• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unbreakable Machine-Doll (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I liked this, but there are so many questions left unanswered, so I hope we can get a second season and some answers.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I liked this, but there are so many questions left unanswered, so I hope we can get a second season and some answers.

What I want to see in S2 is just how far Yaya gets with her master. That is one amorous and possessive automaton. And what was that Shoko was saying about her "eating" him?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
didn't Kimberly and the school doctor have some sort of conversation about Raishin'sspoiler[ life force or mana slowly being drained every time he battles a couple episodes ago]? perhaps it transfers to Yaya which allows Shouko to use what she absorbs, or something
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
First I'll say I enjoyed seeing the stream on Funimation's site.

As to the series itself, this series could turn into another long series depending on how the countdown from 97(96?) more battles goes. The series could easily go a full 24 episodes and still not scratch the surface, however, it could also easily go well beyond the 48 episode range with current pacing if no fights are "skipped" which could be done in any episode and just show flashbacks (quick) of previous fights to get to a specific number. Personally I'd hope the series is not dragged out like so many Shonen Jump series (eg: Bleach).

This series has the potential to make a fairly lasting impact based off the first season. I'd go so far to say it may end up impacting Anime as a whole for a long while to come, and even gain steam similar to how Shakugan No Shana has affected the industry (so many references and cameo's).

The writing and pacing of the series (S1 complete), I find to be perfect, and all the characters have depth to them, which is fairly uncommon to a shonen/harem series.

I look forward to seeing what other events unfold for this story.
iamPuppet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
Steel Angel wrote:
First I'll say I enjoyed seeing the stream on Funimation's site.

As to the series itself, this series could turn into another long series depending on how the countdown from 97(96?) more battles goes. The series could easily go a full 24 episodes and still not scratch the surface, however, it could also easily go well beyond the 48 episode range with current pacing if no fights are "skipped" which could be done in any episode and just show flashbacks (quick) of previous fights to get to a specific number. Personally I'd hope the series is not dragged out like so many Shonen Jump series (eg: Bleach).

This series has the potential to make a fairly lasting impact based off the first season. I'd go so far to say it may end up impacting Anime as a whole for a long while to come, and even gain steam similar to how Shakugan No Shana has affected the industry (so many references and cameo's).

The writing and pacing of the series (S1 complete), I find to be perfect, and all the characters have depth to them, which is fairly uncommon to a shonen/harem series.

I look forward to seeing what other events unfold for this story.

I agree with a lot of what you have said. When I first saw the anime I thought it was pretty good, but once I watched more and more of it I started to get that feeling at the end of an episode that I get when I am watching longer series. That feeling where you feel like you now have more questions then you started with and even less answers to the original ones you had, but the good thing is that it always kept me wanting more.

With that said, I wouldn't mind if the show went on for a longer time. Something where they covered all the fights from 96 or 97 wherever they were. The one thing I wouldn't be happy about is if they rushed out the fights just to try to tie the series up in a short amount of time. Of course I don't want to see this turn into a 200+ episode shonen/harem series, but something with a decent length that could keep my interest is something I wouldn't mind.

As for the writing and the animation. I know it took me a while to get used to the art style but now that I am used to it I like it. I guess all in all I agree with pretty much everything that the quote said other than the idea of the series turning into a longer series.

Last edited by iamPuppet on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
iamPuppet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
EDIT: Ignore this post. I am slightly moronic when it comes to the syntax of threads and trying to post specific parts of other peoples quotes and what not.. Anyways everything I needed/felt I had to say is in the post above.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
iamPuppet wrote:

With that said, I wouldn't mind if the show went on for a longer time. Something where they covered all the fights from 96 or 97 wherever they were. The one thing I wouldn't be happy about is if they rushed out the fights just to try to tie the series up in a short amount of time. Of course I don't want to see this turn into a 200+ episode shonen/harem series, but something with a decent length that could keep my interest is something I wouldn't mind.

I suppose I should clarify. I'm not against the show being a long series. I am against it being made longer then it needs to be because a fight gets dragged out for 4 episodes (thus far the series has not done this). It's simply a matter of preference granted, but i do not want to see another Bleach that ends up containing as much fluff as it does actual content. The first season didn't have any filler, I hope the writer and producers keep this current form/style that they have already produced as it would do the series an injustice to try and make it something it shouldn't be, nor desired in my opinion.

On the other hand, as i stated I could see the series having some fights skipped. The series has already shown that Hiro/Yaya have already beaten "higher ranked" mages. It is not unfeasible for a few foes to simply not show up as they did in the last section of the first season, thus some wins may be obtained by default.

With current pacing of the story line, you are correct, the series could easily be in the hundreds, but 3-4 episodes per arc times 96 to go, might be pushing it for any fan if some fights aren't skipped. I think there is a middle ground, and i hope it is found by the writers and producers. Cause thus far, the series is better then excellent for it's genre.

As to more questions being gleamed and few answers, it hints to just the start of the story and the depth it may choose to reach. In this regard I'm quite hopeful, as it has teased quite a few things that meet the required "this is going to get interesting..." to keep people watching.

getchman wrote:
didn't Kimberly and the school doctor have some sort of conversation about Raishin'sspoiler[ life force or mana slowly being drained every time he battles a couple episodes ago]? perhaps it transfers to Yaya which allows Shouko to use what she absorbs, or something

What i gained from this may be overly taken by the foreshadow style of writing here but I believe Yaya may be spoiler[ slowly killing Hiro, due to her design as a banned doll. There's often a price for revenge, and part of the show may be to see how far Hiro is willing to take it. ] This foreshadowing is also hinted at by another character spoiler[ Frey and Rabbi, to the point that even blood was used as fuel for Rabbi]. This could make the series "revenge" theme go in a direction that really makes the viewer think, to the point of being sympathetic, although it could also become a letdown if done poorly.

For now it's a wait and see, but it's looking good so far.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
I notice the banner ad on ANN is now for this anime, but over on the Funi web site there are still only 12 videos. It seems a bit ironic (if not disingenuous) to advertised it as a "Complete Series" with it in that state.

Has anyone seen the advertised OVAs and able to say if they are worth buying the BD for?

The encyclopedia doesn't list any new episodes or the advertised OVAs. Anyone working on updating that?

I always wanted to see more of this anime but it is clearly unfinished.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6