki staff at the Dengeki festival. Please stop making such assumptions and find out how schools in Japan work. It's possible to be born in different years and be in the same year in school. Pfffft!

To ANN administrators, volunteers or not, you really need the right staff!

Peace
Niflheimr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:23 am Reply with quote
larethian wrote:
Even though you are totally wrong, I'd say have a nice day to you and bye. I guess you can quit watching any anime since you must think that you are God at guessing and already know all the plots and everything from a synopsis! Razz

Oi oi! Don't glance over the passing judgement over a less correct synopsis at that Wink

I honestly wonder who in this thread read the novels. Can name two, possibly a third, based on comment content.

CrownKlown wrote:
Look it does not matter if there are more girls not interested than are interested. No bleeping show would ever be a harem in that case because there are billions of women and even in Index he only has 10,000 plus.
You mean all thoes eroge based series don't exist? Oo The world that MKnR is a harem in is one where you created a defenition of a harem to make it fit.
iamadooddood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Mahōka Kōkō no Rettōsei Anime Gets Anime

Wut.

Other than the twins part (which they are not), "poor grades" needs to be clarified. His theory scores are actually the highest (even higher than his sister's, in fact), and the reason he became a weed is purely because of abysmal practical scores.

That said, he's anything but a weak protagonist, it's just that the way his practical skills were tested didn't truly calculate his skills well. How good is he? Let's just say that anyone who dares call him weak will end up eating their words when they actually fight him.

Of course, anyone reading even one chapter of the novels (or manga) will know that his sister is anything but tsundere. Think Unbreakable Machine Doll's Yaya without the beating up of Raishin part.

If you want to call this a harem, it might count, but if it does it's a supporting one at best, since Miyuki's clearly the main girl.

Niflheimr wrote:
I honestly wonder who in this thread read the novels. Can name two, possibly a third, based on comment content.

Me. I read up to volume 4 before I got cut off by an incomplete novel volume.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3