• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Top 3 Favorite Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Kurashima wrote:
Angelic Days: It's a really good alter story to evangelion and the love interests between the characters brings a great new quality to the plot.

I think it's a great re-telling, if not better than the original.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kurashima

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Kurashima wrote:
Angelic Days: It's a really good alter story to evangelion and the love interests between the characters brings a great new quality to the plot.

I think it's a great re-telling, if not better than the original.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. What about you? been scrolin trough the thread and aside from the off topic stuff from Mr.Roboto and Wolverine_princess atemps to talk him into reason, didn't see what your favs are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:48 pm Reply with quote
#1 Kodocha: well I just finished off this Manga. It was my favorite and I loved how it could be serious and funny at the same time. I must have read the last book at least 5 time because I loved hoiw they ended it.

#2 Forbidden Dance: I like this manga because I love to dance. It follows the life of ballet and I currently take ballet and I haven't finished it yet im in the middle some where

#3 None =( I just started to read manga recently
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:32 pm Reply with quote
My top 3 havta be:

Fruits Basket, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Death Note (in no particular order) for various reasons, they're all beyond fantastic. The outlooks and insightful reasoning and characters in each have changed my own way of viewing the world and those around me.

P.S. Thanks to everyone who used spoiler-markers for their comments. We need more considerate people like this! Very Happy
deepon05

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:07 am Reply with quote
As for the topic at hand, here is the manga I read and why. I recently got into manga and have not read as much as I have seen anime. This isn't a top 3 list, rather what I have read so far. I got into manga to see what isn't revealed in the anime to the continue the story I am into. I pla on reading more manga in the future.

Genshiken- how often to you run across a story such as this and see that it can stand up to a fantasy storyline that you know (for the most part) will never happen. You think you can relate to characters in Naruto, Bleach, FMP, FMA, etc, but you know none of that stuff that happens in those stories will ever come true. But in Genshiken, it totally relates to the real world we live in. You can actually see the conflicts being real and something that happens in the story may actually happen to you. Apart from that, the character development is fantastic, especially Saki. spoiler[You see that she hates everyone in Genshiken but eventually she grows out of her imature view of the member's lifestyle and accepts the members and accepts their lifestyle and sees that they are really not that bad to be around.] The growth of the other characters like Madarame appeals to me too because I personally can relate to his situation (not the whole hentai stuff because I prefer to see the real thing Twisted Evil ) I think that all anime and manga fans should read/watch this series because it relates to most of us that are otaku.

Hunter x Hunter- I love this manga. I started to read it after I marathoned the anime and wanted to know what happened next. It took me a while to find the fansub of this series but I finally did. The arc that takes place right after Greed Island Final is so much more action packed than the previous arcs and it is much more violent and graphic than the others if you can believe that. Gon's character just sems to keep developing more and more and you just can't help want to know what happens next. I just wished that Togashi wouldn't have taken his break at the climax of the arc. The maga has stopped since Octobere and there is no word on when Togashi will come back. Hopefully by next Febuary. Some people say that the artwork in this series has gotten really bad towards the later chapters, but I think that they are good for the style it is. The story is still good enough to overshadow any discrepancies of the artwork.

Eyeshield 21- I believe that this series doesn't get enough credit by the mainstream anime/manga fans. This series is very good for a sports manga and I believe that it is more than a sports manga. It has so much more to offer than just football. The conflict in his series revolve more with past disgressions how people overcome their obstacles. People that do not get along well come together to form a bond of friendship through sportsmanship. I personally believe that this series succeeds where other sports series fail. The characters are not your macho, egotisitcal not-so-nice-people you would see on your high school football team. These guys are a group of underdogs, most of which have had no prior experience to football but come together to win with hard-work, determination and trust. The other good things about this series is how the explains for the rules and procedures of football are explained well enough so that someone reading this (or watching, I watched the anime first) can understand how football works. It is also a very comical series with many scenes that will have you laughing at the antics of all characters, main and supporting. I read this manga after seeing that the fansubs of the anime were being slow. I prefer the manga more but I also enjoy watching the anime.

Other manga I enjoy reading:
Naruto
and I am getting around to reading Bleach

I want to read the Air Gear manga to see what happens after the first season of Air Gear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
cnile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote
1.Cromartie High School- i laugh out loud at the end of almost every chapter. its like the seinfeld of manga, its about nothing. everything about it is just so absurd and WAY over the top,, its great.

2.Hunter x Hunter - my favorite of the shonen action genre, an interesting world, loads of cool and bizarre characters, loads of cool abilities with Nen, and doesnt get overly sappy (sentmental, emotional, whatever...) like alot of other shonen series.

3.i cant really decide on a third , so its a tie between Crayon Shinchan, Hellsing, Excel Saga, Sgt Frog, and lately Fullmetal Alchemist.
icebeast

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:16 pm Reply with quote
My top 3:

1). Love Hina - The characters are great, and the plot is hilarious but still knows when to be serious.

2). Negima!- Again the characters are great, and the plot is hilarious but manages to get serious when required. Plus Negima! throws in some interesting battles to spice things up.

3). Fruits Basket- I really enjoy each of the characters in this manga and watching them grow and change. The plot is the perfect blend of drama which appeals to every emotion, happy, sad, funny, etc. and the result is a really great manga.

PeaceOut->
icebeast
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Torhu_San

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote
wow, I thought that I had already posted in this thread, but I can't find my post. Hmmm....oh well, I will try again.

3 favorite....that's tough since I really like about 95% of the manga & manhwa that I buy.

1. Sailor Moon: It started as a cartoon I used to watch when I had days off in high school. Then I learned that it was originally in Japanese, and sought it out. I fell more in love. Then I learned that the show I loved so much was based on a comic book series (called Manga) of the same title. I got to finding and reading the comic books, and thus my love of manga was born. Wow, that was a long time ago, but I digress. I love the artwork, and the story arcs. I love the character development, and how you are made to root for and believe in a klutzy, school stupid girl that had the power to save the world.

2. Kare Kano: Again, I love how the characters are developed. They feel like people who you could really meet. Their story also has that true to life quality that makes you want to keep reading. These things could really happen to people. I felt literal pain for Arima and Tsubasa. My heart really ached for their situations.

3. Peach Girl: Again, a story that can make you feel real feelings for fictional characters is prime in my book. I wanted to kill Sae, but loved her by the end. The artwork is beautiful, and the story (as with the other two) make me want to re-read it over and over again.

Other series that I finished that get honorable mention:
Doubt, Hot Gimmick, Love Hina, Imadoki, Tokyo Mew Mew (the a la mode could have been longer and more developed though), Othello

Series that I haven't finished that get honorable mention (who knows, they might steal one of the top spots):
Hana Kimi, Fruits Basket, Gunslinger Girl, Perfect Girl Evolution, Ouran High School Host Club, Pichi Pichi Pitch, Guru Guru Pon Chan, Faeries' Landing

One I am unsure on: Boys over Flowers: I am only on volume 3, and it has potential to be awesome, but I just haven't gotten that far yet.
UKfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - Hayao Miyazaki
I got this because I loved the movie. The manga is so much better than the movie though. Most of the characters have different motives and roles, the world is more detailed and darker and the story is a fantastic journey.

Suki - CLAMP
It's only a short story but it really had me glued to the pages until the end. Much more ambiguous than other CLAMP stories it left me guessing what was going to happen next for much of the story. Cute and lovey but with hidden undertones, I suprised myself in liking this the most of CLAMPS manga.

Angel Sanctuary - Kaori Yuki
My absolute favourite manga. I got this after watching the promo OVA so obviously it worked well. I love the story and the whole idea behind it, yeah it has incest in but that isn't to bad. The character designs are fantastic and the drawing is detailed. I love the characters and I love the whole dark atmosphere. Plus it has angels in it, mean, cruel and merciless angels but they just look so good.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:36 pm Reply with quote
My three favorite manga are nearly my three favorite anime, only in different order. Anyway....

1. Shaman King - I prefer the manga to the anime, actually, because some of the physical comedy gags play out better in print, and the female characters aren't all complete wusses. I own all the volumes that have been released in the US so far, and I've read up to volume 20-something. It gets a little flat during some of the battle scenes (the scan group I read skipped about 5 chapters, apparently, because nothing actually happened), but it's a good story with really fun characters. The art also gets progressively better as the series goes on.

2. Fullmetal Alchemist - Not as fond of the manga as I am of the anime (mostly because of my extreme anti-Ed/Winry feelings), but I think Arakawa-sensei has a pretty weird sense of humor that manifests itself very well in her work. The art is also fantastic, from the amount of detail in the backgrounds to the sense of flow and motion; if someone so much as twitches their eye in a panel, you'll be aware of it. Last but not least, I was sad to see the FMA anime end, and I'm happy there's still a manga for me to read, for now at least. It's a shame VIZ can't bother to proofread it >.>

3. xxxHOLiC - Pure, CLAMPtacular fun. Deep down it's a very meaningful manga, but the characters and story are just so odd that one barely notices. I also love the woodcut-y style of the art, especially all the detail that goes into Yuuko-san. I've read the first five (I think) volumes, and hopefully I'll be able to start actually buying it soon.

Honorable mentions: Appleseed, NANA, Saiyuki, Nausicaa
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Antimonitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Haven't read that many yet, but...

(1) Fullmetal Alchemist - The characters and dialogue are the best part, but I really love the expressive artwork that perfectly captures the mood and contains lots of small details that can be easily missed, yet contribute a lot to the story. I also like that the plot moves quickly and the story has enough mysteries and intrigue to keep my attention.

(2) Uzumaki - Initial a series of only tangentially-related stories that follow a central theme, but then come together in a truly bizarre ending. A lot of disturbing imagery that was captured perfectly by the artwork and a number of completely off-the-wall ideas and situations that could have ended up silly, but were presented in a manner that made them unsettling. The third volume (where the 'plot' really picked up) wasn't as good as the first two, but still one of the best 'horror' manga I've read.

(3) Battle Royale - A suspenseful psychological drama with great art and realistic characters. This was the first longer manga series I read and still one of my favorites. While some of Shuuya's speeches get long-winded and there are some needlessly repetitive flashbacks, the main characters were fleshed out very well and there were enough twists to keep the plot interesting.

Honourable Mention - Gyo - By the creator of Uzumaki, another bizarre horror story that I just couldn't put down. Great artwork, plot and characters, but the ending was really abrupt and a little disappointing. The back-up story, "The Enigma of Amigara Fault", is even more disturbing and stands as my favorite short manga tale.
fusion duelist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:44 am Reply with quote
1. Ghost in the shell- Even if you just read the puppetmasters speech at the end you got your money's worth.

2. Fullmetal alchemist (currently finished with volume 12)- (I wish I knew how to do spoilers) The homuluci (sp?) have slightly different personalities than in the anime.

3. Akira (currently finished with volume 5)- It's accually grittier than the anime, and I prefer kanedas character in the manga.
Rozzer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:22 am Reply with quote
My favourite 3 Manga would have to be:

Naruto
So far I've collected all 12 volumes that have been released here in the states. And I've also managed to get the rest of the 338 chapters as well, great stuff.

Bleach
Same thing with Naruto, I own the first 16 volumes that have been released in the states. But I've refrained from downloading and reading the other chapters since the anime finally has gotten back to the real story.

Death Note
Simply, and utterly a complete masterpiece, nothing more could possibly be said to praise the Manga series.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:36 pm Reply with quote
My favorite 3 manga would probably go to;

Oh My Goddess--- This was the first manga I ever read so it holds a special place in my heart. I read this before I knew what anime was and without it would maybe never have realized some of the shows I used to watch as a child were anime. this title really got me into the anime/manga world so it's special to me just for that. The fact that it has such a good story line and great character development and interactions also really sets it apart from many other mangas out there. It's one of the longest running mangas ever and it continues to deliver great stories with very "real" characters. A lot of the day to day problems some of the characters face are more real then you'll fine in other titles. Sure there is the fantasy parts to it and the comedy. That's another great job this manga does. The comedy serves to help lighten the mood at places but it never takes away from the drama and development, only adds to it, A truly well done manga and I'm glad there's more to come.

Rouruni Kenshin-- What can I say, I like samurai. I thought the story behind it was pretty good. I don't think the watered down tv series did much to help it but overall I think the manga does a very good job with the story and characters. I also just personally like the idea behind Kenshin and seeing what new adventures he gets into

Fruits Basket---You cannot find a more dramatic manga series I think then Fruits Basket. The manga has some of the most dramatic and deep story lines I've ever seen period. The character relationships are what really drive this manga. They manage to really capture human emotions and turn this series into something very deep and meaningful.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andersonfan16

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:10 pm Reply with quote
1) Hellsing Great manga. Lots of action, incredibly good humor, and a fairly good story. And the art looks great.
2) Fullmetal Alchemist This is a great manga, with a good anime that was faithful to the manga up to a point. Solid story, good art, and enough humor to balance the serious issues that sometimes pop up. Another plus is the availbilty is better than the other two on my list.
3) Trigun and Trigun Maximum Good art, pretty good story, and a good amount of suprises. A bit hard to follow the flow of action at times, but not impossible... I'm asumming. The characters are amusing and deep. I especially like the Eye of Micheal members Wolfwood, Livio, and Razlo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13