• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wanna be the Strongest in the World! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's not that bad.

Then again maybe it is.

That's a good point. Sakura isn't going to be either a wrestler or an idol in wheel chair.

Quote:
And Sakura - give up wrestling, you useless tool. if you're having this much trouble with some chick who has virtually no ring experience and has only managed to squeeze in some training sessions in between her "murderous" Sweet Diva schedule, then you truly are in the wrong business.

That was just her being totally slow on the uptake as usual. It has been repeatedly demonstrated that she has to be put in extreme pain repetitively before she can decide gee maybe I should do something other than what I have been doing. That kind of nearly autistic single-mindedness/tunnel-vision might actually be a good trait for an extreme performer, but they sure haven't succeed in making it any fun to watch.

I had to turn off the sound again to escape all the hentai screaming -- barely escaped a headache this time.

Of course I think Elena has proved herself a superior athlete to Sakura -- you can hardly blame her for wanting to get the dumbass back on the Diva stage to beat her in the center idol election. Being rated second to a bonehead like that would drive anyone with talent insane.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
That was just her being totally slow on the uptake as usual. It has been repeatedly demonstrated that she has to be put in extreme pain repetitively before she can decide gee maybe I should do something other than what I have been doing.

That was true for a certain chunk - it was obvious Sakura was holding back because Elena is - ha, ha - her "best friend." However, at a certain point she FINALLY switched over to "getting serious" mode and got a few shots in but overall was still pretty useless. All the better to stretch this ridiculous bout over two eppies, of course.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
wow, I haven't been this uncomfortable watching something since Brain Jacker
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:53 am Reply with quote
ep.11

spoiler[everyone is shock that elena is blue panther yet sakura why are you doing this cause for elena she want bring her back to sweet diva give this is only way to do yet also how sakura really want wrestling or idol yet elena call for bell start match.

yet elena oh my she do mean business in hard way going after sakura so many attack give same time juri confess to jackal that elena's doing is cause she blame herself what happen to sakura since from rio lost to sakura continue wrestling.

that elena secretly training with miyabi roster & juri also being blue panther yet jackal see this same remind when juri had with misaki but now in sakura & elena.

sakura being slow beat get advice from misaki start make some moves yet elena go so really hard work doing a 619 move yet elena been targeting sakura's leg so much she going kneebar overload attack on sakura.

even so far that elena even ask sakura give up with concern you're knee going break-pop yet sakura still giving NO NO NO yet make her comeback from punches, boston crab, even taste of same medicine to elena on kneebar.

go for sakura flip kick give only 2 with knee damage so far yet sakura trying go finish yet elena counter for juri crush to web lock so much got sakura to pass out & to be continued!!! ]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

Yeah this fight didn't make much sense considering Sakura had a messed up leg that was so bad she couldn't even walk properly last episode.
Feh whatever. Good fight but i'd say it's pretty much impossible to manage being a wrestler and idol at the same time without giving more effort to one or the other. Plus you'd have to deal with possible injuries from overexerting yourself which would screw over everything.

But who cares it's a happy ending! Razz

As for this show as a whole i wouldn't recommend it even to a brain dead Kangaroo.
While there are some good underlying intentions here (like showing how fun and fulfilling it can be to wrestle) they are ultimately overshadowed by the overabundance of cringe worthy moaning, tasteless camera angles and shobby at best animation quality.

I'm sure we've all seen the "underdog that never gives up" appeal plenty of times before. So that aspect did not resonate with me in the slightest. It doesn't help that almost literally the first half of the show is nothing but Sakura losing only to boston crabs.

How Sakura was even allowed to become a professional wrestler in the first place is stupid considering she had absouletly NO experience and any sensible company would not allow someone who hasn't had any experience wrestle and get themselves hurt.

Oh yeah and let's not forget how the world's strongest wrestler for some reason sees potential in someone who has THE WORST losing record in wrestling history when there are plenty of people with average records who would probably do better.

I rated this one Bad and it's easily the worst show i've watched this season. If you aren't a fan of Ryona you more than likely won't find any enjoyment in this show period.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Episode 12

Yeah this fight didn't make much sense considering Sakura had a messed up leg that was so bad she couldn't even walk properly last episode.

Didn't you know it is all an act? This is pro-wrestling you know. Entertainment not a sport as was mentioned a number of times. As you can see they schedule a concert and a match on the same night.

So I guess they turned it into a win-win.

It does seem odd that the wrestler in the Berserk stable that has the worst win/loss record is going global above all the other girls there.

Two top idol/wrestlers don't even rate a ride to the stadium? I guess you can't call them spoiled.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Piledrivers can hurt quite a bit.... Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sylpher3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:40 am Reply with quote
Guess I hold the complete opposite opinion of leatherhead333 (and probably most people).

I never thought I would say this pre-season but this show has been one of the best of the season. It was earlier dismissed as a shallow misogynistic fanservice show by the anime community, yet I personally interpreted it as an entertaining and empowering sports anime. It portrayed the personal journey of a strong hard-working girl facing adversity to reach the top in a sport she came to love, genuine respect and sportsmanship between the female cast and some great intense wrestling action. What benefits the show is the very serious tone which made me believe that the beautiful themes underneath the tasteless camera panning were sincere and not pretentious.

The girls are certainly hot and sexualized, but unlike most ecchi shows they’re not defined by those terms. They mostly act sport-minded, for self-development, for rivalries and friendships - common elements in sports anime. They wear skimpy revealing clothing for their profession yet it’s treated as a non-issue. The way they treat each other is brutal and honest in the ring, but decent, friendly and without hard feelings outside. Also, I didn’t observe any boob groping, sexual explicit marks, sexy or cute poses, stripping, men ogling these girls or quarrels over a love interest, even though there was plenty of opportunity for this kind of pandering. Instead I see determination, confidence, fighting spirit, effort, improvement, guts, sportsmanship but also jealousy, naiveté, underestimation and anger. All of these things speak to me as a sign of dignity and maturity. It humanizes these female characters and makes them interesting to me.
It’s been a long time since I genuinely respect anime girls, especially Sakura, for their actions, mindset and strong personalities.

Wannabe the strongest in the World completely exceeded my initially low expectations. Though I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone, if someone is a rare breed like me (I love sports anime, I don’t mind ecchi and I like WWE), one might appreciate the beauty this show beholds behind the off-putting fanservice. I could’ve done without the disgusting camera shots and excessive moaning, wished it had a higher budget for animation and didn’t like the people-pleasing ending, but it hardly discredits the show’s intrinsic qualities. This show, while exaggerated and filled with clichés, is sincere about wrestling, it is about perseverance, it is about making it to the top and that isn’t disingenuous.

I hope it gets a 2nd season (probably won’t), otherwise I’ll read the manga (if I can find it).
8/10 for this wonderful coming-of-age story.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:43 am Reply with quote
ep.12

spoiler[sakura being on elena web lock looking pass out til misaki wake-up got sakura carry elena slam her down making comeback even drop kick elena to outside for a crossbody splash.

really make it going it got everyone even jackal excited for this entertainment as match go with sakura doing some suplex slam yet elena still fighting doing flip-spin ankle hold.

notice how determine that sakura going elena is same going doing upside down squeze hold even try a moonsault but got knee-gut by sakura yet go for sakura flip kick & for a finish a top rope flying jump spin twist splash for 3 count win for sakura.

match over give elena crying she really wanted sakura come back to sweet diva give not the same without sakura yet other members of sweet diva & some fans also want sakura to come home with sweet diva.

got everyone split side for where sakura to go with idol singing & wrestling yet here come jackal with offer that come with world shangl-la wrestling yet you can do both idol & wrestling for sakura.

give way can do both idol & wrestling give how sakura is so she going do both yet same offer is also asked on elena give wonder on it here juri to tell her do it cause the way elena perform she can do it.

so in agree sakura & elena do both sweet diva & wrestling together all good now top it all let have main sweet diva group reunite for concert together indeed the band is back together.

months later sakura & elena doing both from sweet diva singing life to wrestler in same time. ]

indeed now wait for a dub version of this IF make the call for s2 oh YES YES YES i would jump in the moment for it to happen.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote
right, so beating a dead horse, this was pretty terrible. I've learned that I need to learn how to drop shows. it was kinda amusing at some points, but still very dumb. gave it a bad. now on to the next pile of crap that I wont be able to drop!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9