• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Top 3 Favorite Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:56 am Reply with quote
My 3 favorite manga are Oh My Goddess, Saiyuki, and Battle Vixens. Oh My Goddess was the first manga I ever read so it holds a special place for me. I think it has the perfect mix of comedy, drama, and romance. Saiyuki si just fun. The series is great also. I find the manga sometimes runs together a bit smoother then the anime though. Great action title with a foul mouthed priest who chainsmokes. Gotta love it. Battle Vixens is pure and simple a guilty pleasure. Nice hot women fighting it out and having their clothes torn to shreds in the process. Guilty pleasure all the way. Plus the story isn't half bad in the manga. The anime just fell flat on it's face. Much more depth and an actual plot in the manga.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:17 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne, I would have to say that you were the one that succeeded most in putting down mine three favourite mangas.

I too love Fruits Basket. I believe it to be one of the best stories ever told in mangas and I enjoyed very much each chapter. I liked how even the secondary characters are developed and one gets to know them better. Some of the their stories were even more interesting like that of Uotani and Kureno. But what I liked the most was the fact that the characters were evolving as I was reading and the multitude of the emotions.... Hmmm, just plain great.

The second on my list would be X/1999. I am one of the Clamp fans. I read Tokyo Babylon first and I really wanted to know what happened with Subaru and Seishiro. Here I also found one of my all time favourite characters namely Sorata. He was just the funniest guy. But I think that X/1999 was not so much about the fight for the world and salvation as it was a story about people, about feelings and choices, about the courage to stand up for what you believe in.

The third: Alice 19th and Video Girl Ai. Sorry, I just couldn't make a difference between them. Alice 19th is a story speaking to my heart because I saw myself being like Alice and I needed more courage that's why I like this manga so much (I learned a lot). As for Video Girl Ai... well, it made me cried a lot. It was a wonderful surprise. A fantastic story with credible characters and a depth of the story itself.
yanya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Gacha Gacha: I like this one for a few reasons. First, it's got a great story. Second, it's got a lot of humor in it... and Third, because I found it all on my own! No recommendations on it... no having seen an Anime it's based on. I feel like I accomplished something... I went to the BookStore, looked thru their Manga and found it all by myself. Very Happy

Pastel: This one was recommended to me. Again, great story... not as much humor, but there's certainly a few moments that have made me LOL!

Read Or Die: ... quite frankly, Paper Masters>All of Us. I've loved this series ever since I saw the OVA on Cartoon Network. The Manga was excellent at giving me a little more background on Yomiko... one of the best characters ever! Can't wait for Read Or Dream... assuming that it comes out over here of course.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:36 pm Reply with quote
yanya wrote:
Can't wait for Read Or Dream... assuming that it comes out over here of course.

The license was announced a few months back. Comes out November 21st of this year! Link to announcement of license:

animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=8796

Can't wait!

On topic: My current top three:

Negima!: Hilarious and slightly perverted with a generous sprinkling of kawaii and more girls than a guy like me deserves. Beats it's anime into a pulp in my opinion. Amongst all the humor and fanservice are moments that are deeply moving. This is the apex of "harem" series. (Or is it too good to be a "harem" manga?) The affect that Negi has on his classmates is very interesting to watch. Especially with Nodoka. How she spoiler[grows braver and slowly pulls her hair back from her face (she's so adorable!) because she takes strength from her feelings for Negi.] And Asuna is a great kick-butt heroine, you can't help but like her despite the fact that she's a little dim.

Gunslinger Girl: This will always be one of my favorites. It is a masterpiece in both manga and anime form. The girls are innocent one moment and hardened killers the next, it's a truly gripping series with amazing characters. The relationships between the girls and their handlers are protrayed with such depth and reality, especially Giuseppe (a.k.a. Jose) and Henrietta. More than any of the other girls, Henrietta shows how they can be both efficient assassins and vulnerable, caring young girls. One of the best scenes in this manga, to me, is when Henrietta spoiler[sneaks into Giuseppe's room and picks up one of his shirts. She clutches it to her chest and the look on her face is equal parts longing and sadness.]

For the love of manga, ADV please put out the rest of this manga or at least sell someone else the license! Please!

Claymore: There are many heroic characters in manga and anime, but I think Clare stands above most. She's self-sacrificing on a level that very few characters ever reach. Rather than losing her life, spoiler[it's her last traces of humanity that she will lose if she keeps fighting the Yoma.] The art style of the series reminds me of old woodcut art and while the story can sometimes seem simplistic, it is a very strong and at times, at least for me, moving story. I actually got tears in my eyes when in Scene 11spoiler[Raki wrapped his arms around Clare, telling her that if she was going to die, he wanted to die with her.]
yanya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
The license was announced a few months back. Comes out November 21st of this year! Link to announcement of license:

animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=8796

Can't wait!

... Laughing

(Adds to List 'O Manga To Buy.)

Edit: I just went and looked at Viz's Website... they have it listed for November 14! Very Happy That's like, a whole week better than November 21!
Duo Maxwell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:55 pm Reply with quote
This seems like a pretty convinient thread, seeing as I don't want to make another list like I did on the anime board; thanks!Also, these are in no particular order.

Sgt. Frog- This is probably one of my favorites because of all the referential humor; i.e., the main frog being totally obsessed with building gundam models and talking about gundam in general when he's building. Throw in some political satire and what-not and there you go. Although the invasion is kinda *cough* slow, its still an enjoyable read!

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure- J'sBA sets itself apart from other fighting/action manga because it seems a little more believable. Besides the whole stand(each character's spirit that stands next to them)thing, each character finds their opponents weakness or works together instead of becoming uber powerful each time.

Yakitate!! Japan- To be honest, I've only read vol. 1, but I'm a big fan of cooking and baking. The art, descriptions and story make it almost seem like you could taste the bread being made, call me crazy. I can't wait to read more of it, regardless of reviews that may portray it in a negative manor.
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:10 am Reply with quote
Sigh, everyone is arguing. Can't we all just love each other? Sad

Anyway.

1.Berserk-Like many other people, Berserk is my favourite series. While I'm not one for gore/sex, I find the story simply wonderful, and masterfully written. All of the characters feel like real people, and they change. Instead of just changing from point A to point B, they keep changing.

2.20th Century Boys-Monster gets all of the praise, but goodness, I really think 20th Century Boys is Urasawa's magnum opus (thus far). It has so much heart, and the art is really fun, and at times, cinematic.

3.20th Century Boys-Monster gets all of the praise, but goodness, I really think 20th Century Boys is Urasawa's magnum opus (thus far). It has so much heart, and the art is really fun, and at times, cinematic.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:39 am Reply with quote
Time to get my act together and post my Top 3 manga, before I go to bed.

1. Who else? One Piece takes first place in my book by a long shot, for great character development, comedy, sometimes long but very interesting storylines are some that are even behind the scenes, and the fact that you can always look to what's going to happen next, which no one knows for sure.

2. No doubt in my mind who would be number two, and that can only go to Fruits Basket . This definetly snatches you into a world of life on how you lived it, and what you can do to improve it, and reflect on your mistakes and even make a stand for what you know may hurt, but is right. The comedy is such that can make me laugh on end, and I love how the relationships are developed throughout the lenght of the series.

3. This was a difficult choice to make, but for now I would say that the bronze goes to School Rumble, for delivering on comedy the same level as FB, but it is looked at from a "real world" perspective. The misunderstandings just bring out the best of the people in this series, although people find out the truth one way or another, though the only one who really can't see it is spoiler[Tenma]. Of all the stories, I think the Battle Royale parody is the best for me so far, spoiler[because it showed the really "bad" side of Harima] Laughing

Because I had a tough time deciding who 3rd would be, I thought maybe to have a tie, but like LydiaDianne did, I will make honorable mentions.

Honorable mentions:
Berserk. C'mon, who else wouldn't like a gory sex filled story that takes place in midevil times where you get to see humans fighting demons as well. Literally, when I first saw this series, I thought it was a really mindless gorefest. Then I read into more of the series and was taken in by the story spoiler[of what happened to Guts in his youth and the Eclipse and all that. ]Which makes me want to see it to the end now, to see if spoiler[he gets his revenge on Griffith.]

Life. Though very unheard of, it seems, in this country, this manga had me hooked the moment I opened it. There were twelve volumes in the bag that I had sitting next to me, and the manga wasn't even mine. I read everything in 2 hours. Though it's not finished yet, this series basically deals with ijime, what can happen when you get with the wrong crowd, how dangerous certain connections can be, and just the psychological state of the human mind. I strongly recommend this to anyone who wants to see boundaries pushed to the limit. You wont regret this one.
Senshi Mizaka

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:15 pm Reply with quote
3. Death Note I honestly didn't think I'd even touch this series. I had heard about it from some people, and the idea of a notepad that kills people didn't seem all that interesting. After reading a few chapters, Light's character started to grow on me. Even though his goal to shape the world in his own image by killing criminals seemed a bit disturbing to me, it really adds something to Death Note's suspense and excitement.

2. Bleach Another series I was unsure about. After seeing some clips from the anime, I decided to check out the manga first. Bleach has everything a shonen fan could ask for: A well-written story, action scenes, and colorful characters. But, one of the things I like most about it is the supernatural aspect.

1. One Piece I actually saw the anime before reading this. After running out of fansubs, I picked up on the manga to catch up to the Japanese story. This was when I was still unsure about reading manga. I was one of those "Why read when I can watch?" people. What makes One Piece my absolute favorite manga is the closeness of the Strawhat Pirates, the different islands the characters go to, the characters they meet, and the most intimidating villains.
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:15 pm Reply with quote
1- Love Hina: I just love this crazy chemistery of characters. its the most enjoyable harem/romace manga i have read.

2- Megatokyo: Whatever you might wanna call it is fine with me, i love the refrences to gaming and anime fandom in it. the characters have depth and suprise you all the time. I also like the pencil drawing and style of it.

3- Blame!: The pannel, the drawing, and its style has an amazing effect when are put together. This is the only action manga that i have found to be enjoyable. the backgrounds are also one of the best out there.
DaZ616

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:58 am Reply with quote
1. XXXHOLiC: This manga is intresting and is drawn with absolute detail. I dont know why but i regard the drawings as exotic and very nice. The covers for the books is what got me to buy it in the first place. The covers are beautifully drawn with a seductive and attractive colours with a religious feeling. It combines magic and comedy with a fantastic female and male lead.

2. Negima: The Manga is very funny and hilarious at most of the times. The fanservice is A-grade Laughing and the quality of the drawings is excellent. The storyline is good with a bunch of crazy characters that make you wanna find out more about.

3. Nothing really, Currently reading XXXHOLiC and Negima because i recently began to read manga.

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Pheonix-- Tezuka. This is a wonderfully gripping, millenium spanning look at humanity, life, and the cosmos. Simple, straight forward art that uses dynamic layouts. Somehow, the gists of some of his stories seem so straightforward, but he's able to make stories that are very gripping, and so well crafted that they really make you think and feel, despite the very "cartoonish" look of the whole thing.

Berserk-- Love it. Amazing to me how he's able to keep things interesting and progressing after so many volumes. I could do with less endless fights and rape scenes, but when he gets down to the nitty gritty, this man knows how to build interesting dynamics between people. I also love how he builds amazingly interesting visual metaphors-- the brand, the behelits, the god hand, etc. are all tools of the plot, and yet rich enough to really ponder and pick apart. Also, his artwork has improved more and more as the series has progressed. His pages are beautiful now.

YKK (Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou)-- I'm terribly sad that this one is no longer running (nor is it liscened, although you can find scanslations of it). Every chapter is filled a calm, easy sense of the details of life. Some are funny, some wistful, some melancholic and thoughtful. Really grabs that sense of time slowly passing, sometime without any real purpose-- much like life, to me. The characters really grew on me, and his simple, clean lines were always really nice to look at-- you can open up some of his pages, scenes of nature, hills, grassy plains, and just gaze into them for a while.

Honorable mentions--

Emma-- Loved this one. Recently got liscensed and the first volume is out. I'm a big fan of Pride and Predjudice and Jane Austen in general, as well as 19th Century literature in general, so this story of a star-crossed romance between an upperclass gentelman and a maid from another household was right up my alley. Has a very distinct "period-piece" feel about it, with a reasonalbe number of real details that flesh out Enlgand at the turn of the 20th century. The romance is great, though understated, in true 19th century style. Very good anime too, for this, with a 2nd season announced recently, which bodes well.

Nausicaa-- I, also, love this one. This series is what really drew me into manga, along with a few other titles like Akira, Area 88, and Venus Wars. Everybody else seems to love it here to, and for good reason-- it's very cinematic in layout, the characters are rich, the post-apocalytpic world very fleshed out, and the eco-philosophical-political-religous discussion really really interseting. It's very intersting to me, though, how much more often this title seems to be read in the U.S. than all the many very good Tezuka titles.
Mumei5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Berserk, 20th Century Boys, and Blade of the Immortal.

Honorable mention to Monster. Monster just seems so much better as an anime, at least so far. It is probably due to the fact that color, voices, and background music adds immensely to a drama / thriller, or because I saw the anime first, and I've come to expect that.

Of course, I like the Monster anime more than any manga or anime I've seen or read, so things may change. Berserk, 20CB, and Blade of the Immortal are all in one jumbled group already (I can't begin to order them properly), and I'll probably just end up adding Monster to the group.
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:05 am Reply with quote
I don't read anywhere near as much manga as I watch anime, so my knowledge of the more modern manga series is limited, but here's my top 3;

1. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - the first manga series that I started collecting way back in 1988. Miyazaki's world-building skills are especially evident in this manga, an epic eco-fable spanning 7 volumes (or 4 if you have the Perfect Collection). The anime movie barely touched the surface of this rich & developed manga story, one told on a grand scale. A fantastic cast of characters with an awe-inspiring storyline that covers many themes such as war, religion, the environment, etc, this manga stands head & shoulders above the rest IMO. Not one of laughs, this is a drama & character driven series, a must read IMHO.

2. Appleseed - I'm not a fan of either of the anime incarnations that bear the same name as I felt they butchered the original source material, but I adore the manga series. Whereas Shirow's world-building is not as 'polished' as Miyazaki's IMO, his dystopian tale of the future is played around the two central characters of the series. What appeals to me about the series is that although the two characters seem superhuman in their abilities, they are merely pawns in a far larger powerplay. It's just a real pity that Shirow seems to have abandoned this series in favour of GitS & other animated works.

3. Battle Angel Alita/BAA: Last Order & Saikano - I'm afraid that I can't split these two. BAA is another series that I've spent years following. Kishiro's depressing view of the future, where the rule 'survival of the fittest' holds true. Mankind struggles for existance in a place known as the Scrapyard, & the story revolves around a cyborg girl who has no memory of her past, but her conscience pushes her to do what she considers to be right, even if it's against the laws of the Scrapyard. Saikano is a series that I only read earlier on this year. It's essentially a love story between two young people, going through the awkwardness of a new relationship, trying to find one another against the horrific backdrop of a world war. I rate this as the most depressing manga I've ever read (though not as depressing as the anime of the same name); the characters have faults & feelings just like real people do, & this 'realism' adds to the building horror as the senseless war destroys the people & the world around them.

Notable also rans include; Gunslinger Girl (this was going great guns till ADV put the manga on hiatus, especially since vols 4-7 depict some real character development for the girls & their handlers) & Hellsing (I like this because us Brits are protagonists in this gore-splattered vampire tale; it doesn't happen very often, so I always cheer when we do).
Kurashima

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Kurashima wrote:
LOVE HINA
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Angelic Days
? i'm not sure yet.

Any reasons as to why they are your favorites?

ok, here it goes:

Love Hina: because i'm similar to keitaro in a lot of ways and i'd like my life to turn out like that someday

Angelic Days: It's a really good alter story to evangelion and the love interests between the characters brings a great new quality to the plot.

and third, well there is no third. I've partially read a lot of manga and none of them is my favorite.

However, I'd say Aoi House would fit right in on number 3, because of the whole Harem/ota culture within it...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13