• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which anime has your favorite character designs?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psycho Sting

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah this topic is about which anime has your Favourite character Design ( not Your favourite character)and why it is your favourite
THe anime that has my favourite character design is gundam seed/ destiny/fafner Because there designs are so well done with the eyes and the hair and the character animation is so fluent
The same person did all three anime character designs

That is what anime characters should look like in my oppinion.
So lets hear yours now.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Shakugan no Shana. Itou Noizi's chibi character designs are just adorable. Plus, the eyes are unlike any kind of anime eyes I've ever seen (large detailed eyes), and the hair is designed in a way that is attractive but not unrealistic.

Plus, Shana is moelicious!(Had to slide that comment in)
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I would have to say Witch Hunter Robin because the charaters can do extraordinary things but look like people you walk by every day. Except for the trenchcoats 24/7.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Psycho Sting wrote:
Yeah this topic is about which anime has your Favourite character Design ( not Your favourite character)and why it is your favourite
THe anime that has my favourite character design is gundam seed/ destiny/fafner Because there designs are so well done with the eyes and the hair and the character animation is so fluent
The same person did all three anime character designs

That is what anime characters should look like in my oppinion.
So lets hear yours now.

I completely agree with that. My favorite designs are Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny (designs were some of the only things to like in this one). As you said, it was the eyes. They had that luminous, soothing, deep feel to them, like a sparkling ocean. Every time I think of Gundam SEED, I think of Kira with his baby-face and his big, deep, innocent eyes (I'm probably exaggerating at this point).

I do also like the Rurouni Kenshin design when Kenshin goes Hitokiri Battousai. His eyes are the big attraction as well. They carry so much hatred and anger and the will to kill in them. I wish I had eyes like that, except without the kill part.
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I liked the character designs for Rurouni Kenshin also, it had realistic facial features....
halochief_90

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:23 am Reply with quote
Ghibli movies, no doubt. It has a very recognizable style and the designs are neither too complex nor sparsly detailed (It's hard to pick a single Ghibli movie however).

As far as TV series' animation goes, I would also with probably go with Gundam SEED or maybe Fullmetal Alchemist. Hard to decide.
xxfriskoplaya

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:27 am Reply with quote
i love the character designs of shakugan no shana and the melancholy of haruhi suzumiyah. that one person who designed both character designs of the two animes is hella good.

as the person up there sed.. the eyes are big and detailed and i like how each character looks.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:44 am Reply with quote
I particularly liked the character designs for Last Exile. They are different from most everything else that’s out there. I very much enjoyed the whole design of the Last Exile world, and the character designs were a big part of what make it special. I think the art in that series works well with the story.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:11 am Reply with quote
For 2005, the best character designs in anime released in the U.S. were for the Heian Arc (i.e. the first 13 episodes) of Otogi Zoshi. Hard to beat the rich period costuming and fine craftsmanship of physical details.

For 2004 I rated Twelve Kingdoms as the best. The costuming is just so lush and gorgeous, and it boasts some of the prettiest character designs ever.

Both also rank among my favorites, but I'm a sucker for period costuming, whether it's animation or live-action.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fui

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:13 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Shakugan no Shana. Itou Noizi's chibi character designs are just adorable. Plus, the eyes are unlike any kind of anime eyes I've ever seen (large detailed eyes), and the hair is designed in a way that is attractive but not unrealistic.

Oh man you beat me to it (and to the oh god Shana is hot). Ito Noizi's eye designs alone are enough to win over all for me. She also did the designs for The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi in case you didn't know. I recently switched to this Shana winamp skin and don't think I'll get tired of it for quite a while. Shana as a flame haze is really cool.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:49 am Reply with quote
This is a REALLY hard question for me to answer, as I find it hard to seperate character designs from animation quality, so it took me a while and looking through my list 4-5 times, but here we go:

Although I don't enjoy being a lemming... I think I might have to agree with everyone else Rolling Eyes Shana is almost too much for me to handle, and gets my vote for favorite. There's just not much you can say that accurately describes Shana's style besides the afore mentioned "moelicious".

Tenjou Tenge is probably my second favorite though, those girls are just really... really hot; and the guys look really... really hardcore (maybe too much so actually).

Monster and Twelve Kingdoms get honorable mentions too in my book for the similar reasons. Both have a more realistic shaped face and are simply appealing to look at, from anime to black and white pictures. The costumes in Twelve Kingdoms add a lot for me too, I'm a HUGE fan of anything from that era.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:16 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Monster and Twelve Kingdoms get honorable mentions too in my book for the similar reasons. Both have a more realistic shaped face and are simply appealing to look at, from anime to black and white pictures. The costumes in Twelve Kingdoms add a lot for me too, I'm a HUGE fan of anything from that era.
I agree with you on being a fan of that type of era....and also Monster (My favorite in nearly everything) I do enjoy how realistic the people are in terms of how they look and act.

But for me I love Witch Hunter Robin and also Gilgamesh, why you might ask. Because the characters are just so damn dark/mysterious and sexy. Everyone just looks so hot, these two animes are just so appealing to one of your senses, (Give ya two guesses Wink) also with Robin I dig the the long coat look of that series. It makes me wish I was still back East so I could wear my long coat.....but here in Cali it's just too damn hot Mad!
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:51 am Reply with quote
Or perhaps the better question is, who are your favourite character designers?
For that I'd currently have to go with:
Noizi Ito (Shakugan no Shana and Suzumiya Haruhi, for the eyes in particular)
Range Murata (Last Exile, although I can't point to any particular element of feature and say 'this is why I like it', but there are some gorgeous drawings of Alvis and Lavie)
Megumi Kadonosono (Kiddy Grade and Uta Kata, again no specific reason I can put my finger on, although some of Lumiere's outfits fail badly)
Keiji Gotoh (Ruri and Gatekeepers/21, I think those big round eyes have a lot to do with the appeal)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:19 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:

I think I'd be hard-pressed to pick a favorite, but Shana's up there. I haven't seen it yet... from what I've read, I'm not even sure I like the storyline... but I have the first two volumes pre-ordered for the simple fact that I can't resist the art! Very Happy
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:33 am Reply with quote
Even looking past the fact that Revolutionary Girl Utena is my favorite anime, it still has my favorite character designs and some of my favorite overall art.

I don't know precisely what it is that I find so appealing about the design. I think a lot of it is the very angular style used. Chins, body curves, everything is sharp edged. It fits well with the concepts in the show, victims being viscious as well as the villains, etc. And it's not a style I've seen very frequently in the anime I watch. Rose of Versailles has some similar character stylings, but it seems a lot of Utena art was heavily influenced by that classic, so that makes sense. For unrelated anime, Magic Knight Rayearth also has a fairly angular style (especially the chins and eyes) that I really enjoy, and it probably has my second favorite character designs.

This isn't to say I don't enjoy soft or more realistic character designs like those in Haibane Renmei, but the angular style of Revolutionary Girl Utena has always greatly stood out to me.

Oh, and I'm also quite fond of the character designs in NANA. But that is mainly because of the constant costume changes that make it feel more realistic, even if the faces, etc, are often a bit absurd/unrealistic. The attention to detail just really pulls me in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5