• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Opinion on OEL Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParadoxCafe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:14 pm Reply with quote
What are your feelings on OEL manga? Do you hate it? Love it? Let's hear what everyone has to say!
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I hate that people call it 'manga'. Call me purist, but I feel that the American slang-ified word 'manga' should apply specifically to works from Japan. 'Manga-style comic'? Sure, that's fine, that what it is. But it's still, techincally, a comic. Why use the foreign word if it's not the foreign product?

Nitpicking on terms aside, I got no issues with it. Some is good, and some is bad, just like authentic manga. I personally don't own any yet, but I'm sure sooner or later I'm going to give in and buy Drama Con. Maybe Peach Fuzz... I have to see how big the ferret's role is first... (I did get my sister into I Luv Halloween.)
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:36 pm Reply with quote
ParadoxCafe wrote:
What are your feelings on OEL manga? Do you hate it? Love it? Let's hear what everyone has to say!

What about you? When you start an opinion thread, the idea is to give your opinion first.

Also, yusuke1022, DO NOT drag threads off-topic!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LilacShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
I hate that people call it 'manga'. Call me purist, but I feel that the American slang-ified word 'manga' should apply specifically to works from Japan. 'Manga-style comic'? Sure, that's fine, that what it is. But it's still, techincally, a comic. Why use the foreign word if it's not the foreign product?

I pretty much agree with this, but it doesn't really bug me that people call it manga. (It's not like you can stop people from calling it that.) I haven't read any OEL manga or whatever it should be called, but I might eventually. It's not that I have anything against it though. I watch anime-style American animation like Teen Titans, so I don't have anything against American manga-style comics. I'd read it if it was good. I've just never seen any that really interest me. =/
ParadoxCafe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

What about you? When you start an opinion thread, the idea is to give your opinion first.

Sorry I just wanted to see what people wanted to say I didn't think anybody wanted to see what I thought. Anyway, I don't like it. I think it is bleh and I don't understand why they call it manga when it's not. I have read some previews on the internet and I don't like the art, style, or story. I never plan on buying or reading them. And yes sadly I'am biased. If it's not from Japan, Korea, or China I will not read it. If I said this on the Tokyopop forum everyone would kill me. >.<
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:21 pm Reply with quote
ParadoxCafe wrote:
Nagisa wrote:

Sorry I just wanted to see what people wanted to say I didn't think anybody wanted to see what I thought. Anyway, I don't like it. I think it is bleh and I don't understand why they call it manga when it's not. I have read some previews on the internet and I don't like the art, style, or story. I never plan on buying or reading them. And yes sadly I'am biased. If it's not from Japan, Korea, or China I will not read it. If I said this on the Tokyopop forum everyone would kill me. >.<

Writing off a growing movement in comics based on a couple of previews you saw and the simple fact that they aren't asian is the kind of stupidity that effects far to many manga fans today. For the record, I'm not a big fan of Tokyopop's "Global manga" movement. Most of the products are subpar, not because Americans can't adopt elements of manga into their own comics, but probobly because of how they operate buisness. There are good OEL titles out there such as Dramacon, Sorcerers and Secretaries and East Coast Rising. There are a TON of great American comics that incorperate a strong manga influence to various degrees. Even if I dislike most of Tokyopop's titles and strongly disagree with alot of what they do as a company, writing them off for the simple fact that their creators are non-Japanese is moronic.
As for calling OEL/Global titles manga, I really don't mind. You could go on and on about how using the term suggests that all manga follows the big-eyes/heavy-screentone style, but in the end we should be devoting our energies to better discussions. If TP wants to use the word to help sell products, then fine.
Hoenheim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I've only read a volume of Rising Stars of Manga (because the winner lives in the same city as me), and I found it for the most part decent, not so bad I didn't think it should be grouped with other manga though. It's not like Japanese people are better at writing manga than americans (as people); they just get a bigger manga influence so they can write more of what they're used to. I have to say though, that manga by the guy who lives near me I got the volume for (Atomic King Daidogan), was great. I like it more than a lot of shonen manga I've read. So basicly, I don't have a problem with OEL manga, but I think in general, Japanese manga (well, manga) tends to be better than other manga for the reason I mentioned above.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:06 am Reply with quote
I'm not against being called manga, but I don't particuarly like it, even though I'm an aspiring comic artist who happens to have a manga-inspired stylr. Someone else on the forum said on another thread that 'MIC' or manga inspired comics, would be a more acurate term, and I have to agree. That way, we won't be calling it manga, but we are seperating it from traditional American comics.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really sure whether "manga" is appropriate for OEL/world publications, though I don't overly mind it because I find that these works are closer to manga than to most North American comics, as far as size and style goes. However, I do find that I don't really have much interest in most of them, except Dramacon which I really love and can't wait to read more of. But at the same time, I find a lot of Japanese manga doesn't appeal to me either. So I really don't find OEL to be either superiour or inferiour, though it does suffer from being not as well-developed a movement as manga which has a long history.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not really sure whether "manga" is appropriate for OEL/world publications, though I don't overly mind it because I find that these works are closer to manga than to most North American comics

That of course brings up an interesting discussion considering a number of Tokyopop's products bear more resemblance to American indie comics that they do manga, at least in terms of art. Why doesn't Oni Press label their titles that are heavily influenced by manga OEL? Like I said in my previous post, I really don't mind Tokyopop using the term to sell books, but no matter which way you look at it they aren't manga. Initially I disliked the term because it seemed like people were trying to suggest there is a single, underlying style of artwork and storytelling that all manga follow (which is absurd), but now I don't think that's the case since they've released a range of titles that don't follow the "big-eyes, screen-tones" formula.
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:00 am Reply with quote
I can't comprehend while people debate over this. I consider any book that's manga-esque manga, just because it makes life so much more simple.

But that does not mean everyone should. Just make your own decision and stop bickering over it.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I can't comprehend while people debate over this. I consider any book that's manga-esque manga, just because it makes life so much more simple.

But that does not mean everyone should. Just make your own decision and stop bickering over it.

Bickering is fun. That's why this subject is brought up so often.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:54 am Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Quote:

Bickering is fun. That's why this subject is brought up so often.

Yeah, I mean, 4Kids handles the role of "Anime Butcherer" well, so why not Tokyopo as a "Manga Butcherer?"

Still, I find alot of OEL stuff as "Manga" questionable. Most of Tokyopop's selection ranges from Decent to Book Burning Fodder, with alot of it in the latter category. I severely question at least two artists artistic capabilities questionable, and one writer extremely questionable.

Seven Seas seems to have the right balance of nice artwork with good storylines. In fact, I put them as the closest Manga artisticlly wise.

And Megatokyo......One thought comes to mind after seeing a photo of Fred. EXAGERATE MUCH, FRED-CHAN??
Wakaiba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:55 pm Reply with quote
It's suprising that "foreign" fandom of manga spawned its own branch to me. I aggree that it shouldn't be called "manga" so to say because that modifies manga's definition, but at the same time it's not a bad thing. I find some titles refreshing to read, and OELs are always interesting in how they differ from manga. I like Svetlana Chmakova's artwork, and how Dramacon's storyline revolves around the American anime industry. It's a big shout-out to her success' origin. I met her at Anime Boston, and she seems very grateful to be where she is. I admire her as an artist, even though she's creating "manga" without being Japanese.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, which I may be, but don't the Japanese refer to all comics as "manga?"
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2